There are 801 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by okdkid:
Would love to bring back Beathard to compete for a backup spot

Let him and Rosen compete. If Jimmy is brought back I maybe still go qb like Lance since I don't really see Lynch giving up a lot to go up and have Lance 3rd string. He does not need to see the field in year one unless the backup to Jimmy gets hurt, Kyle's system isn't easy. But I expect folks in here to say Lance is a bust because he's 3rd string and can't beat out CJ or Rosen
I wonder what the Niners record would be if Kyle went with CJ instead of Mullens. Not that CJ is a much better QB but because he may not have turned the ball over like Mullens did which is all the Niners needed to win 3 of those games they lost. Eagles, WFT, and Cowboys. 3 wins right there if they protect the football.
He looked serviceable. He seemed to get the ball out faster than what I've seen. They had a couple of drops. When they gave him max protection he completed a pass to the outside and was pretty good on play action. He received a vicious helmet to helmet on the designed run that wasn't penalized but he was okay. Struggled in 3rd and long but they need to leave a back in and give him some time and help McGlinchey. No need to send out 5 guys into the pattern and expect your 3rd stringer to make the throws. He threw a couple of attempts where he didn't drop back and was flat footed one could have been a disaster pick six at the end of the half. He'll get another look against the much hated Shehawks. As long as he lets the ball go and doesn't hold onto it he should be a decent backup but that is the big if.
Originally posted by BYisGod:
I would bring CJ back. Big arm, semi-mobile, and knows the system.

Yep. Good backup to have.
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
He looked serviceable. He seemed to get the ball out faster than what I've seen. They had a couple of drops. When they gave him max protection he completed a pass to the outside and was pretty good on play action. He received a vicious helmet to helmet on the designed run that wasn't penalized but he was okay. Struggled in 3rd and long but they need to leave a back in and give him some time and help McGlinchey. No need to send out 5 guys into the pattern and expect your 3rd stringer to make the throws. He threw a couple of attempts where he didn't drop back and was flat footed one could have been a disaster pick six at the end of the half. He'll get another look against the much hated Shehawks. As long as he lets the ball go and doesn't hold onto it he should be a decent backup but that is the big if.

I don't think there is a helmet to helmet on a runner although I could be wrong.
He looked decent because the Cards run D was so bad it freed him up to pass the ball a little. He will probably look terrible against Seattle next week and the narrative will go back to "Beathard is awful. Rosen should be the backup next year." Funny how it changes week to week based on the results of one game.
Bring CJ back and just straight up have an open QB competition with Jimmy. At least that's what Bill Walsh would do.
Originally posted by Niners99:
He looked decent because the Cards run D was so bad it freed him up to pass the ball a little. He will probably look terrible against Seattle next week and the narrative will go back to "Beathard is awful. Rosen should be the backup next year." Funny how it changes week to week based on the results of one game.

They are backups for a reason. How many backups in the NFL are actually starter material.
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
Bring CJ back and just straight up have an open QB competition with Jimmy. At least that's what Bill Walsh would do.

Bill Walsh would bring in a QB that might actually have enough ability to challenge Jimmy. To suggest Beathard and Garoppolo are similar enough to compete for a job is completely ridiculous.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by Niners99:

They are backups for a reason. How many backups in the NFL are actually starter material.

LOL here you are again, arguing with literally EVERYTHING I say, even though you don't even understand the point. Where did I say either were starter material? I said the fan opinion changes week to week about who should be the number 2 QB based on whatever they did that week. Beathard looked good this week, so everyone thinks he looks like solid backup. If he sucks next week, everyone will be wanting Rosen to be the backup heading into next season.

Are you actually that dense, or do you just obsessively twist everything I say into something you can try and argue about? It's getting weird at this point.

Originally posted by Second2Nunley:
Originally posted by Niner4ever:

I don't think there is a helmet to helmet on a runner although I could be wrong.

Helmet to helmet/ targeting should have been called.
Yeah if he wants guy should be brought in to compete for the backup spot. That's the best the team should offer.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Would love to bring back Beathard to compete for a backup spot

Yes me too.

My concern is seeing how consistent he is. We have not seen much of him really since 2017. That year was not a good indicator of his potential because he was thrown in the deep end without much of a team around him in a rebuild year from the Tomsula/Kelly dumpster fire.

It would be impressive if he could win against the Seahawks next week or at least make a close game of it. Big ask. Kyle should have put him in a couple of games earlier to assess this. Unfortunately Nick was in a downhill spiral and Kyle, as most coaches do, hang on too long before benching a QB.

At this stage I think he has more potential then Mullens as Mullens should have sorted his decision making out by the time of his arm injury.
Mullens needs to not be tendered a contract this off season. He most likely won't be healthy enough to play until mid or late season anyways, same with J. Taylor, I liked how he was playing, but we should not offer Taylor a deal either. Both players can heal on their own, and then when healthy, if we need them, then we could look at bringing them onto the team, tired of having our I.R. always full of players.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Mullens needs to not be tendered a contract this off season. He most likely won't be healthy enough to play until mid or late season anyways, same with J. Taylor, I liked how he was playing, but we should not offer Taylor a deal either. Both players can heal on their own, and then when healthy, if we need them, then we could look at bringing them onto the team, tired of having our I.R. always full of players.
So you want injured players to heal on their own because you're tired of having them on the IR? Lol

This isn't your fantasy team which has a cap on IR slots
[ Edited by Howlett49 on Dec 27, 2020 at 2:15 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone