There are 282 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Beathard is the best runner of the 3.

With the way our line has been blocking... we might need a QB who can use their legs?

...but then again he always fumbles.
Beathard wasn't even getting rushed and they were playing prevent giving up all the underneath stuff. He looked sharp but he didn't play the type of defense they were throwing at Mullens. They were blowing up our line on every play for most of the game
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Beathard wasn't even getting rushed and they were playing prevent giving up all the underneath stuff. He looked sharp but he didn't play the type of defense they were throwing at Mullens. They were blowing up our line on every play for most of the game

Yes, this is true, but it is also true Beathard has the better arm. Perhaps he has learned something in his time on the bench? Hopefully it will not matter, and Jimmy G will be ready to go.

If he is not, even if I play Mullen, I play him with the shortest of leashes.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Beathard has always played with a subpar OL. He's always under pressure, so it's hard to tell how good he'd be, if he had time to go through his progressions.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 5, 2020 at 10:12 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Beathard has always played with a subpar OL. He's always under pressure, so it's hard to tell how good he'd do, if he had time to throw.

Good point, Mayo.
Beathard has always played with a subpar OL. He's always under pressure, so it's hard to tell how good he'd do, if he had time to throw.

Perhaps his game against the Gints one can see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQvPibYXRo
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

When he has time to throw - he's very affective.
What if CJ is our best QB? The prodigal son returns

SIKE
I'd start Mullens but have him on a short leash
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Give me 4-6 Nick Mullens over 1-9 CJ Beathard.

Beathard = Fools gold

Well we've seen how much Mullens has grown over the last couple of years.

How are you so sure that Beathard hasn't gotten better as a player?

I'm not, but this crap about giving up on a QB after one bad game (so far) is ridiculous, how is a QB suppose to grow like that?? As of right now, I'll take the QB that has proved he can win games.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Beathard has always played with a subpar OL. He's always under pressure, so it's hard to tell how good he'd be, if he had time to go through his progressions.

All the QB's have played under pressure and I'd still look it as QB1 Jimmy G, QB2 Mullens and QB3 Beathard. Nothing should change even after this past Sunday.
i think CJ deserves a shot eventually but Mullens had one bad game. dont destroy his confidence based on one bad game. we know what CJ brings, we saw him for an extended period. he fumbles and tosses picks frequently. if Nick comes out and stinks again then pull him mid way but i think you start nick again if Jimmy cant go
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
i think CJ deserves a shot eventually but Mullens had one bad game. dont destroy his confidence based on one bad game. we know what CJ brings, we saw him for an extended period. he fumbles and tosses picks frequently. if Nick comes out and stinks again then pull him mid way but i think you start nick again if Jimmy cant go

That's probably what's going to happen. As much as I want Beathard to start, I think Kyle goes with Mullens again.

In truth, the QB who loses confidence over an benching does not have the resolute scrota made of steel which is required to be great. This was Alex Smith early on, but the "We Want Carr" game inflicted upon him the necessary fire to no longer care about what the world thinks, and it gave him the fierce eyes needed to maximize his potential. But it wasn't until then that he became one of the better quarterbacks.

As for what Casey Jesus Beathard brings, recall that the last time other than yesterday that he played was many moons ago. Perhaps time on the bench has allowed him to grow in the mental side of things, and perhaps time in practice has slightly slowed the game down for him?
[ Edited by Gabberwocky on Oct 6, 2020 at 3:27 AM ]
That's probably what's going to happen. As much as I want Beathard to start, I think Kyle goes with Mullens again.

Yes, that seems to be what is likely.
Share 49ersWebzone