There are 188 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Lmao shanny just said dudes not starter material. 3rd stringer straight up

WHY TRADE UP THEN

To get his ideal developmental prospect because none of the other ones are worth it.

Obviously he is a 3rd stringer RIGHT NOW. But if they got Kizer, it would have been the same thing really.
Stupid f**king pick.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Now everyone don't get your panties in a bunch. There's a reason why Kyle is a HC of an NFL team and we're not.

Its clear he has an eye for QBs too. That alone makes me a little intrigued with Beathard, but in the 3rd rd you're really looking at a developmental backup QB with small chance of being a starter. We'll see how he develops, but I think the plan is clearly to defer on QBs this year and go hard after Cousins in 2018 or top QB prospect in next years draft.

That definitely looks like the plan.
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
Originally posted by slowriot:
Nick Wagoner‏Verified account @nwagoner 5m5 minutes agoMore

To be clear, Kyle Shanahan said he believes Beathard can eventually develop to compete for starting job. Just not immediately.

Year 6 of Shanahans contract

1 qb a year I guess 1 has to hit. Worst pick so far IMO
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
All of this here

I really think people need to really calm the hell down. Gonna quote myself from another post:

Well, imma trust that this is a guy that Shanny has wanted to develop. What I've been reading about this kid he fits with what Shanny wants to do offensively:

Pro Football Focus - "Beathard's arm is very good, as he can make the majority of NFL throws. He is a fastball thrower, with little to no finesse in his game of being a true passer. When he is playing in rhythm and knows where to go with the ball, he delivers on time and accurately. Certain throws required to throw up and over defenders he struggles with, as he needs a clear lane to throw through. The biggest questions come with his feel in the pocket and ability to see the field clearly to consistently get through reads, as well as decision-making particularly late in the down. Beathard's arm and overall game is enough to warrant a late-round selection and a chance to develop as a third-string QB."

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/105631-round-pick-49ers-select-iowa-beathard/

I think we have a kid that Shanny can take his time to develop and clean him up. He played in a pro-style system, so I think the academics of the pro game won't be a major learning curve as some of the other QB's. So, In Shanny I Trust.
This criticism is really ridiculous. Every QB Shanny has worked with he's improved. I didn't see this coming either, but looking at what this kid brings he looks to be the type of QB that can run Shanny's offense. Plus the NO preassure at all for him to start. With a 6 year coaching contract Shanny has incentive to take his time developing, and not rush him to the field. We got him at the end of the 3rd round for crying out loud.

People really need to get a grip.

Good post. Beathard has starter physical traits, but a ton of consistency issues. The bolded part is key. When he's protected and in rhythm he can throw strikes. He needs some seasoning, maybe Shanahan can work some magic with him and find some consistency. His pro-style experience will help him, but he's got work to do if he wants to be a starting QB.
Originally posted by awp8912:

To be clear, Kyle Shanahan said he believes Beathard can eventually develop to compete for starting job. Just not immediately.

Wow. Just think bout that. A guy from a pro-style offense who is very smart will take years just to develop in Shanny's system and compete........WTF is wrong with this coach? This is like the antithesis of how the other teams operate. Another team with such a complicated offense is O'Brien in Houston. These guys scream of never winning. You gotta give them a decade to produce.

Do you jokesters honestly believe if they got Kizer or Webb, they'd be competing for a starting job immediately? Anything after round 2 is a developmental project.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Lmao shanny just said dudes not starter material. 3rd stringer straight up

WHY TRADE UP THEN

To get his ideal developmental prospect because none of the other ones are worth it.

Obviously he is a 3rd stringer RIGHT NOW. But if they got Kizer, it would have been the same thing really.

Kizer would have been too costly to move up for
Historic day: 1st Qargerback in team history

"Might he have been there at 109? That's what we had to weigh," 49ers John Lynch said. "But at the end of the day, we felt like it was worth it to be able to go to bed knowing that we had a player that we liked and want the opportunity develop at the qargerback position."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-trade-select-qb-cj-beathard-third-round-2017-nfl-draft
[ Edited by slowriot on Apr 28, 2017 at 9:33 PM ]
I didn't like the pick cuz I thought it was too early but Kyle knows more and plus He ain't going to start anytime soon and maybe get better as the years go, might or might not be a future starter but will at least be backup. Kyle admits he needs to be developed so I ain't worried.
Joe Montana was drafted in the 3rd round and wasn't highly sought after either.

CJ Beathard will be starting game 1.
Historic day: 1st Qargerback in team history

"Might he have been there at 109? That's what we had to weigh," 49ers John Lynch said. "But at the end of the day, we felt like it was worth it to be able to go to bed knowing that we had a player that we liked and want the opportunity develop at the qargerback position."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-trade-select-qb-cj-beathard-third-round-2017-nfl-draft

After reading this, are people really upset with this pick, still?
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by awp8912:

Wow. Just think bout that. A guy from a pro-style offense who is very smart will take years just to develop in Shanny's system and compete........WTF is wrong with this coach? This is like the antithesis of how the other teams operate. Another team with such a complicated offense is O'Brien in Houston. These guys scream of never winning. You gotta give them a decade to produce.

Do you jokesters honestly believe if they got Kizer or Webb, they'd be competing for a starting job immediately? Anything after round 2 is a developmental project.

I have been on the zone for 9 years laughing at zoners that "know" more than NFL coaches.
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
Kizer would have been too costly to move up for

Frankly I don't see Kizer as being that superior a prospect to Beathard. Bigger name and more hyped but not much separates them as passers. Kizer went 52nd. Beathard went 104th. I felt Beathard was being underrated going into the draft, but now I'm surprised how high he actually went lol.
Some of you are absolutely ridiculous.

I didn't like the pick, especially with Nate Peterman there but our HC has a track record of being spot on in his QB evaluations. I'll trust him or at least give him the benefit of the doubt on this pick.

Trading away a 7th rounder is not a big deal. Anyone thinking they know bettter than Shanahan can go...

Not sure how anyone can b***h after Thomas, Foster and Witherspoon and extra picks next year to help us add players or use the picks to move up.
Share 49ersWebzone