There are 202 users in the forums

The Raheem "The joy of a dream" Mostert thread!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Mostert chose not to rehab and comeback late this season, or at least playoffs, so that he can get 110% for another team in free agency?

Certainly sounds like he quit on this team, and took his guaranteed cash/cap space while doing so. He could've waited the 8-10 weeks to see if he can recover, then if not healed, taken the season ending surgery. But, he never even gave it a chance he just called it quits.

I regret ever defending this guy during his contract dispute.

He was never going to come back. Every time a player is given 8-10 weeks, it magically turns into season ending. I would rather know now, so the team can plan accordingly. Hopefully Wilson can go when he's eligible so we can get a power runner in the stable.

Sounded like he had a good chance of coming back at least by seasons end or playoffs. Shanny wouldn't have given an estimate like that if he hadn't talk to medical staff about the situation. He could have easily said, well wait for further testing etc etc that coaches usually say when it's up in the air.

This seems like mostert could've have came back at 70-80% if needed late in season but chose not to because he didn't want to hurt his future earnings in FA, by possibly putting bad tape out there.
It also could be that he's choosing to trust his medical team over what the team doctors recommend. Team doctors aren't always right. I don't think he would want to come back at 70-80% when he just got hurt after 2 carries when he was 100%. More than likely he'd probably get hurt and be having surgery anyway. I get your point. This is a business and you do have to look out for yourself and your future
Yea looks like Raheem made a business decision and shut it down.
Originally posted by dj43:
Mostert chose not to rehab and comeback late this season, or at least playoffs, so that he can get 110% for another team in free agency?

Certainly sounds like he quit on this team, and took his guaranteed cash/cap space while doing so. He could've waited the 8-10 weeks to see if he can recover, then if not healed, taken the season ending surgery. But, he never even gave it a chance he just called it quits.

I regret ever defending this guy during his contract dispute.

I disagree with the criticism of opting for surgery. Chipped cartilage is rarely something that repairs itself. The chip just floats around in the joint, frequently landing in a spot that restricts movement and is very painful. Also, the remaining edge is usually jagged and sharp and needs trimming. That will never changed without surgery, and that takes time for recovery. Had he waited 8-10 weeks and still needed surgery, he would not have been available to us or anyone else until well into next summer.

Just bad luck...

The problem is that Shanny said just yesterday that he had a chip knee cartilage that would sideline him 8 weeks. So, Shanny had to talk to medical team about his situation. Unless Shanny is an MD and was able to diagnose him and came up with a timeline without consulting team doctors. I'm sure the Doctors factored in everything you said and still came up with that timeline.

Mostert did what what was best for himself going forward. He already got paid for this season and didnt want to risk future money(kind of how you alluded to in he bold).

Btw, No way he comes back to this team. He's goner. No way Shanny and Lynch re-sign him after quitting.
Dr. Chao was on Sirius with Kirwan and Miller and he noted this is a far more serious injury than other cartilage injuries....potentially calling it a career ender even with surgery.
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
Dr. Chao was on Sirius with Kirwan and Miller and he noted this is a far more serious injury than other cartilage injuries....potentially calling it a career ender even with surgery.

Then that means our team doctors are stupid with the 8 week timeline. This might be a bigger issue and may be the reason for a lot of injuries because they don't know wtf they are doing.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Then that means our team doctors are stupid with the 8 week timeline. This might be a bigger issue and may be the reason for a lot of injuries because they don't know wtf they are doing.

They did miss diagnose McKinnons torn ACL injury for a calf strain.
[ Edited by jcs on Sep 14, 2021 at 2:40 PM ]
Originally posted by jcs:

Uh Oh. Does this mean we need a "Are 49er Team Doctors Complete Buffons?" thread on Webzone?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Uh Oh. Does this mean we need a "Are 49er Team Doctors Complete Buffons?" thread on Webzone?

Nah that's what this is for...https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/189063-injuries-7-year-analysis/page163/

Could also just be a difference of medical opinion.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

I didn't want to say it but ....

I mean it's starting to look like a real possibility. Big gap between 8 weeks and season ending. Somebody f**ked up.

Well, he did look good for the 4 plays.
The worst part about losing Mostert IMO is the potential of his role this season. I was expecting him to have a career year.

Otoh Mitchell seems like another fit.
Originally posted by ltrain:
Well, he did look good for the 4 plays.

3.6 million for only four plays
Down 2 players after 1 game. Sorry Mostert. You will be missed. Good luck with your operation.
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Sooooo much soft on this team. Soft.

Seriously. Thought about taking him in fantasy for a hot second, then remembered his history and knew he'd never make it through the season. But the 1st quarter? My goodness….

First quarter? 2 runs,Lol. Soft as cotton.
Share 49ersWebzone