There are 268 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Viperboy:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Do u believe teams draft in the 3rd round for potential starters or good solid career back ups? Just want to see what some of you believe GM's do

Usually go a little later fot career back ups IMO

Read up, u wont like it. I know i forsee 3rd round players as potential starters not career back ups

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000804483/article/niners-add-iowa-qb-cj-beathard-at-no-104-pick

The first drafted quarterback of the John Lynch-Kyle Shanahan era is now official.

The 49ers selected Iowa quarterback C.J. Beathard with the 104th pick late Friday night. The grandson of Super Bowl winning general manager Bobby Beathard, C.J. threw for 2,809 yards, 17 touchdowns and five interceptions during his junior year in 2015 and 1,929 yards, 17 touchdowns and 10 interceptions his senior year.

Known for his cerebral approach to the game -- A scout told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that "he'll end up being one of the best backup quarterbacks in the league" -- Beathard is the second-lowest quarterback taken by a Kyle Shanahan-coached team since 2012. The lowest? Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins.

Beathard now joins a depth chart that contains entrenched starter Brian Hoyer and former USC standout Matt Barkley. In many spots Shanahan has been, the sage backup quarterback gig has been a sweet spot leading to years in the league.

This is not a predictable first QB for Shanahan, though that may be part of the plan. Both Lynch and Shanahan were given six-year deals, meaning that the passer of the future still might be out there somewhere. They have the time and draft capital to wait their turn.

Shanny already said he won't compete to start this year. Just a body to make sure we have bodies at QB. We drafting #1 n 2018 and taking a QB
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
this is what happens when Lynch lets Shanahan have a say.

Exactly! Yes, we let our QB guru pick a QB.

he would've been there tomorrow and we would've kept our picks.

We have like 8 picks tomorrow. They probably trade some of those
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by slowriot:
Historic day: 1st Qargerback in team history

"Might he have been there at 109? That's what we had to weigh," 49ers John Lynch said. "But at the end of the day, we felt like it was worth it to be able to go to bed knowing that we had a player that we liked and want the opportunity develop at the qargerback position."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-trade-select-qb-cj-beathard-third-round-2017-nfl-draft

After reading this, are people really upset with this pick, still?

most of us have not seen the guy play, but he has a particularly BAD scouting profile, and statistically he was not a great college QB.

only completing 30% of your passes over 20 yards in college .....at that lower level of the game..... is pretty huge red flag.

Very few QBs are better NFL players then they where College players.

We will have to have faith Shanny got the player he wanted to develop, but I cant imagine that Beathard was alone and clearly better then other QBs that where left. It would seem to me there would have been something similar in the 4th or 5th round.

3rd round pick is still best player available territory to me.....

It was basically the 4th round, and we need to start getting used to the idea that we're going to be drafting and developing QBs a lot here. It's what we did when we were great. Shannon wanted him, and it cast us a 4th and a 7th. Lets give Shanny the benefit of the doubt that, in his mind, CJ was in fact clearly better than any of the remaining options.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
So does he have a strong arm or noodle arm? Lol I see both.

Want opinion or measured data?

Lol well people here we're b***hing about Watson's velocity so there ya go.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He'll get his chance to see the field as Hoyer and Barkley are horrible. I can see him competing for a job next year if they don't go for Cousins.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This was weirder than most of Baalke's weirdest picks. Most people had this guy going anywhere from the 5th round to undrafted. He's a career backup QB type with a very limited arm, inconsistent accuracy, not great pocket presence, basically a subpar game manager.

Super bright, picks up offenses easily and comes out of a pro style offense but my mind is blown that they actually traded up to take the 4th or 5th best QB that was available at that point.
Stanzi 2.0 just without the hype on the zone.
[ Edited by communist on Apr 28, 2017 at 10:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
So folks don't get confused. I feel the ball comes out strong on CJ's passes. And I'm curious about him leading his team on comebacks.

I just want a QB who can keep it together when s**t gets serious... Playoff type tough QB who will come through on 3rd and 8 on the majority of drives when we need him.

Doesn't need to have the "look"...the name... that explosive abilities. Just mentally tough come playoff time. So of CJ shows these abilities along the way, GREAT! don't care about his last name or long hair.

We're not really expecting to land a FQB at pick #104. Nor are we looking for a QB to win in the playoffs at pick #104. This is backup QB territory. High risk gambles that rarely pay off no matter who it is.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Have at it, Beathard vs Peterman, 2015:

Good game. Both QBs played great, but I think Beatherd played better given the pressure he was constantly under.
this is what happens when Lynch lets Shanahan have a say.

Exactly! Yes, we let our QB guru pick a QB.

he would've been there tomorrow and we would've kept our picks.

Ian Rapoport disagrees with you. So I'll go with Ian.

Originally posted by mayo49:
He'll get his chance to see the field as Hoyer and Barkley are horrible. I can see him competing for a job next year if they don't go for Cousins.

LOL

This site.
Decided to go through some recent drafts to see how QB's drafted later have done.

The Raiders, even with Carr, drafted Connor Cook at #100 overall last year. Hopefully this guy is better than him somehow lol
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Shanny already said he won't compete to start this year. Just a body to make sure we have bodies at QB. We drafting #1 n 2018 and taking a QB

I'm of the opinion we take a QB every year until we find the guy.
What did they say about Joe Montana and Tom Brady coming out of the draft? He will be in their league with Kyle Shananan. You heard it here first.
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
So folks don't get confused. I feel the ball comes out strong on CJ's passes. And I'm curious about him leading his team on comebacks.

I just want a QB who can keep it together when s**t gets serious... Playoff type tough QB who will come through on 3rd and 8 on the majority of drives when we need him.

Doesn't need to have the "look"...the name... that explosive abilities. Just mentally tough come playoff time. So of CJ shows these abilities along the way, GREAT! don't care about his last name or long hair.

We're not really expecting to land a FQB at pick #104. Nor are we looking for a QB to win in the playoffs at pick #104. This is backup QB territory. High risk gambles that rarely pay off no matter who it is.

3rd or high 4th round pick, what ever some want to call it.

either way we already have TWO backup QBs on the roster...so why add another???

I'm not going to look at CJ as another backup QB. My expectations will be higher. Can't remember a team drafting a QB in the 3rd or high 4th round...just to hope they become a good back up.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Apr 28, 2017 at 10:19 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone