There are 187 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Why the tradeup seems unnecessary, allowed the team to jump over the following teams:

#105 Steelers - they are in the search for a backup (they have Landry Jones) and potential QBOTF
#106 Seahawks - they have only a single backup QB who had some problems offseason.
#107 Buccaneers - they have Ryan Griffin and Sean Renfree behind Jameis.
#108 Packers - at least smokescreen about getting a QB, in a WCO looking for similar skillset
http://saturdaytradition.com/iowa-football/beathard-smith-bomb/

Tell me about Beathards weak arm. He lets it go on his own 8 and it hits his wr in perfect stride at their 35 and it's not a kirk Cousin's or Matt Ryan rainbow either.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Apr 29, 2017 at 1:59 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerG94:
http://saturdaytradition.com/iowa-football/beathard-smith-bomb/

Tell me about Beathards weak arm. He lets it go on his own 8 and it hits we in perfect trade at their 35 and it's not a kirk Cousin's or Matt Ryan rainbow either.

He doesn't have a weak arm, that's not being reported correctly. He's arm is above average.
Not sure if this is anywhere else in the zone, but definitely worthy of a view:
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Thanks, Midwest.
Been watching game film on him....

Call me crazy, but I see some Romo in him. Really like him.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Nice arm, looks good on bootlegs, athletic, tough.

Never heard of him but I can see why Shannahan likes him. Looks like he has the qualities people (including me) liked about Peterman but with a better arm. Looks good as a developmental pick.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Been watching game film on him....

Call me crazy, but I see some Romo in him. Really like him.

Your not crazy, I see some Brees in him. I like that he throws his receivers open and is real accurate. I like him, too.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Antix:
Nice arm, looks good on bootlegs, athletic, tough.

Never heard of him but I can see why Shannahan likes him. Looks like he has the qualities people (including me) liked about Peterman but with a better arm. Looks good as a developmental pick.

Agree, he's got a better arm than Peterman and is more accurate.
Few things I've noticed 6 games in from both the 2015 season, and 2016 season:

His OLine is absolute garbage in Pass Pro
His WRs, TEs, and RBs have awful hands and ability to get open
Very good foot work
Solid under pressure
Moves around pretty well, way more elusive than I gave him credit for
Tough
Really nice drive on the ball
Great play action
Gives more effort than anyone else on his offense
Pretty solid on ball placement

Bottom line: If Iowa would've surrounded him with some pass protection and better handed WR, their offense would've been much more multi-faceted and he would have show a lot more production.. Potential diamond in the rough.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, you have to judge him by his 2015 season. He had a better supporting cast and his numbers reflected it. His 2016 team was garbage and his numbers suffered because it. To me - he's Kirk Cousins with a better arm.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 29, 2017 at 2:59 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, you have to judge him by his 2015 season. He had a better supporting cast and his numbers reflected it. His 2016 team was garbage and his numbers suffered because it. To me - he's Kirk Cousins with a better arm.

Hmm.. I see some Cousins, doesn't quite seem as frantic as college Cousins though.

What's your take, come season: #2 on the depth chart, 3rd stringer, Practice Squad, or cut?

I like him for the backup to Hoyer.. Senior Bowl stuff said he was the quickest learner there for QBs, cant wait for Shan to work with him
Hopefully he turns out better than that 6th rounder "next tom Brady" (lol) we drafted a year ago
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Originally posted by mayo49:

Hmm.. I see some Cousins, doesn't quite seem as frantic as college Cousins though.

What's your take, come season: #2 on the depth chart, 3rd stringer, Practice Squad, or cut?

I like him for the backup to Hoyer.. Senior Bowl stuff said he was the quickest learner there for QBs, cant wait for Shan to work with him

I think for this year he's the 3rd stringer.
Originally posted by Poldarn49:
Why the tradeup seems unnecessary, allowed the team to jump over the following teams:

#105 Steelers - they are in the search for a backup (they have Landry Jones) and potential QBOTF
#106 Seahawks - they have only a single backup QB who had some problems offseason.
#107 Buccaneers - they have Ryan Griffin and Sean Renfree behind Jameis.
#108 Packers - at least smokescreen about getting a QB, in a WCO looking for similar skillset

Makes sense. Similar to how Lynch saw the Saints getting ready to pick Froster.
Share 49ersWebzone