There are 263 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
It certainly gives ShanaLynch the options in case Cousins doesn't work out. But given how long it takes to develop a QB in the WCO (esp. if they come from a spread offense), deferring to "next year" to me, is a sign we're locked in on Cousins (hit the ground running QB). But we'll see...we should be in good shape to maneuver either way...

I don't know about that. I think maybe they just didn't see a special talent worth developing. Next years class has a chance to be special plus Cousins and Garoppolo are potential free agents. Lots more options by not addressing the position early this year with questionable talent.
Sorry if my post was confusing to r contradictory. I meant I grade the pick bad, but have very low confidence in my grade
100% a shanny pick

Lynch said he knows this was a reach but shanny liked him
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
100% a shanny pick

Which I am fine with. If Shanahan wants a project to work with thats fine, but trading into the 3rd for him.. hurts. Unless someone was going to take him and we jumped them.. but idk.
"I just saw him battle through adversity," Shanahan said. "You look at the numbers and they weren't the same as the previous year. But numbers are something I very rarely look at."

"Just because there's an incompletion, just because you don't get the touchdown, it doesn't always mean it's the quarterback's fault. You got to watch to make sure people are getting open, how the rhythm of the offense is, the protections and the receivers. Are guys separating for him? And what are they asking him to do? How goes good does he do that?"

49ers defensive lineman Arik Armstead this week described the way new coach Kyle Shanahan operates.

"It's kind of like genius crazy, the stuff he does," Armstead said. "It's like, wow, he's that detailed. (He) knows so much about football, you got to have an insane, kind of crazy passion for it. And I think he does and I think that's what makes him a good coach."

Perhaps the latest example of Shanahan's "genius crazy" (crazy is a noun, in this case) was his first draft pick at quarterback as coach of his new team."

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/29/instant-analysis-qb-c-j-beathard-an-example-of-genius-crazy-kyle-shanahan/
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 29, 2017 at 6:53 AM ]
The man has spoken:

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay listed the selection of Iowa quarterback C.J. Beathard by the San Francisco 49ers as one of the biggest surprises during Day 2 of the 2017 NFL Draft. After all, the 49ers traded back up into the end of the third round to select the signal caller, who was rated below other available quarterbacks and expected to go later in the draft.

"Entering the season, I gave Beathard a mid-third-round grade," McShay explained. "I loved his leadership and toughness. He was a tough evaluation this season, as his pass-protection fell apart and he lost key WRs to injuries. We ended up giving a fringe fourth/fifth-round grade and ranked him No. 156 overall. While I'm surprised the 49ers traded back into the third round to select Beathard with higher-ranked options like Joshua Dobbs and Nathan Peterman still on the board, I do understand why they'd be intrigued by his 2015 tape."

McShay's colleague, Mel Kiper, ranked Beathard as the 243rd-best player available while Pro Football Focus ranked him as the 10th-best quarterback available.

49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan was asked why he feels like Beathard is a good fit for his offensive system. "Well, one thing that helps is being able to see guys play the way you're going to ask them to play," he answered. "I think that helps with being at Iowa, having watched the system that he's in. it's easier to see. And, to watch him over the years, he's a three-year starter. He's led his team to a bunch of wins, especially in 2015 where they had a better team. I think he played unbelievable.

"They struggled a little bit more this year. I don't think he had as good of players around him. But, he's a leader, he's tough, processes very well, extremely accurate and I think he lives and dies football."
Originally posted by genus49:
It certainly gives ShanaLynch the options in case Cousins doesn't work out. But given how long it takes to develop a QB in the WCO (esp. if they come from a spread offense), deferring to "next year" to me, is a sign we're locked in on Cousins (hit the ground running QB). But we'll see...we should be in good shape to maneuver either way...

I don't know about that. I think maybe they just didn't see a special talent worth developing. Next years class has a chance to be special plus Cousins and Garoppolo are potential free agents. Lots more options by not addressing the position early this year with questionable talent.

That's the added benefit of not having to rush after you sign a 6 year contract.
Originally posted by genus49:

That's the added benefit of not having to rush after you sign a 6 year contract.

Exactly... No need to reach. Next year we will get our franchise Qb.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 29, 2017 at 6:59 AM ]
Kyle loves him some play action passers. One thing I have noticed Beathard do often.
Reminds me of the Bradley Pinon selection. If you like a guy, fine.

Just don't draft him 2 rounds early.

How the FU*K can he possibly remind people of Hill, ya remind me of Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles! DUMB ASS comparisons..

I didnt know who he was but goddam...His arm is VERY good. His dropback is better then Kizer and ANY qb that went in round 1 especially under center.

Goes through reads, while having Eli/Brees pocket awareness

Playaction is convicing, excutes to perfection

From what Ive seen his accuracy is up to par

They say his football IQ is amazing

Pretty throwing mechanics

And he can take off for big gains

How does he compare to shaun Hill???? Unlike other stupid head coaches who strictly belive in the Mccshays, Mayocks and Kipers of the world to draft....drafting a qb this yr high was asinine (unless it was WATSON). Those other 1st rd QBs had no buisness being drafted that high especially Mahomes! Our HC actully did the home work in STUDYING and hand picking the qb who he thought had the BEST tools for his complex system. And not going by what the "expert" insinuated!

And just like the bears said they were ALL in on Glennon then LOL shock the world and take Mitch. Or how about when seattle gave hefty contract to Flyn, publicly penciled him as a starter, draft Wilson and it was history from there. Dont sleep becuse CJ has a LEGIT chance to start and make you forget about Kirk. Kirk is good but theres nothing Kirk can do that I see CJ not being able to do and ALOT CHEAPER TO!

So dont put to much stock in Shanny saying Hoyer is the starter, he wouldnt want to break the mans confidence knowing RIGHT THIS SECOND, Hoyer is the best option..not for long tough LOL
[ Edited by FrozeReactionZ on Apr 29, 2017 at 7:11 AM ]

All this tough talk makes me think CJ ain't nothing but Brucie.

Worst pick so far!!
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Been watching game film on him....

Call me crazy, but I see some Romo in him. Really like him.

I couldn't picture who his game reminds me of on the bootlegs and runs. Good call.
Originally posted by titan:
I couldn't picture who his game reminds me of on the bootlegs and runs. Good call.

Great post guys
Originally posted by KyleShanahan:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
100% a shanny pick

Which I am fine with. If Shanahan wants a project to work with thats fine, but trading into the 3rd for him.. hurts. Unless someone was going to take him and we jumped them.. but idk.

We used our 4th round pick and then used a 7th round pick to move up like 5 spots. How does the trade hurt?
Share 49ersWebzone