There are 217 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Much more comfortable with CJB now if Garoppolo still can't go. Still has a big arm but seemed a lot more decisive than in the past.

Clearly has a much stronger arm than Mullens. I had forgotten how well he threw the ball. Three of those throws he made were throws Mullens could only dream about.

No QB controversy...for backup. CJ.
He basically ran clean-up vs prevent defense and a two minute drill. Mullens had a very bad game...as far as who is a better backup? Who knows but hopefully Jimmy gets back soon.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Based off what? Throwing on a defense that was playing prevent?

This is Gabbert all over again... just don't abandon CJ like you did Blaine.

Are we still on this discussion of you imagining me having some sort of support for Gabbert when I was one of the people criticizing him and his stupid bunny hop the whole time? All of the QBs that the 49ers had in 2015 and 2016 played like hot garbage. We're in 2020 now, time to move on.

And my thoughts on Beathard? He looked far more decisive than he has at any previous time. He wasn't sitting back in the pocket and overthinking things, he was simply letting it rip and kept the ball moving. Will that continue over the long term? Time will tell but its clear that something is broken with Mullens. At this point I'd rather see Beathard than Mullens who seemed to have lost every bit of his confidence and was throwing ducks into coverage with alarming consistency tonight. That pick 6 was as bad of a throw as I've seen in all my years of watching football.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Prevent or not he did a good job doing what he had to do.

He probably should've ran that ball in for 2, and we may have had a chance to tie it with a FG.

All things considered.. good performance coming in off the bench.

I went back and looked at that play. It would have been sketchy. A LB was coming full speed across the field. It would have been a big collision at about the two, IMO.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Based off what? Throwing on a defense that was playing prevent?

This is Gabbert all over again... just don't abandon CJ like you did Blaine.

Are we still on this discussion of you imagining me having some sort of support for Gabbert when I was one of the people criticizing him and his stupid bunny hop the whole time? All of the QBs that the 49ers had in 2015 and 2016 played like hot garbage. We're in 2020 now, time to move on.

And my thoughts on Beathard? He looked far more decisive than he has at any previous time. He wasn't sitting back in the pocket and overthinking things, he was simply letting it rip and kept the ball moving. Will that continue over the long term? Time will tell but its clear that something is broken with Mullens. At this point I'd rather see Beathard than Mullens who seemed to have lost every bit of his confidence and was throwing ducks into coverage with alarming consistency tonight. That pick 6 was as bad of a throw as I've seen in all my years of watching football.

Look you ditched on him quick like SundayTicket (I don't know where he went) after Gabbert had to actually perform on the field after a number of games.

But why would someone call you this at ANY point? Unless you gave off that vibe during that time? Or leading into that season.

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 at 6:38 PM
Oakland-Niner:
You have become a complete Gabby homer. LOL
There's more in that post, but you get the idea.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177595-blaine-gabbert/page365/

Hell maybe you weren't a true Gabbert fan at heart, maybe you just used Gabbert as a reason to get on Kap... just because he took Alex's job.

Edit- anyway.. this thread is about CJ. You feel he is decisive now.. we'll see.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 4, 2020 at 9:53 PM ]
Today I would say he was better than Mullens. Which is unusual. He had zip on the ball and accuracy and made quick decisions and got the ball out quick.
  • thl408
lol backup QB controversy.
Originally posted by thl408:
lol backup QB controversy.

Only in 2020
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
this guy is the real qb kyle is keeping a secret.

For all the bad takes you've had this year,...hopefully you're onto something this time.

Hell maybe you weren't a true Gabbert fan at heart, maybe you just used Gabbert as a reason to get on Kap... just because he took Alex's job.

Edit- anyway.. this thread is about CJ. You feel he is decisive now.. we'll see.

Kap was a stud in the making, but you know how people like to revise history. Would've been nice to see him grow in an offense like this,...but it's all water under a bridge at this point.
[ Edited by random49er on Oct 4, 2020 at 11:25 PM ]

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by random49er:

Kap was a stud in the making, but you know how people like to revise history. Would've been nice to see him grow in an offense like this,...but it's all water under a bridge at this point.

Kap stopped developing as a QB and that's his own damn fault.
What happened with Kap was that his strengths were countered and his weaknesses became more glaring. This led to a bad series of games, so some of us were at least curious to see if Gabbert could mitigate the weaknesses Kap had in regards to being a pocket QB. He did do that.... but at the cost of not having any positive attributes outside of not making some specific glaring mistakes Kap was making. It didn't last because Gabbert was bad, if in a more traditional sense than Kap was at that point. So Kap got his job back and did little to turn the tide of a 2-14 season. Neither QB was someone Shanny wanted to retain in a total rebuild, and that was that.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by random49er:

Kap stopped developing as a QB and that's his own damn fault.

Kap was a one year wonder, he's hot garbage..
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Hey CJ,... nice game bud.

way to hang in there. Had you been put in earlier, who knows, you might even have gotten us a W.

And your last pass? Right on the money. Well done CJ, and I'm really happy for you.

Of course, we all would have liked to have seen Nick play well but didn't. You did a great job coming in and dang near won it for us. Thanks for being ready, being on target, and almost pulling off the impossible. Really, really, well done. Coach couldn't have asked for anything more.

to be fair the defense of the Eagles was playing pretttyyyyyyyyy soft. need to see how CJ does vs. man coverage. but CJ showed a lot of promising things. was good to see him again after all these years in a way cool to see how backups have improved with our improved team around them
At this point, if Jimmy can't go, might as well see what we got with CJB. Any chance of Mullens warranting anything other than a late round pick just went out the window.
Share 49ersWebzone