There are 205 users in the forums

The Raheem "The joy of a dream" Mostert thread!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by BYisGod:
Mike Shanahan likes cat-quick running backs that can run effectively behind a zone blocking scheme. This is why you will often see 49er RB's suddenly cut back behind the line of scrimmage to take advantage of a slight crease that has opened in the zone blocking scheme. This type of running attack, as we have seen time and again, can be extremely effective because it keeps defenses on the defensive. They can't attack a particular spot in the line because it often means the attacking defensive players will be out of position in a zone blocking type of approach.

The bad news to this type of attack is most of the RB's cannot last an entire season. As fans, we have often witnessed multiple backs go down to one injury or another. That's because many of the backs utilized in this attack simply do not have the upper or lower body strength to last a full season of getting pounded on. If you do find that back that has the strength to survive this kind of punishment, it means they are too slow to run in a zone style of attack.

Although the 49ers have a new "bell cow" RB in Elijah Mitchell, I strongly suspect he will not last beyond the next 4-5 games. That means we may see Trey Sermon at some point. But if he is a prototypical Shanahan RB, I suspect he won't last longer than 4-5 games either.

Bite your tongue, dude.

Apologies. I'm just basing my observations on what I've seen under the Shanahan offensive system. Running backs do not last very long.

Alfred Morris lasted enough in 2012 to rush over 1600 yards.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by raywm3:
I have loved this guy from day 1. I could see the talent when he spot played a few years ago and even made him one of my top picks in fantasy this year (which I normally stay away from Niners for superstitious reasons). But I think I'm done. Can't stand players that are always hurt, and to DECLARE YOU'RE OUT FOR THE SEASON???? What a punk. GTFO!

We really do have some of the worst fans. You aren't as bad as the fan who contacted his wife with death threats but you're up there.

Our fanbase is turning into eagles east fanbase
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Originally posted by BYisGod:
On Monday, Coach Shanahan announced that Raheem would miss "eight weeks."

Today, Raheem announces "he's done" for the season.

Hmm....

I wonder if fan reaction to the injury (as disclosed in his wife's post on social media) had something to do with his decision.

Lol our fanbase is so bad

i'd blame random DFS and Fantasy Football players more than our fanbase. the DFS and FF crowds are toxic.

What is DFS?
Raheem's getting the "full" surgery on his knee so he can compete in next year's FA pool. His days as a Niner are arguably done. He had some great games for us, but his injury history makes it highly unlikely he'd re-sign with the Niners. The RB corps will be fine...Mitchell, Sermon & Hasty can get the job done and Wilson will probably be back after the week 6 bye. They're signing Kerryon Johnson, still just 24 to the PS. My guess is he'll see action at some point. He seems like a good fit. I wish Raheem success in the future...he's a good guy who deserves some good health.
Huge downer for him and the team. I hope he is brought back on a deal that protects the team. The ability is there. But the durability is not. This opens the door wide for our rookies, Hasty, and Wilson.
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
Did he just quit on the team? Where will he be next year, it's not going to be here.

Hard to say.

I think he could come back, but not as proven bellcow.

Like Jimmy G, the injuries take away the leverage.

In Mostert's case, he's certainly good enough to be on the team, but can't dictate RB1 or salary demands....with the 49ers or other teams.

I would love Mostert back in that late 2019 role.
Iirc he almost sat out to get more money? Thus opening the door for Brieda to leave?
Do you guys think that Saquon Barkley could be a good fit for Kyle's system?

I get the sense he will never live up to the promise with NYG, and might be available for a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Had the ACL injury, but I imagine he is not injury prone like Mostert.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Antix:
Damn. Its sad to think what coulda been if he could stay healthy. If he could take every snap he'd probably the league in rushing. Oh well.

yep. nothing can be done.. we will decide about what to do with him in may.. now onward with the men we have back there

I think we are still strong with Mitchell, Sermon, and Hasty. Kerryon Johnson signing is just meh, insurance if the other 3 get hurt. Here's why you draft a RB every year.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

I get the sense he will never live up to the promise with NYG, and might be available for a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Great pick up. We will never get him.

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Iirc he almost sat out to get more money? Thus opening the door for Brieda to leave?

I think brieda fell out of rotation behind Mostert and Wilson
Hope the surgery goes well and he's able to come back healthy next year. People being critical of him and his decision are ridiculous. It's his body, that comes first.

RBs that don't get hurt are the exception not the norm, comes with the punishment of the position.
Sad to see him done for the year, out of all the backs during training camp and preseason he looked the most in shape and ready to have a big year.

Kyle's system (or his dads) doesn't need a star RB. The system makes the stars

Why waste the cap space or draft picks for one.
Share 49ersWebzone