There are 219 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Joe Montana was drafted in the 3rd round and wasn't highly sought after either.

OMG
This guy was graded a 6th or 7th round talent. We could of easily got him in the 4th
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by slowriot:
Historic day: 1st Qargerback in team history

"Might he have been there at 109? That's what we had to weigh," 49ers John Lynch said. "But at the end of the day, we felt like it was worth it to be able to go to bed knowing that we had a player that we liked and want the opportunity develop at the qargerback position."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-trade-select-qb-cj-beathard-third-round-2017-nfl-draft

After reading this, are people really upset with this pick, still?

If thats the QB they want, I'm cool with them doing what it takes to get him. Don't wait to see if he falls to your pick. As Lynch said, get your guy and sleep soundly.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Yep, kid just needs to keep working hard and be ready when his time comes.
I

"Might he have been there at 109? That's what we had to weigh," 49ers John Lynch said. "But at the end of the day, we felt like it was worth it to be able to go to bed knowing that we had a player that we liked and want the opportunity develop at the qargerback position."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-trade-select-qb-cj-beathard-third-round-2017-nfl-draft

I believe they traded up right before the steelers who are looking for a QB too
Originally posted by genus49:
Some of you are absolutely ridiculous.

I didn't like the pick, especially with Nate Peterman there but our HC has a track record of being spot on in his QB evaluations. I'll trust him or at least give him the benefit of the doubt on this pick.

Trading away a 7th rounder is not a big deal. Anyone thinking they know bettter than Shanahan can go...

Not sure how anyone can b***h after Thomas, Foster and Witherspoon and extra picks next year to help us add players or use the picks to move up.

My thoughts exactly. I don't like the pick, but what do I know. Shanahan likes him so I'll keep an open mind. For now he's a developmental QB. Hoyer is the clear-cut starter for 2017, we'll see if Beathard shows promise. If not, Cousins in 2018.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Let me guess, PFF says he's the next rothlesburger
Cousins is clearly coming next year and CJ is his long term back up.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

After reading this, are people really upset with this pick, still?

If thats the QB they want, I'm cool with them doing what it takes to get him. Don't wait to see if he falls to your pick. As Lynch said, get your guy and sleep soundly.

I played qargerback in college. It's not an easy position.
Originally posted by 16to87:

OMG

Relax bro, people are stressing way too hard tonight. But Montana was rated with an average arm prior to his draft. Just saying.

Originally posted by genus49:
Some of you are absolutely ridiculous.

I didn't like the pick, especially with Nate Peterman there but our HC has a track record of being spot on in his QB evaluations. I'll trust him or at least give him the benefit of the doubt on this pick.

Trading away a 7th rounder is not a big deal. Anyone thinking they know bettter than Shanahan can go...

Not sure how anyone can b***h after Thomas, Foster and Witherspoon and extra picks next year to help us add players or use the picks to move up.

I don't understand how anyone can b***h about this. People seemed to have been really happy that were pounding defense hard already. We were already expected to suck ass on offense this year and tank for 2018.

Unless they wanted to target a specific EDGE player or WR in the late 3rd.
Kap fans are crying the loudest.

This pick made me scratch my head but it's pretty much a 4th rd pick. QB's taken in the 4th or un this case at the end of the third aren't expected to be the FQB.

Thus, it is what it is. Shanahan has a real history of picking good QB's late and none of us have that history so we should shut up.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
All of this here

I really think people need to really calm the hell down. Gonna quote myself from another post:

Well, imma trust that this is a guy that Shanny has wanted to develop. What I've been reading about this kid he fits with what Shanny wants to do offensively:

Pro Football Focus - "Beathard's arm is very good, as he can make the majority of NFL throws. He is a fastball thrower, with little to no finesse in his game of being a true passer. When he is playing in rhythm and knows where to go with the ball, he delivers on time and accurately. Certain throws required to throw up and over defenders he struggles with, as he needs a clear lane to throw through. The biggest questions come with his feel in the pocket and ability to see the field clearly to consistently get through reads, as well as decision-making particularly late in the down. Beathard's arm and overall game is enough to warrant a late-round selection and a chance to develop as a third-string QB."

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/105631-round-pick-49ers-select-iowa-beathard/

I think we have a kid that Shanny can take his time to develop and clean him up. He played in a pro-style system, so I think the academics of the pro game won't be a major learning curve as some of the other QB's. So, In Shanny I Trust.
This criticism is really ridiculous. Every QB Shanny has worked with he's improved. I didn't see this coming either, but looking at what this kid brings he looks to be the type of QB that can run Shanny's offense. Plus the NO preassure at all for him to start. With a 6 year coaching contract Shanny has incentive to take his time developing, and not rush him to the field. We got him at the end of the 3rd round for crying out loud.

People really need to get a grip.

Good post. Beathard has starter physical traits, but a ton of consistency issues. The bolded part is key. When he's protected and in rhythm he can throw strikes. He needs some seasoning, maybe Shanahan can work some magic with him and find some consistency. His pro-style experience will help him, but he's got work to do if he wants to be a starting QB.
Exactly! Throwing with accuracy and knowing where to go with the ball are vital traits to run in Shanny's offense, and he has that as natural abilities. That means above the shoulders he's just what Shanny needs. I think the part of his game that needs to be fixed are fixable with time. He won't be starting year one. There are 2 capable veteran QB's in front of him. He'll have all the time and teaching he needs to be a starter in the future. People need to show a little patience.
Actually Minnesota called the niners and asked if they were interested in a trade.
Lots of quality players available. Too early for a questionable pick. I guess we have to take this one on faith?
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Apr 28, 2017 at 9:46 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone