There are 247 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I think CJ should get the start - he's been waiting patiently.

If CJ can just play with more consistent technique, he can be quite good throwing the ball. He got rid of it quick in limited action Sunday. He can definitely run. He has the arm strength to do damage on stops/curl route passes to the outside. Mullens throws SO late as it is, the weak velocity compounds that problem leading to easy INTs.

CJB isn't as good at making the right read, but he at least has SOME ability to improv. Mullens' improv leads to running with the ball out wildly for easy strip-sacks or terrifying throws into traffic almost every time.
In my eyes, Mullens has no business being on this team in 2021. He just doesn't have an NFL arm. CJ at least has a good arm and good mobility. The more live reps CJ gets, the more we will know on whether he can be a #2 QB or not.

Yeah, to be very honest, I think it's unfair to completely judge CJB on the Dolphins game where he was thrust in for just one half of play. They've lit up many far better QBs this year, and overall, CJB has actually shown more good than bad in limited action this year. His calm and toughness is admirable and a great change-up from the constantly frantic, terrified look on Nick Mullens running for his life in sheer panic.

Beathard so far this season: 28/45 (62.2%) for 332 Yds (7.4 YPA), 2 TD, 0 INT. Mullens had his chance. At least let CJB get some first team reps and see how he fares as a starter for a few games so you have more film to compare for later.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

If CJ can just play with more consistent technique, he can be quite good throwing the ball. He got rid of it quick in limited action Sunday. He can definitely run. He has the arm strength to do damage on stops/curl route passes to the outside. Mullens throws SO late as it is, the weak velocity compounds that problem leading to easy INTs.

CJB isn't as good at making the right read, but he at least has SOME ability to improv. Mullens' improv leads to running with the ball out wildly for easy strip-sacks or terrifying throws into traffic almost every time.

I remember CJ being put behind some of our worst OL - he had no chance.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 22, 2020 at 8:01 AM ]

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/10/30/16571452/c-j-beathard-transcript-49ers-eagles-sacks -- We lost both starting OTs and then we lost the backup OT in that game. CJB was playing behind a line of: Darrell Williams (UDFA rookie) - Tomlinson - Kilgore - Fusco (out of the leage) - Beadles (OG trying to play OT, also out of the league now)

This times 100. Play CJ
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for BlackGoat49.
This guy sucks too needs to be released along with Mullens at the end of the season
  • thl408
Between turnovers (Mullens) and sacks (CJ), I'd prefer sacks. I want to see CJ next week, if anything just to remind myself why he shouldn't be playing.
Mullens apparently will need elbow surgery.

Beathard might start these last two games.
Originally posted by thl408:
Between turnovers (Mullens) and sacks (CJ), I'd prefer sacks. I want to see CJ next week, if anything just to remind myself why he shouldn't be playing.

Have you ever paid attention to CJ talk? Dude sounds punch drunk. I worry that he's taken too much brain damage. Dude got his brains smashed in college. I hope that's not why he's such a slow field processor.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 22, 2020 at 11:15 AM ]
Watch us win at least one of these games with Beathard, Mullens arm is probably going to be even worse after that elbow surgery
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Watch us win at least one of these games with Beathard, Mullens arm is probably going to be even worse after that elbow surgery

Beathard is 1-9 as a starter and his one win (while one of my favorites as a 49ers fan) was against the garbage 2017 Giants.

We have the 8-6 Cardinals and 10-4 Seahawks left, and both will have things to play for.

He does inject some life into an offense whenever he comes in mid-game but our chances of winning these last two games is about the same as with Mullens tbh.

• thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:

Have you ever paid attention to CJ talk? Dude sounds punch drunk. I worry that he's taken too much brain damage. Dude got his brains smashed in college. I hope that's not why he's such a slow field processor.

I've heard him talk, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Even if CJ has improved his awareness and recognition, he'd probably be improving from 'bad' to 'below average'. Not having a preseason really hurt CJ since he didn't play at all in 2019. Guess we'll see this Saturday.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Beathard is 1-9 as a starter and his one win (while one of my favorites as a 49ers fan) was against the garbage 2017 Giants.

We have the 8-6 Cardinals and 10-4 Seahawks left, and both will have things to play for.

He does inject some life into an offense whenever he comes in mid-game but our chances of winning these last two games is about the same as with Mullens tbh.

Not saying it's going to happen but Jets beat a 9 win team and bengals beat an 11 win team with both those teams still playing for their divisions and were easily better than both the Jets and bengals. Anything can happen especially division games

This, lol. At this point, we're gonna see Beathard whether we like it or not, with Mullens out for the year. I DO NOT under ANY circumstances want Jimmy out there. What's the point? Win games that do nothing for us now? Get him hurt worse and require off-season surgery? No thank you. Just let him heal and let CJB + Josh Johnson cover the last two games.
Better arm than Mullens and equally tough if he can only get rid of the ball quickly and not hold onto it. He gets to work with the starting O.
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Better arm than Mullens and equally tough if he can only get rid of the ball quickly and not hold onto it. He gets to work with the starting O.

Clarify "better arm"?
(Yes, I know that CJ had a stronger arm)

I mean, where do some get comments like this..
The o-line doesn't hold up to give these qb's time to hit the deep routes..
Watch the games & you'll see this.
Share 49ersWebzone