There are 265 users in the forums

The Raheem "The joy of a dream" Mostert thread!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by GEEK:
It's also a contract year for him. Sucks he needs to be out for the year, but this gives him a shot to be 100% healthy for a 1-2 year incentive laden contract for higher than market average. And it'll likely not be with the 49ers.

It'll be interesting to see how the market treats him. It's his last shot at a big contract and he was 100% looking forward to his contract year. Easy decision for him.
Originally posted by FacePalm:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
First quarter? 2 runs,Lol. Soft as cotton.

It's true.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by GEEK:
It's also a contract year for him. Sucks he needs to be out for the year, but this gives him a shot to be 100% healthy for a 1-2 year incentive laden contract for higher than market average. And it'll likely not be with the 49ers.

It'll be interesting to see how the market treats him. It's his last shot at a big contract and he was 100% looking forward to his contract year. Easy decision for him.

Cap is going up significantly and as long as he has jet speed, he'll get a deal. But it'll likely be a multi-year deal with an option to cut him with minimal dead money after the first year.
Originally posted by dj43:
I have only two points: 1. Team doctors walk a thin line between the interests of the team and the interests of the player. That being given, it is likely the doctors gave Shanahan the best scenario for the team. Mostert's agent knows that bias and likely recommended a second opinion. 2. The second opinion advanced the possibility/probability of the chip not healing itself, thereby resulting in the decision to do surgery.

Hence, the idea that Mostert QUIT on the team has no basis. In fact, would argue the decision Mostert made was in the best interest of the team. Had he waited in the hope that 10 weeks would heal it, and it didn't, the team is stuck without him through the beginning of next season, assuming an injury settlement does not happen.

No basis? Ludicrous. He is a FA. He won't be with the team next year. He didn't think it was worth the risk to comeback for this team this year. He is already going to get paid for this season whether he comes back or not. He's going to take the rest of the year to get ready for his next team. And there will be a next team that signs him with a incentive laden contract, contrary to some here, that think teams will be scared away. The 220 yds against the Pack will have some team come knocking.
See my post just above about the bias of team doctors.

Yeah, I agree, they maybe biased on their outlook that favors the team. But, they also aren't going to be negligent and get sued for malpractice. If 8 week was an optimistic timeline, then surely return by week 16 or playoffs would be a realistic scenario. My Opinion, is he chose to rehab for his next payday. He already cashed in on the 49ers with his 4 plays.
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Sep 14, 2021 at 4:18 PM ]
Dee Ford was his financial advisor.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Dee Ford was his financial advisor.

Ha! Good one.
Remember this is he guy that said pay me or trade me. He was willing to walk out on he team if he didn't get a bump in raise. So, It's not out the realm of possibilities that he chose to save himself for his next payday when he is already getting this years pay from the Niners. He probably said, "why comeback?"
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Sep 14, 2021 at 4:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
No basis? Ludicrous. He is a FA. He won't be with the team next year. He didn't think it was worth the risk to comeback for this team this year. He is already going to get paid for this season whether he comes back or not. He's going to take the rest of the year to get ready for his next team. And there will be a next team that signs him with a incentive laden contract, contrary to some here, that think teams will be scared away. The 220 yds against the Pack will have some team come knocking.

Hasnt he been the fastest player with the ball in his hands for 2 yrs straight??

Dont hate on the man,...he played his hand well and now it's his time to collect. This will be his only shot at a major contract for his entire career.
Mostert chose not to rehab and comeback late this season, or at least playoffs, so that he can get 110% for another team in free agency?

Certainly sounds like he quit on this team, and took his guaranteed cash/cap space while doing so. He could've waited the 8-10 weeks to see if he can recover, then if not healed, taken the season ending surgery. But, he never even gave it a chance he just called it quits.

I regret ever defending this guy during his contract dispute.

I disagree with the criticism of opting for surgery. Chipped cartilage is rarely something that repairs itself. The chip just floats around in the joint, frequently landing in a spot that restricts movement and is very painful. Also, the remaining edge is usually jagged and sharp and needs trimming. That will never changed without surgery, and that takes time for recovery. Had he waited 8-10 weeks and still needed surgery, he would not have been available to us or anyone else until well into next summer.

