There are 200 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Mullens or CJ would just be another loss.

If Miami plays us the way they played Seattle yesterday, then you're probably right.
I can't believe there are actually people in here who are fooled by CJ's performance in garbage time last night. Yeah, he made some nice throws but he's always done that. His big problem is that when the stakes are high, he folds like a cheap tent and chokes. His 1-9 win/loss record speaks for itself and 2 of those losses came to a s**tty Cardinals team led by Josh Rosen!
[ Edited by TWD_Fan on Oct 5, 2020 at 5:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Mullens or CJ would just be another loss.

If Miami plays us the way they played Seattle yesterday, then you're probably right.

Hopefully the loss to the Hawks deflated the Dolphins Intensity.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TWD_Fan:
I can't believe there are actually people in here who are fooled by CJ's performance in garbage time last night. Yeah, he made some nice throws but he's always done that. His big problem is that when the stakes are high, he folds like a cheap tent and chokes. His 1-9 win/loss record speaks for itself and 2 of those losses came to a s**tty Cardinals team led by Josh Rosen!

Yup exactly. Just stick with Mullens.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

You guys really need to go back and watch those games again and see what happened. Several of those games came down to critical mistakes by other people -- NOT BEATHARD.

Do you not remember the Celek deflection off a perfect pass against the Chargers at the 2 yard line? How about the Juice fumble against Green Bay? The Mostert fumble against Arizona? No?

Beathard had this team moving the ball many times and our team choked around him. He had his bad moments just like Mullens but let's be real, I've never seen him throw picks as ugly as Nick has. The deep game is an option with Beathard, the quarterback run is an option with him.

The record is nowhere near as bad as it seems. All that said, let's be clear, he's no superstar. But I don't think it's totally crazy to suggest he is a viable alternative to Mullens.
mullens still gives us the best chance to beat miami IMO

we definitely need jimmy to play though, i dont trust our backups anymore
Does anyone even want Mullens to start another game?
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Now that we've cooled down from the game,....I'd ask jonnydel to break down his two "unforgiveable" INTs and perhaps shed some light on to how they'd even possibly happen,....but he only breaks down JimmyG's plays...unfortunately.
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Now that we've cooled down from the game,....I'd ask jonnydel to break down his two "unforgiveable" INTs and perhaps shed some light on to how they'd even possibly happen,....but he only breaks down JimmyG's plays...unfortunately.

Johnny reviewed them and actually said Mullens was even worse than he thought initially.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

You guys really need to go back and watch those games again and see what happened. Several of those games came down to critical mistakes by other people -- NOT BEATHARD.

Do you not remember the Celek deflection off a perfect pass against the Chargers at the 2 yard line? How about the Juice fumble against Green Bay? The Mostert fumble against Arizona? No?

Beathard had this team moving the ball many times and our team choked around him. He had his bad moments just like Mullens but let's be real, I've never seen him throw picks as ugly as Nick has. The deep game is an option with Beathard, the quarterback run is an option with him.

The record is nowhere near as bad as it seems. All that said, let's be clear, he's no superstar. But I don't think it's totally crazy to suggest he is a viable alternative to Mullens.

I wouldn't say it was garbage time, but the defense was more in a zone and not blitzing. When the time finally came down for Beathard to make his mark and take advantage of his opportunity, he just chokes. I will say this, that semi-hail mary in the endzone was a total pass interference, the defender clearly hooks one of the 49ers receivers arm (I forgot who). The ball should've been on the 1 yard line.

I would say that Casey Jesus Beathard has the best arm on the team, but, and I take nothing from his bravery, it must not be forgotten that he was slinging it versus the Eagles prevent defense.

I do believe he showcased enough moxie to warrant consideration to moving to the number 2 position, but until Jimmy G shows that the Jets game is the anomaly and the Cardinals game is who he is, or that this wild inconsistency is who he is, or until he remains injured, Casey Jesus Beathard's place is on the bench.

Should Jimmy be unawailable going forward, however, Nick Mullen and the worst interception of all time that he threw has no right to start over Casey Jesus Beathard until the latter proves what he did in the final minutes of the Eagles game was but an fluke.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Gabberwocky:
I would say that Casey Jesus Beathard has the best arm on the team, but, and I take nothing from his bravery, it must not be forgotten that he was slinging it versus the Eagles prevent defense.

I do believe he showcased enough moxie to warrant consideration to moving to the number 2 position, but until Jimmy G shows that the Jets game is the anomaly and the Cardinals game is who he is, or that this wild inconsistency is who he is, or until he remains injured, Casey Jesus Beathard's place is on the bench.

Should Jimmy be unawailable going forward, however, Nick Mullen and the worst interception of all time that he threw has no right to start over Casey Jesus Beathard until the latter proves what he did in the final minutes of the Eagles game was but an fluke.

Give me 4-6 Nick Mullens over 1-9 CJ Beathard.

Beathard = Fools gold

Beathard = Fools gold

Well we've seen how much Mullens has grown over the last couple of years.

How are you so sure that Beathard hasn't gotten better as a player?

Beathard = Fools gold
Perhaps. But is it not possible that 2020 Casey Jesus Beathard is better than 2018 Casey Jesus Beathard? It certainly appeared so yesterday, albeit it was versus the Eagles prevent and CJ clearly had nothing to lose. On the other hand, Mullen also faced the Eagles late defense and threw the Worst Interception in Living Memory.

If football is to be an performance based game, and if the NFL is about what have you done for me lately, the Eagles game surely must have Shanahan contemplating an demotion for Mullen.

As for me, I'd go by what I see in practice, but since I cannot see practice, I see little to lose in either putting CJ as the 2 or drastically reducing the leash on Mullen.

But what is most interesting of all is that CJ's weaknesses have nothing to do with his physical talent. Of the three QBs on the team, I am an firm believer that he is the most talented. His deep arm is better than all three's, and he also is more mobile than the others. Jimmy, of course, has that side arm, off platform magic that few QBs have, but it doesn't help much when it gets George Kittle injured. Not that I'm saying promote CJ over Jimmy. That would be absurd foolishness. I am merely saying that time of the bench may have helped CJ much as it did Alex Smith. Who knows what his limit is? Because his physical limits are fairly low.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Beathard deserves a chance to start.
Share 49ersWebzone