There are 261 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by BumCity:
Shanahan was waiting for the slightest slip-up from Mullens that could be used as an excuse to reassert his chosen son as the backup and now it has finally happened. He must be delighted.

What absolute nonsense. Who do you imagine put Mullens 2nd in line in the first place?

I think he's saying that Mullens gave no reason for Kyle to not make him #2. Now, that he has an excuse, he can now name Beathard as his #2.

Shanahan is going to play whoever gives him the best chance of a win. Which is not what the previous poster said.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Shanahan was waiting for the slightest slip-up from Mullens that could be used as an excuse to reassert his chosen son as the backup and now it has finally happened. He must be delighted.

What absolute nonsense. Who do you imagine put Mullens 2nd in line in the first place?

I think he's saying that Mullens gave no reason for Kyle to not make him #2. Now, that he has an excuse, he can now name Beathard as his #2.

Shanahan is going to play whoever gives him the best chance of a win. Which is not what the previous poster said.

And that whoever is Beathard.
Bottom line to me is that, if Jimmy can't go, the offense still has the entire playbook at its disposal. You simply don't have the same playcall diversity with Mullens.
Happy to have Jimmy back but I wanted to see C.J. get 1 start first. It would have been nice to see if there has been improvement from 2018.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I predict they let Mullens walk next year and promote CJ to #2.

CJ is a free agent next year and Mullens will get slapped with a RFA tag.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Mullens is a free agent next year and CJ will get slapped with a RFA tag.

Fixed it.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 10, 2020 at 1:47 PM ]

I don't know man. Maybe CJ has looked better than Mullens in practice for a while now, but Kyle hasn't made the change cuz he hasn't had the chance to see it on the field?

There is no way you're right about this statement unless you think two drives against a prevent defense is enough to prove that Beathard is better than Mullens when several games worth of tape shows otherwise. If Shanahan thought Beathard was the better QB before this game and didn't make him the backup then that contradicts your statement.

Bottom line is that, yes, Mullens had a bad game along with a lot of other players on offense, but he's generally played pretty well over his 10 starts and Beathard has been much worse than him across more career starts. This change is entirely about Shanahan using Mullens' poor game as an excuse to move his hand-picked guy in front of the guy he didn't choose.

There is no way you're right about this statement unless you think two drives against a prevent defense is enough to prove that Beathard is better than Mullens when several games worth of tape shows otherwise. If Shanahan thought Beathard was the better QB before this game and didn't make him the backup then that contradicts your statement.

Bottom line is that, yes, Mullens had a bad game along with a lot of other players on offense, but he's generally played pretty well over his 10 starts and Beathard has been much worse than him across more career starts. This change is entirely about Shanahan using Mullens' poor game as an excuse to move his hand-picked guy in front of the guy he didn't choose.

Both only have ten career starts. The only difference is when they made them and the level of competition.

Shanahan was as clear as he could be without throwing anyone under the bus. More or less the only reason he stuck with Mullens over Beathard from 2018 and til now is because he rode the hot hand at the time and kept the status quo until he saw enough to realize who would be better coming in off the bench.

Mullens was given plenty of second chances after bad games in 2018, so it's not like him losing his job after an atrocious outing is all that shocking. His long leash simply expired. The fact that Beathard is still here is quite meaningful. They wouldn't accept offers for either quarterback last year.

We've seen Mullens for several games now and he's pretty much the same guy he was in 2018. With the way our offense is, with play action setting up the deep game, it seems pretty obvious why Beathard would be the preferred choice, especially if they've seen his improvement in practice.

was it just me or did Beathard look significantly bigger?

So to summarise, I said Shanahan would play whoever gives him the best chance of a win. You then said there is no way I am right about this. So in your view Shanahan doesn't select to win?

So to summarise, I said Shanahan would play whoever gives him the best chance of a win. You then said there is no way I am right about this. So in your view Shanahan doesn't select to win?

I am saying that Shanahan isn't immune to personal biases. "Whoever gives us the best chance to win" is not always cut and dry. If Shanahan can find a way to rationalize why the player he traded up for in the 3rd round is better than the UDFA that he didn't choose, he will.
I am saying that Shanahan isn't immune to personal biases. "Whoever gives us the best chance to win" is not always cut and dry. If Shanahan can find a way to rationalize why the player he traded up for in the 3rd round is better than the UDFA that he didn't choose, he will.

Well, that is just your opinion.

Well, that is just your opinion.

Logically, too many people have them.
Share 49ersWebzone