There are 201 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
Give techno viking QB a chance.

Brilliant!!!

Hoping one day to eat a huge plate of deep fried crow as Techno Viking QB hoists trophy number 6!
Originally posted by Antix:
Nice arm, looks good on bootlegs, athletic, tough.

Never heard of him but I can see why Shannahan likes him. Looks like he has the qualities people (including me) liked about Peterman but with a better arm. Looks good as a developmental pick.

+1

Quick feet dropping from center. Good arm. Good accuracy throwing on the run. Some mobility. Unusual to see a college qb playing pro style and looking competent these days.
Looks more like second coming hair.Joe or Jesus?
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
no sir...that is some mid nineties Metallica hair right there.
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:

This is a great breakdown thanks!
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Well, strategically, no doubt, passing on Trubisky and getting Beathard is a sure sign Cousins is our guy next year. So next year, it'll be Cousins - Hoyer - Beathard.

CJ comes from a pro style offense and like Lynch says, does a ton of what Kyle's offense will already ask of him but he needs a year or two of development and certainly won't threaten the front end of the QB depth chart this or next year.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Terrific breakdown.
The next Shaun Hill
Originally posted by NCommand:
Well, strategically, no doubt, passing on Trubisky and getting Beathard is a sure sign Cousins is our guy next year. So next year, it'll be Cousins - Hoyer - Beathard.

CJ comes from a pro style offense and like Lynch says, does a ton of what Kyle's offense will already ask of him but he needs a year or two of development and certainly won't threaten the front end of the QB depth chart this or next year.

I think it depends on where we're picking and who is available in the draft.

If we have a top 5 pick and Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen and Josh Allen all have great seasons and declare...we're going heavy after one of them and I think us getting ammo next year is mostly with that QB class in mind.

Originally posted by 49ers81:
Just finished watching whatever YouTube video I could find on him. There was a kind of in depth scouting report on him that was posted earlier in the thread that was sort of interesting breaking down what the evaluator thought his strengths and weaknesses were. Intelligence and toughness were the two that stood out to me, the ability to understand and execute the offense the way it is designed and the willingness to stand in and make the throw, sometimes to his detriment in terms of the hits he took. Hard to tell from the highlight reel what he might look like during the course of whole game but the thing that I saw was that he knew what the play was and where he was going to go with ball and got it out of his hands. A lot of the highlight reels of the other QBs in this draft showed them running around and making something out of a broken play. Been there done that. Give me a guy who gives the play the best chance of succeeding at the snap rather than the guy who has to keep pulling plays out of his hat. Have no idea whether this is a good or bad pick but am certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. Go Niners!

Agreed. I watched several videos, stayed poised and got rid of ball quickly enough while under pressure during most of the throws. Saw him scramble a few times, even get a leaping TD one time, not afraid to run.

Look at our starting QB Hoyer (for now), he went undrafted about 7-8 years ago. And many posts here criticize the QB that Shanny and Lynch preferred while only giving up a 7th rd pick to move up a few spots. Sure scouting reports have him at rounds 5-7 and I can see why many were upset thinking he'd still be there in the later rounds. But out of their nearly 200 list of players our HC/GM compiled, Beathard must have been the best talent and value in their eyes.

Baalke's reign of terror drafting high round busts and ACL injured rookies is over. Shanny, Lynch, and crew have done an amazing job acquiring additional draft picks this year and next while trying to rebuild a 2-win team. And I'm going to support them whether they draft my favorite rookie or not.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by NCommand:

I think it depends on where we're picking and who is available in the draft.

If we have a top 5 pick and Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen and Josh Allen all have great seasons and declare...we're going heavy after one of them and I think us getting ammo next year is mostly with that QB class in mind.

It certainly gives ShanaLynch the options in case Cousins doesn't work out. But given how long it takes to develop a QB in the WCO (esp. if they come from a spread offense), deferring to "next year" to me, is a sign we're locked in on Cousins (hit the ground running QB). But we'll see...we should be in good shape to maneuver either way...
I didn't watch much of him so hard for me to judge too harshly. I started watching him and turned it off after not seeing much...figured there were better guys to invest time in

Very surprising pick, and an odd trade up unless Lynch had some info other teams were bluffing about their interest in him

My guess is KS wants a qb with adequate arm strength he feels he can completely break down and rebuild

As a pick right now, it seems like an F. But hey maybe in 3 years it turns out to be a genius pick. Time will tell and imo f/0 gets 3 years before we really get concerned
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Apr 29, 2017 at 6:40 AM ]
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Just finished watching whatever YouTube video I could find on him. There was a kind of in depth scouting report on him that was posted earlier in the thread that was sort of interesting breaking down what the evaluator thought his strengths and weaknesses were. Intelligence and toughness were the two that stood out to me, the ability to understand and execute the offense the way it is designed and the willingness to stand in and make the throw, sometimes to his detriment in terms of the hits he took. Hard to tell from the highlight reel what he might look like during the course of whole game but the thing that I saw was that he knew what the play was and where he was going to go with ball and got it out of his hands. A lot of the highlight reels of the other QBs in this draft showed them running around and making something out of a broken play. Been there done that. Give me a guy who gives the play the best chance of succeeding at the snap rather than the guy who has to keep pulling plays out of his hat. Have no idea whether this is a good or bad pick but am certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. Go Niners!

Agreed. I watched several videos, stayed poised and got rid of ball quickly enough while under pressure during most of the throws. Saw him scramble a few times, even get a leaping TD one time, not afraid to run.

Look at our starting QB Hoyer (for now), he went undrafted about 7-8 years ago. And many posts here criticize the QB that Shanny and Lynch preferred while only giving up a 7th rd pick to move up a few spots. Sure scouting reports have him at rounds 5-7 and I can see why many were upset thinking he'd still be there in the later rounds. But out of their nearly 200 list of players our HC/GM compiled, Beathard must have been the best talent and value in their eyes.

Baalke's reign of terror drafting high round busts and ACL injured rookies is over. Shanny, Lynch, and crew have done an amazing job acquiring additional draft picks this year and next while trying to rebuild a 2-win team. And I'm going to support them whether they draft my favorite rookie or not.

Well done fellas...back to back great posts and takes.
Who knows maybe we'll draft another qb later today
Share 49ersWebzone