There are 352 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by mayo49:
He'll get his chance to see the field as Hoyer and Barkley are horrible. I can see him competing for a job next year if they don't go for Cousins.

Disagree. We're going to be in the lower half of next years draft and we will have 2 x 2nd and 2 x 3rd round picks. If we fail to get Cousins I believe Kyle will pull the trigger on his guy in the draft. If we get Cousins in FA then we have a nice draft haul to provide him weapons.
We used a 4th round comp pick and a 7th rounder.

People acting like we just drafted him in the early second or early third rd.

Taking QB at #104 is an afterthought. This isn't their long term plan at QB. It's a shot in the dark that you take in a bad QB class. Then next year you draft one early. If your early QB doesn't work out then it's time to freak out.
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:

Taking QB at #104 is an afterthought. This isn't their long term plan at QB. It's a shot in the dark that you take in a bad QB class. Then next year you draft one early. If your early QB doesn't work out then it's time to freak out.

Agree. I understand people disappointed the future at QB didn't come in this draft, but this is more than a one year deal. Shanny and Lynch know how important QB is. They played their board this year and ended up with Thomas and Foster in the 1st, which is phenomenal. Will re-evaluate QB next off-season and determine the best course of action.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place

Tough film to watch

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/c-j-beathard/
The footwork, accuracy, and arm talent is there (55 yard money throw vs Miami (OH))
Takes a while to read, might be due to bad WR's not getting open.
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
Originally posted by mayo49:
He'll get his chance to see the field as Hoyer and Barkley are horrible. I can see him competing for a job next year if they don't go for Cousins.

Disagree. We're going to be in the lower half of next years draft and we will have 2 x 2nd and 2 x 3rd round picks. If we fail to get Cousins I believe Kyle will pull the trigger on his guy in the draft. If we get Cousins in FA then we have a nice draft haul to provide him weapons.

I agree with Mayo on this one. Not likely this year, but who knows, he might pull a Wentz. Cousins was also selected in mid rounds by Shanny. If CJ doesn't get big eyed playing next to the pros, I can see him succeeding.

uuhh no we used our 2nd pick in the 4th round to move up for this career back up now we have to wait till the 37 pick to draft again come Tomorrow.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/tracker/by-round#dt-by-round-input:4
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
3rd or high 4th round pick, what ever some want to call it.

either way we already have TWO backup QBs on the roster...so why add another???

I'm not going to look at CJ as another backup QB. My expectations will be higher. Can't remember a team drafting a QB in the 3rd or high 4th round...just to hope they become a good back up.

Yeah, your right. With the uncertainty with Cousins, I think they took Beathard with the purpose to have him compete for the starting job down the road. Like I said, Hoyer and Barkley are not permanent solutions. If Beathard can develop quickly and Cousins doesn't come here next year, I can see Beathard competing for the job in a year or so.
So folks don't get confused. I feel the ball comes out strong on CJ's passes. And I'm curious about him leading his team on comebacks.

I just want a QB who can keep it together when s**t gets serious... Playoff type tough QB who will come through on 3rd and 8 on the majority of drives when we need him.

Doesn't need to have the "look"...the name... that explosive abilities. Just mentally tough come playoff time. So of CJ shows these abilities along the way, GREAT! don't care about his last name or long hair.

We're not really expecting to land a FQB at pick #104. Nor are we looking for a QB to win in the playoffs at pick #104. This is backup QB territory. High risk gambles that rarely pay off no matter who it is.

I'm not going to look at CJ as another backup QB. My expectations will be higher.

Well, sorry about your unrealistic expectations for a QB drafted with a 4th round comp and a 7th.
I'm okay with this.

First, I don't like blindly accepting everything a front office does and deferring to "well, they know more than I do", because that just gets into homer, my-team-can-do-no-wrong territory. However, there is a lot of merit to Shanahan liking this guy. Obviously, most of our opinions (how good a player is, what round they should go in, etc) are based on publicly-available draft resources -- teams are internally going to have different rankings and methodologies.

Second, projected rounds doesn't mean much, especially as you start to get to this point in the draft. For example, the Patriots drafted Jacoby Brissett in the 3rd round last year. NFL.com had him projected has 3rd-4th round pick. PFF projected he'd go undrafted. CBS Sports had him pegged as a 6th round pick and #210 overall. I'm sure lots of Patriots fans felt they overdrafted him. It's hard to argue against Belichick/McDaniels though, right? Also, as has been mentioned, Rapaport hinted that he may go sooner than anticipated.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Agree. I understand people disappointed the future at QB didn't come in this draft, but this is more than a one year deal. Shanny and Lynch know how important QB is. They played their board this year and ended up with Thomas and Foster in the 1st, which is phenomenal. Will re-evaluate QB next off-season and determine the best course of action.

There were still some starters on the OLine on the board. Both D Johnson and I Asiata still up there and could be an upgrade to Beadles.

Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

uuhh no we used our 2nd pick in the 4th round to move up for this career back up now we have to wait till the 37 pick to draft again come Tomorrow.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/tracker/by-round#dt-by-round-input:4

We have like 6 picks tomorrow. Rounds 4-7 are for depth. Maybe one starter if we get lucky.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Shanny already said he won't compete to start this year. Just a body to make sure we have bodies at QB. We drafting #1 n 2018 and taking a QB

I'm of the opinion we take a QB every year until we find the guy.

Who are we... the Browns?
Originally posted by TheNef77:

Tough film to watch

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/c-j-beathard/
The footwork, accuracy, and arm talent is there (55 yard money throw vs Miami (OH))
Takes a while to read, might be due to bad WR's not getting open.

lol at the punter #16 too.
Originally posted by theduke85:
I'm okay with this.

First, I don't like blindly accepting everything a front office does and deferring to "well, they know more than I do", because that just gets into homer, my-team-can-do-no-wrong territory. However, there is a lot of merit to Shanahan liking this guy. Obviously, most of our opinions (how good a player is, what round they should go in, etc) are based on publicly-available draft resources -- teams are internally going to have different rankings and methodologies.

Second, projected rounds doesn't mean much, especially as you start to get to this point in the draft. For example, the Patriots drafted Jacoby Brissett in the 3rd round last year. NFL.com had him projected has 3rd-4th round pick. PFF projected he'd go undrafted. CBS Sports had him pegged as a 6th round pick and #210 overall. I'm sure lots of Patriots fans felt they overdrafted him. It's hard to argue against Belichick/McDaniels though, right? Also, as has been mentioned, Rapaport hinted that he may go sooner than anticipated.

Great points. This is the point in the draft where the players selected will differ greatly from the internet draft rankings. NFL teams grade prospects differently than Kiper, McShay, and Rang. Am I surprised Beathard went this high? Yes, and I don't really like the pick. But its not crazy, he does have the talent to warrant the pick. Shanahan likes him, so that at least has me intrigued on what he might be capable of. I just see him as a backup QB on a team with 2 career backups and no future starter. Tough pill to swallow deferring QB for another year, but thats how the board played out.
Originally posted by TheNef77:
There were still some starters on the OLine on the board. Both D Johnson and I Asiata still up there and could be an upgrade to Beadles.

Yup. Still a number of guys I like still on the board. Unfortunately will have to wait until pick 143. Dorian Johnson is a solid player, wouldn't mind if we snatch him up. OL depth is still a need to address.
Share 49ersWebzone