There are 277 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheNef77:
My bad, caught the OP you had. Sorry bro.

All good.
Just finished watching whatever YouTube video I could find on him. There was a kind of in depth scouting report on him that was posted earlier in the thread that was sort of interesting breaking down what the evaluator thought his strengths and weaknesses were. Intelligence and toughness were the two that stood out to me, the ability to understand and execute the offense the way it is designed and the willingness to stand in and make the throw, sometimes to his detriment in terms of the hits he took. Hard to tell from the highlight reel what he might look like during the course of whole game but the thing that I saw was that he knew what the play was and where he was going to go with ball and got it out of his hands. A lot of the highlight reels of the other QBs in this draft showed them running around and making something out of a broken play. Been there done that. Give me a guy who gives the play the best chance of succeeding at the snap rather than the guy who has to keep pulling plays out of his hat. Have no idea whether this is a good or bad pick but am certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. Go Niners!
This is the one position that our head coach was drafted to fix. He is being paid to find that guy. His f**king expertise is Quarterbacks. He's proven people wrong before. He's done this before.

So this is the pick that really no-one should be questioning unless you have more expertise than Shanahan. Let's get behind the guy and hope he makes it.
Remember all those first round QBs picked in 2011 who now don't even have starting jobs? Yeah, that's this year's draft. Having said that, Beatherd is more than likely a developmental career backup.
Originally posted by smitcal:
This is the one position that our head coach was drafted to fix. He is being paid to find that guy. His f**king expertise is Quarterbacks. He's proven people wrong before. He's done this before.

So this is the pick that really no-one should be questioning unless you have more expertise than Shanahan. Let's get behind the guy and hope he makes it.

The future of the Zone is bright.
Originally posted by smitcal:

Of course Shanahan should get his guy, but why waste a pick and over-draft the player?
Shanahan fell in love and over-drafted a guy who would have been there late 4th or 5th rd.
This one pick doesn't matter much, but over the long haul you can't win by wasting draft picks and over-drafting / getting poor value
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
It really is interesting that Shanny saw something in Beathard that separated him from the rest of the QBs remaining. Would love to know what that was.

Shanahan fell in love with him because he's tough guy.
It's a good thing Shanny isn't in charge of the draft,
hopefully Shanahan doesn't let his emotions determine who he keeps at other positions
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:

We sound like Redskins fans when they took Cousins in the 4th round. A lot of them freaked out.

Cousins was projected as rd 2-3, and he fell to the 4th.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69458&draftyear=2012&genpos=qb

Cousins was much better in college and he fell in the draft, was considered a draft day steal and good value

Beathard was projected ~ rd 6, and was a draft day reach and poor value .... it's a bad sign for their understanding of draft value
Shanny is right, this kids 2015 tape is very very good..Mcshay said he had him as an early 3rd rounder before this season bc of his 2015 tape and his leadership and toughness..his team this year just wasn't as good and his top WRs were hurt which didn't help him..if he came out last year he would've been an early 3rd rounder easy..
  • titan
  • Veteran
I watch some Iowa games. In his defense the team wasn't really that good. He is a very competitive, but a safe player. He looks like he processed coverage well and tucked and run when needed. Defense was practically in the back field kicking his butt from the games I watched.

Should have drafted a nice RB, WR, TE or pass rusher at #109, then taken Beathard at ~140

Not a big deal, but generally it's good not to reach for players
Ya know, I said a long time ago... I like this kid. Not upset with the pick at all, maybe a little early, but screw it!

1. I trust Shan with QBs

2. This may have been Shanahans's guy all along.

3. We have no clue if they caught wind someone else was going to take him...

4. None of us are in the FO, so learn to love the pick, forget the "Mayock QB rankings" -- Quite frankly, Mayock sucks at rating QBs.

5. He fits for anyone who hates the air raid and spread QBs

6. (just to point it out) He knows what (based on the number on the jersey) a QB should strive to be

-- Trust the process -- New Regime -- 49er Faithful --
Originally posted by Vito_Corleone:
Cousins was projected as rd 2-3, and he fell to the 4th.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69458&draftyear=2012&genpos=qb

Cousins was much better in college and he fell in the draft, was considered a draft day steal and good value

Beathard was projected ~ rd 6, and was a draft day reach and poor value .... it's a bad sign for their understanding of draft value

Did you watch either QB play in college or are you going off what the pundits had them projected at? Having watched every game from both qbs, I can tell you Cousins was NOT better in college. Not by a long shot and Cousins played on far more talented teams than Beathard. If you had actually watched the games you might've seen that. Beathard has a bigger arm than cousins, far more athletic, more accurate than cousins was in college and an ability to throw on the run with accuracy that cousins will never have.

Cousins development has been amazing no doubt but coming out there were few teams who thought he was anything more than a long shot project at best. Is Beathard better than Cousins? No. Cousins has developed into a very good qb but If you think Cousins had more ability coming out of college you didn't watch enough games and or aren't able to evaluate a player while taking into account the team around them.

Beathard is being sold short by so many people in here it's ridiculous. His development will be fun to watch under Sbanahan and I can't wait remind posters like you who said this pick held no value in the third because of where you heard he was projected to go.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Apr 29, 2017 at 1:34 AM ]

Let's go buddy
Share 49ersWebzone