There are 354 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
We used a 4th round comp pick and a 7th rounder.

People acting like we just drafted him in the early second or early third rd.

Taking QB at #104 is an afterthought. This isn't their long term plan at QB. It's a shot in the dark that you take in a bad QB class. Then next year you draft one early. If your early QB doesn't work out then it's time to freak out.

I think the problem most people have with it was he was very likely to still be available at #109 (Maiocco had a tweet that made it sound like the Vikings called us because they felt like trading, and we just said 'well we'll give you a 7th just so we can go to bed peacefully tonight knowing we got our guy' and that was that) and heck he probably still would have been available at #143. Plus, Peterman was still on the board.

I do have more faith in Shanahan than most people when it comes to QB's, but compared to how we did in the rest of the draft, we could have played this a little better. I think we could have gotten another key player at #104 or #109 and still gotten "our guy" later.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Taking QB at #104 is an afterthought. This isn't their long term plan at QB. It's a shot in the dark that you take in a bad QB class. Then next year you draft one early. If your early QB doesn't work out then it's time to freak out.

Agree. I understand people disappointed the future at QB didn't come in this draft, but this is more than a one year deal. Shanny and Lynch know how important QB is. They played their board this year and ended up with Thomas and Foster in the 1st, which is phenomenal. Will re-evaluate QB next off-season and determine the best course of action.

Yep. We'll either land Cousins or draft QB early in 2018.

A QB at #104 is just a high risk gamble. It worked for Shanahan with Cousins in the 4th so people should at least show some patience and lower thwir expectations for a QB taken at #104.

I agree it doesn't make much sense but whatever. A 4th and 7th are not worth crying about. We've had a good draft overall.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
So this pick will obviously be scrutinized until we see him in the preseason, but I think we should have expected something like this when you take a step back.

Adam Peters had a big hand in putting the board together, and one of the comments he made in an interview is that if you think someone is an immediate starter or can develop into one, then who cares about the value if they pan out.

Peters cut his teeth in the Pats organization, and they drafted many prospects that were considered reaches. While their track record hasn't been the best, I think this pick is representative of that.

The one reason why I'm not mad about it though is because it seems like Lynch and Peters wanted to get the staffs choice at QB in this draft. This wasn't a Baalke move of trying to force a player on the staff.

Skeptical yes but let's save it until he plays a down in the NFL.

If thats your plan....then why bundle picks to get him

the problem is this guy has pretty terrible scouting report.

30% accuracy on passes 20 yards or more.

On paper he is not a good prospect to pick up in the 3rd round. On paper he is not a good prospect to bundle picks to get.

Even by your definition Why not throw the 3rd, 4th and 7th round picks and take 3 shots in the dark.

Clearly the coaching staff wanted him, so this is a faith thing at this point.

If or when this guy does not pan out, this will really look like wasted picks because the consensus was he was a 6th rounder maybe even a street FA.
This pick has me so pissed off I could care less about tomorrow. Worst pick!
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

I think the problem most people have with it was he was very likely to still be available at #109 (Maiocco had a tweet that made it sound like the Vikings called us because they felt like trading, and we just said 'well we'll give you a 7th just so we can go to bed peacefully tonight knowing we got our guy' and that was that) and heck he probably still would have been available at #143. Plus, Peterman was still on the board.

I do have more faith in Shanahan than most people when it comes to QB's, but compared to how we did in the rest of the draft, we could have played this a little better. I think we could have gotten another key player at #104 or #109 and still gotten "our guy" later.

He was taken where we took him because that's where Shanahan wanted him.

I support our new head coach.

Now if he took this guy in the second round that woukd be a different story.
Originally posted by Dshearn:

On paper he is not a good prospect to pick up in the 3rd round. On paper he is not a good prospect to bundle picks to get.

Even by your definition Why not throw the 3rd, 4th and 7th round picks and take 3 shots in the dark.

If or when this guy does not pan out, this will really look like wasted picks because the consensus was he was a 6th rounder maybe even a street FA.

