There are 269 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Do u believe teams draft in the 3rd round for potential starters or good solid career back ups? Just want to see what some of you believe GM's do
he should be at least very good backup. could have drafted some future starter for another position for sure.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I don't really worry about them feeling the need to move up a few spots, just to make sure they get their guy.... even though everything else says that CJ was going to be available rounds later.

what I do worry about is what has stopped Potential Great Coaches, from being great was ego.

Kyle is the head coach of our team, not just the OC. I just hope he doesn't stick stubbornly with only "his way" with QBs, even if being cute with picks..no matter what...even at the expense of the rest the offense... the rest of the team.

I'm going to give CJ a chance obviously, but will be paying attention over these next years with Kyles approach to QBs. Seems he likes QBs who fit his system, over talent. Which would make sense... but Football is such a complex sport...that it's not that straight forward/simple.

I just don't want that to be his downfall down the road... Like Jim Harbough sticking with Roman/offensive approach. Mike Martz... Chip Kelly sticking to shut gun no matter what. All that knowledge, that potential...not coming to fruition because of ego.

Anyway, too much thinking on my part...lol.

Dude, it was pretty much a 4th round pick.
I wonder why they liked him better than Peterson probably arm strength
I don't really worry about them feeling the need to move up a few spots, just to make sure they get their guy.... even though everything else says that CJ was going to be available rounds later.

what I do worry about is what has stopped Potential Great Coaches, from being great was ego.

Kyle is the head coach of our team, not just the OC. I just hope he doesn't stick stubbornly with only "his way" with QBs, even if being cute with picks..no matter what...even at the expense of the rest the offense... the rest of the team.

I'm going to give CJ a chance obviously, but will be paying attention over these next years with Kyles approach to QBs. Seems he likes QBs who fit his system, over talent. Which would make sense... but Football is such a complex sport...that it's not that straight forward/simple.

I just don't want that to be his downfall down the road... Like Jim Harbough sticking with Roman/offensive approach. Mike Martz... Chip Kelly sticking to shut gun no matter what. All that knowledge, that potential...not coming to fruition because of ego.

I think a lot of us wanted Shannon to get a QB. Some of us wanted him to get a QB to develop- like a Peterman. Well, this guy is our Peterman. Here's our developmental QB project. Cousins or high QB next year was the plan all along. If the plan was anything different, we would've drafted our QB at 2.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

NAh I get what you are saying.

It's chasing the dragon - it worked once so you obsess over recreating it.

That being said odds are he knows what he is doing with this pick.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
this is what happens when Lynch lets Shanahan have a say.

Exactly! Yes, we let our QB guru pick a QB.

he would've been there tomorrow and we would've kept our picks.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Do u believe teams draft in the 3rd round for potential starters or good solid career back ups? Just want to see what some of you believe GM's do

Usually go a little later fot career back ups IMO

Funny. I was just complaining that Kyle did not bother slamming his desk for offensive skill players in the 3rd round, so he must have a high ego to think he can develop the scrubs that we have on the roster already.

With this pick, at least he picked his own QB. At the very least its some dang Kirk Cousins insurance just in case he bails on us and signs a long term deal with Washington.
  • thl408
My guess is Shanahan sees the mechanics that don't come from 99% shotgun. A QB from an offense with progressions. Maybe he managed the Oline calls? Basically what Shanahan thinks is most "pro ready" from a mechanics and mental perspective. QB with the least having to break down and rebuild. Not just mechanics, but how a QB reads the field. This was a 3rd round comp pick so it's like a 4th round talent.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by slowriot:
Historic day: 1st Qargerback in team history

"Might he have been there at 109? That's what we had to weigh," 49ers John Lynch said. "But at the end of the day, we felt like it was worth it to be able to go to bed knowing that we had a player that we liked and want the opportunity develop at the qargerback position."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-trade-select-qb-cj-beathard-third-round-2017-nfl-draft

After reading this, are people really upset with this pick, still?

most of us have not seen the guy play, but he has a particularly BAD scouting profile, and statistically he was not a great college QB.

only completing 30% of your passes over 20 yards in college .....at that lower level of the game..... is pretty huge red flag.

Very few QBs are better NFL players then they where College players.

We will have to have faith Shanny got the player he wanted to develop, but I cant imagine that Beathard was alone and clearly better then other QBs that where left. It would seem to me there would have been something similar in the 4th or 5th round.

3rd round pick is still best player available territory to me.....

Here's his combine workout if anybody wants to see.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000797542/C-J-Beathard-2017-Combine-Workout
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
I wonder why they liked him better than Peterson probably arm strength

Originally posted by slowriot:
Historic day: 1st Qargerback in team history

"Might he have been there at 109? That's what we had to weigh," 49ers John Lynch said. "But at the end of the day, we felt like it was worth it to be able to go to bed knowing that we had a player that we liked and want the opportunity develop at the qargerback position."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-trade-select-qb-cj-beathard-third-round-2017-nfl-draft

That's all I wanted. The pick I'm not fussed on, just wanted to hear some reasoning on the move up when it didn't appear necessary at first glance.

If both Coach and GM liked him I'm fine with it.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

All great coaches have "his way" or there own rules for the types of QBs they draft
So folks don't get confused. I feel the ball comes out strong on CJ's passes. And I'm curious about him leading his team on comebacks.

I just want a QB who can keep it together when s**t gets serious... Playoff type tough QB who will come through on 3rd and 8 on the majority of drives when we need him.

Doesn't need to have the "look"...the name... that explosive abilities. Just mentally tough come playoff time. So of CJ shows these abilities along the way, GREAT! don't care about his last name or long hair.
Share 49ersWebzone