There are 326 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Gabberwocky:
Originally posted by dj43:
Your post was corrected for clarity.
Why thank you. But the reference was deliberate and called back to the irrational fervor that overtook 49ers fandom back in 2017 when many foolishly considered Beathard to be the savior of the franchise. This was all the rage on the "Official" 49ers board back then. Apologies if I insulted your religious preferences.

It was not about religion, more about not sounding snarky to those that supported Beathard back then.
It was not about religion, more about not sounding snarky to those that supported Beathard back then.

Of course the irony is that I am supporting him now.
CJ Montana, don't doubt me on this.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Beathard looked like a different player Sunday night than we saw two years ago, albeit against a soft zone. The thing that impressed me the most was his arm strength. He made some throws that neither of the other two can make - on a line to the correct guy. Also, his Hail Mary at the end of the game seemed effortless, yet it was perfect. With a little luck, Kittle grabs it or it falls into the arms of Bourne for a game-winner. It was that close.

He also is the best at escaping pressure, something we have been discussing about QBs in another thread.

Like most everyone else, I hope Jimmy is fully healthy, able to move well enough to protect himself and plays well. If he cannot, CJ is my choice

He did look like a different player, but I'm not sure if Beathard will thrive if our O-line is giving up that many pressures, hits, and sacks. I'd personally like to see him get the start if it allows us to start developing a vertical passing attack. Our offense seems truncated by design to adapt to Mullens skill set.
Quite an interesting take from MM on Mullens vs. CJB:

Maiocco told Tolbert, Krueger and Brooks on Monday. "I do think that in the back of Kyle Shanahan's mind, maybe even in the front, I think he believes C.J. Beathard is a better quarterback than Nick Mullens.
Why thank you. But the reference was deliberate and called back to the irrational fervor that overtook 49ers fandom back in 2017 when many foolishly considered Beathard to be the savior of the franchise. This was all the rage on the "Official" 49ers board back then. Apologies if I insulted your religious preferences.

Absolutely no one said that lol
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Maiocco told Tolbert, Krueger and Brooks on Monday. "I do think that in the back of Kyle Shanahan's mind, maybe even in the front, I think he believes C.J. Beathard is a better quarterback than Nick Mullens.

I mean he did trade up and draft one in the 3rd, the other undrafted lol.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

I think anyone who said that at the time was being facetious just kidding around lol.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

I mean he did trade up and draft one in the 3rd, the other undrafted lol.

In terms of pure physical talent, yeah, CJB is well ahead of Mullens in every facet.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

I think anyone who said that at the time was being facetious just kidding around lol.

Yep. I don't recall it either. But as the poster has only been here a year.....

Originally posted by mayo49:
Beathard looked like a different player Sunday night than we saw two years ago, albeit against a soft zone. The thing that impressed me the most was his arm strength. He made some throws that neither of the other two can make - on a line to the correct guy. Also, his Hail Mary at the end of the game seemed effortless, yet it was perfect. With a little luck, Kittle grabs it or it falls into the arms of Bourne for a game-winner. It was that close.

He also is the best at escaping pressure, something we have been discussing about QBs in another thread.

Like most everyone else, I hope Jimmy is fully healthy, able to move well enough to protect himself and plays well. If he cannot, CJ is my choice

Yeah, CJ can do some things when he has time to throw. I hope he gets the start on Sunday.

No actually you hope Jimmy G starts the next game but if he can't for some reason then yeah CJ should start.
[ Edited by ninerjok on Oct 7, 2020 at 12:59 PM ]
https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/140846-shanahan-garoppolo-raheem-mostert-practice-starting-49ers-dolphins-remains/

"Yes, I have (decided on who would start), but I'm going to hold that just because there is a difference between them," Shanahan said. "And if Jimmy can't go, I'd like Miami to find that out on Sunday. But I've decided that.

"We'll give both of them reps because both of them do have to be ready in case Jimmy doesn't go. But if not, you guys will find out that answer (based) on which one is not dressed (on game day)."

THE INTRIGUE IS KILLING ME. I GOTTA KNOW!!! I honestly love that we're being so coy about it though. Usually Kyle seems a bit TOO upfront about stuff sometimes, to me.

I do think Beathard has the best name to cheer on... C - J - B!!! C - J - B!!!
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 7, 2020 at 1:24 PM ]

Last year he had Pettis behind guys he could've played ahead of,...so no surprise there with guys he's "selected" out of a crowd in the mid-to-upper rounds.

I'm all in on this....as the guy understands that competition brings the best out of everyone and is still trying to squeeze what he can out of Beathard.

I have yet to hear much about his work ethic, but this the only thing reasonable for me.
[ Edited by random49er on Oct 7, 2020 at 2:45 PM ]
CJ can play in spot duty but we know what kind of turn over machine he turns into when hes out there too long. Still Mullens job I think. dude had one bad game and his Oline was not helping him at all. If we benched Jimmy after one bad game he would be an afterthought by now. Mullens is still number 1 til number 1 comes back. if number 1 plays like number 2 then number 2 becomes number 1. only if number 2 (standing in for number 1) plays like number 2 will number 3 become number 1
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
CJ can play in spot duty but we know what kind of turn over machine he turns into when hes out there too long. Still Mullens job I think. dude had one bad game and his Oline was not helping him at all. If we benched Jimmy after one bad game he would be an afterthought by now. Mullens is still number 1 til number 1 comes back. if number 1 plays like number 2 then number 2 becomes number 1. only if number 2 (standing in for number 1) plays like number 2 will number 3 become number 1

We seemed to air it out quite a lot more with CJB under center honestly. Maiocco sure seems to think this could be a big reason why Shanahan may go with him after all. It would be a little unfair to say he's totally the same guy without really getting to see how he's progressed. He does have more XP in the system and the better athletic traits over Mullens. If our blocking is this bad, we need a guy who can run.

"there is a difference between them and if Jimmy can't go, I'd like Miami to find that out on Sunday." - Shanahan. Hmmm..

I'll trust Shanny here.. we'll see.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 7, 2020 at 3:00 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone