There are 292 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Nobody will be able to say he was playing a team that was mailing it in so if he looks decent, I agree they should bring him back. Naturally it's going to depend on what happens with Jimmy and whether or not they draft a QB. Even then it might be smart to bring him back since he knows the offense.

I think Jimmy will probably be back, and they'll draft a QB. With that said, CJ should still be back. Jimmy gets hurt a lot, so he may have to play if a potential rookie isn't ready

They won't be drafting any QB. They decided on Rosen. CJ played the game to keep his job and Jimmy G will be starting. Forget Wilson, Lance etc it is just all by Grant Cohn and other click bait journos.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Nobody will be able to say he was playing a team that was mailing it in so if he looks decent, I agree they should bring him back. Naturally it's going to depend on what happens with Jimmy and whether or not they draft a QB. Even then it might be smart to bring him back since he knows the offense.

I think Jimmy will probably be back, and they'll draft a QB. With that said, CJ should still be back. Jimmy gets hurt a lot, so he may have to play if a potential rookie isn't ready

They won't be drafting any QB. They decided on Rosen. CJ played the game to keep his job and Jimmy G will be starting. Forget Wilson, Lance etc it is just all by Grant Cohn and other click bait journos.

Yep I think this more reality. You don't give up on a SB QB one year removed almost winning it save for a few plays when you starting center was out and the primary WR joined the team at the October trade deadline. There are so many reasons why Jimmy is coming back despite another injury. The real question is will the defense be back to its old ways as we solidify the OL and again invest in more durable WRs. It's hard to build rapport with receivers when they're as oft injured as Deebo.

Shanahan and Lynch will be drafting secondaries and Oline. That is where our need is.

They can keep Jimmy and draft a guy. Mullens won't be back, and CJ was so deep in the dog house that Mullens kept playing until his arm fell off. They need to upgrade the backups, probably. And Jimmy has a long history with injuries, even in NE.

You're too sensitive and emotional with Jimmy. Think rationally. Good backups are extremely valuable

They can keep Jimmy and draft a guy. Mullens won't be back, and CJ was so deep in the dog house that Mullens kept playing until his arm fell off. They need to upgrade the backups, probably. And Jimmy has a long history with injuries, even in NE.

You're too sensitive and emotional with Jimmy. Think rationally. Good backups are extremely valuable

Nope I am just realistic.

This injury prone Jimmy narrative is just nonsense. When you get crushed by defensive linesmen weighing over 300lbs does not mean you are injury prone. It means the Oline is not doing its job. It has more clear now that JG is out that the Oline is not doing its job as now Mullens is out because the Oline did not protect him.

If you use the same measure on Deebo, Mostert, Kittle and over half the starters then they are all injury prone. Your analysis lacks cause and effect and hence is poor.

It was interesting to watch you debate with Jonnydel. I don't want to get personal but you were way out of your depth but you just kept making assertions that lacked the same sort of foundation as Jonnydel had. You need to develop some insight into how your analysis is lacking and how it is poor form for you to attack people as being "emotional" and not thinking rationally. You are projecting exactly what you are doing. I say this sincerely and not to slight you.
Nope I am just realistic.

This injury prone Jimmy narrative is just nonsense. When you get crushed by defensive linesmen weighing over 300lbs does not mean you are injury prone. It means the Oline is not doing its job. It has more clear now that JG is out that the Oline is not doing its job as now Mullens is out because the Oline did not protect him.

If you use the same measure on Deebo, Mostert, Kittle and over half the starters then they are all injury prone. Your analysis lacks cause and effect and hence is poor.

It was interesting to watch you debate with Jonnydel. I don't want to get personal but you were way out of your depth but you just kept making assertions that lacked the same sort of foundation as Jonnydel had. You need to develop some insight into how your analysis is lacking and how it is poor form for you to attack people as being "emotional" and not thinking rationally. You are projecting exactly what you are doing. I say this sincerely and not to slight you.

Your last paragraph is 100% personal, and you've been personal with me for months for two reason: 1. Covid thread, 2. This Jimmy thing. I've tried to be ease things up with you, but your emotional ties to #10 prevent you from not bashing me.

You hype up Jonny because he shares your opinion. I can literally post quotes and articles from experts who share my PoV on Jimmy and you wouldn't care. He's average, and the team should look for an upgrade. If they can't find one (probably won't) bring him back. Care to share anything particular about my debate with Jonny several days ago which you're still talking about?

Regarding injuries, I got Jonny to agree that comparing other positions to QBs is silly and lacks any sort of foundation. There are rules in place to protect QBs like no other position in sports because of the value they have. Deebo is a RB/WR, as an example, so he has a much higher propensity to get injured. As do the running back and tight end position you cited above. Teams plan for injuries from those positions. QB1 is different. Much more valuable, generally, if a QB1 is always hurt the team won't succeed.

As a foundation as to why I say you're emotional, you missed my primary point about the need to upgrade the backup QB and their value and focused on trying to insult me and say Jimmy isn't injury prone even though he's missed almost half of the games as a Niner

Now, you can say this post lacks foundation but I'd say you got schooled here. Hopefully Jonny comes to save you.
[ Edited by sacniner on Dec 28, 2020 at 3:17 PM ]
Beathard surely surprised me on Saturday. He looked more decisive than usual and made some good passes, some that were dropped. But even Mullens had good games so im chalking it up as a good game from a career backup. Looking forward to seeing a little more from him.
  • thl408
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Beathard surely surprised me on Saturday. He looked more decisive than usual and made some good passes, some that were dropped. But even Mullens had good games so im chalking it up as a good game from a career backup. Looking forward to seeing a little more from him.

He surprised me as well. Made a couple of really nice, well placed throws. One was the back shoulder throw to Kittle, away from the defender, short of the safety.
Originally posted by thl408:

He surprised me as well. Made a couple of really nice, well placed throws. One was the back shoulder throw to Kittle, away from the defender, short of the safety.

Was that on the final drive? That throw was nice and surprised the hell out of me
  • thl408
Originally posted by thl408:

Was that on the final drive? That throw was nice and surprised the hell out of me

Yes.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AceDuce49:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, they're playing for the #1 seed - it'll be fun to knock them out of that.

Yeah that will be a nice late Christmas gift

Two years in a row? To hell with that draft pick

Daaamn, we got a bunch of new additions to the injury list including BA and Trent Williams (both are out)

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by LVJay:
He looked ok against a garbage defense. If he plays next week, he might look ok again against an ok defense with the cawks

I don't know man, he threw for three touchdowns (with no picks) and had a handful of on-the-money throws that were just plain dropped. Cardinals are ranked Top 10 in the NFL against the pass and 9th in the NFL in Yds/Play allowed. Not to mention this was a must-win for them to solidify their playoffs chances.

Beathard had a fine performance, totaling 200+ total yards passing and rushing against a winning team with a top 10 defense & playoff aspirations. I don't expect a win this week unless our OL pass protects better, but if he looks good again, I think he certainly deserves to come back and compete for a backup job.

Their run defense isn't any good, especially that day.

I've rooted for CJ and Mullens since they got here. They are 49ers. I hope CJ really has improved and this wasn't about one game. I can't hold my breath anymore with our backups.
Ok, so I have changed my mind. The Niners should let Mullens walk, sign CJ to a RFA same round tender offer. If someone wants him, the niners get a third roun pick. Save a million over the 2nd round tender.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Ok, so I have changed my mind. The Niners should let Mullens walk, sign CJ to a RFA same round tender offer. If someone wants him, the niners get a third roun pick. Save a million over the 2nd round tender.

Mullens won't be playing for anyone in 2021. Not till his arm is fixed.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I love CJ - I'd love to bring him back. Got to wonder if he gets an offer he can't refuse, though.

Originally posted by philgardis49:
I'd take him on a 2 yr deal for $2M with a team option on the second year to be the backup QB to either Stafford or Wilson

One game folks.. as much as everyone, and rightly so, praised his improvement compared to what we've seen from in the past... he still did show some of his bad tendencies in that win.

It's going to be tough not having Trent Williams out there, as well as Aiyuk for this week. At least he'll have a hungry Kittle out there. So looking forward to seeing if Beathard keeps it up.

Curious to see who will be available next year as a backup QB, but I'd rather have someone like Tyrod Taylor (if available) or someone more proven, as a #2... especially if we plan to make a Super Bowl run.

I don't trust relying on Josh Rosen as our #2.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 28, 2020 at 7:47 PM ]
Has Beathard improved enough to be the #2 in 2021...? I want to say yes, but not so sure.
Share 49ersWebzone