A 4th and 7th. Who cares.
Alot of negative people in here Deng... Wasn't a sexy pick but I wonder how many QBs drafted in round 1 and 2 have actually panned out as opposed to 3 4 5 round QBs. I think he will be just what Kyle is saying he'll be... A developmental qb. Yall complain we didn't pick a QB for 5 years get Driskell complain they cut him complain. The consensus should be you draft a QB every year with a mid to low pick till you get a quality starter you can build around.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by TheNef77:
There were still some starters on the OLine on the board. Both D Johnson and I Asiata still up there and could be an upgrade to Beadles.

Yup. Still a number of guys I like still on the board. Unfortunately will have to wait until pick 143. Dorian Johnson is a solid player, wouldn't mind if we snatch him up. OL depth is still a need to address.

Yessir. Still wondering if Brown is quick enough to play RT in this offense. Guess we'll find out tomorrow
Originally posted by father49er:
I agree with Mayo on this one. Not likely this year, but who knows, he might pull a Wentz. Cousins was also selected in mid rounds by Shanny. If CJ doesn't get big eyed playing next to the pros, I can see him succeeding.

He "could" succeed for sure, but it won't be as quickly as competing next year IMO.

Cousins is plan A. Plan B will likely involve the draft IF we're in the right spot with the right QB in range. No way Kyle ignores a QB he likes because of what we did this year. After that it's up to CJ.

Originally posted by Dshearn:

Lol give me a break on this garbage.

Who did we want in the 4th round anyway? Another CB? I doubt it was going to be an edge rusher, because they had an opportunity to get one in the 3rd round, and chose a CB instead.

For all the moaning about Trent Baalke, I feel like Niner fans have stockholm syndrome. They seriously want that guy back in the War Room and just go defense all day.

Some people wanted to fire Baalke because Chip wanted to draft Dak Prescott, while Baalke overruled it. I'm glad that we have a GM and an HC that went and got their god damn QB.

Don't even care if he busts at this point. Whether or not he sucks, it doesn't really matter. We've got freaking Brian Hoyer as our starting QB. Our offense is gonna be bottom half of the league in 2017, and most likely, we are tanking for Josh Allen and Darnold next year. That's the reality.
Originally posted by cjsmoove:
Alot of negative people in here Deng... Wasn't a sexy pick but I wonder how many QBs drafted in round 1 and 2 have actually panned out as opposed to 3 4 5 round QBs. I think he will be just what Kyle is saying he'll be... A developmental qb. Yall complain we didn't pick a QB for 5 years get Driskell complain they cut him complain. The consensus should be you draft a QB every year with a mid to low pick till you get a quality starter you can build around.

Stop being reasonable. You have to act like a 19 year old supermodel that just lost her cocaine.
Interesting snippet from his media Q-and-A today:

What was the feedback you were getting leading up to the draft, as far as where people expected you to go that you heard?

"I mean, I heard anything from the third round to the sixth round. There was no pin-point on where I was supposed to go. So, you know I was just going to make sure I was ready for anything that happens, and that's what I'm doing right now. I was just ecstatic to get that phone call from Mr. Lynch and you know, I'm just pumped to be a 49er."
Originally posted by theduke85:
Interesting snippet from his media Q-and-A today:

What was the feedback you were getting leading up to the draft, as far as where people expected you to go that you heard?

"I mean, I heard anything from the third round to the sixth round. There was no pin-point on where I was supposed to go. So, you know I was just going to make sure I was ready for anything that happens, and that's what I'm doing right now. I was just ecstatic to get that phone call from Mr. Lynch and you know, I'm just pumped to be a 49er."

Give techno viking QB a chance.
This is the first head scratchier from this FO so far...why move up for a guy that was going to be there in the 4th...NFL.com has this guys NFL comparison to Tom Savage....dat no good...then I look at Solomon Thomas's comparison which in Justin Smith and then I feel better...
Share 49ersWebzone