Just bad luck...

The problem is that Shanny said just yesterday that he had a chip knee cartilage that would sideline him 8 weeks. So, Shanny had to talk to medical team about his situation. Unless Shanny is an MD and was able to diagnose him and came up with a timeline without consulting team doctors. I'm sure the Doctors factored in everything you said and still came up with that timeline.

Mostert did what what was best for himself going forward. He already got paid for this season and didnt want to risk future money(kind of how you alluded to in he bold).

Btw, No way he comes back to this team. He's goner. No way Shanny and Lynch re-sign him after quitting.

I have only two points: 1. Team doctors walk a thin line between the interests of the team and the interests of the player. That being given, it is likely the doctors gave Shanahan the best scenario for the team. Mostert's agent knows that bias and likely recommended a second opinion. 2. The second opinion advanced the possibility/probability of the chip not healing itself, thereby resulting in the decision to do surgery.

Hence, the idea that Mostert QUIT on the team has no basis. In fact, would argue the decision Mostert made was in the best interest of the team. Had he waited in the hope that 10 weeks would heal it, and it didn't, the team is stuck without him through the beginning of next season, assuming an injury settlement does not happen.

Im kinda confused about your argument about it being in the best interest for the team.Mostert is a free agent at the end of the year. The injury settlement doesn't apply because he does not have a contract and is not being cut. His contract expires. I personally don't think he would be back next season anyway healthy or not.

If he waits and it heals properly then niners have him for the final 6 games. Being on IR for the year doesn't seem to give the 49ers any advantage other than a roster spot.

I think the decision was made for his long-term health and free agency this coming off season. I dont hold a grudge against him but it definitely was not made to help the 49ers out.

• DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Originally posted by ltrain:
Well, he did look good for the 4 plays.

3.6 million for only four plays

He took the 49ers to the bank. He's basically taking a 2 month injury and packing his bags for the season. He basically just quit and went home. Should be banned from the team facility. Rehab somewhere else quitter.

I wouldn't give him a ring if we win it all.
Originally posted by random49er:
Hasnt he been the fastest player with the ball in his hands for 2 yrs straight??

Dont hate on the man,...he played his hand well and now it's his time to collect. This will be his only shot at a major contract for his entire career.

From his viewpoint it is the smart approach. It's too bad it comes at 9ers expense. I guess he will get the last laugh on the contract dispute.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
This is strange how he immediately decides to get surgery. I looked up this type of injury and they say it takes between 6 to 8 weeks to treat it without surgery. So why would he go the surgery route and just give up on returning at all this season when there was a chance he could return midway through the season?

he talked about it in his IG. he thinks he needs this surgery to keep this from happening and is opting to do it now then reinjure himself again after he comes back.

if i was in his shoe's i get it, as a fan of course i'm upset. but he's doing what he thinks is best for his future.

Wonder if Ronnie Lott has an opinion?

who care's what Ronnie Lott has to say. he made his choice, and Mostert made his, Ronnie has nothing do with Mostert.

Wonder what Frank Gore would have done?
Ha. Frank The Tank's had 1 interest since pop warner: running the football.

He's always been a superstar tho so it's not a fair comparison.
[ Edited by random49er on Sep 14, 2021 at 4:32 PM ]
Originally posted by JTB1974:
This is strange how he immediately decides to get surgery. I looked up this type of injury and they say it takes between 6 to 8 weeks to treat it without surgery. So why would he go the surgery route and just give up on returning at all this season when there was a chance he could return midway through the season?

he talked about it in his IG. he thinks he needs this surgery to keep this from happening and is opting to do it now then reinjure himself again after he comes back.

if i was in his shoe's i get it, as a fan of course i'm upset. but he's doing what he thinks is best for his future.

Wonder if Ronnie Lott has an opinion?

who care's what Ronnie Lott has to say. he made his choice, and Mostert made his, Ronnie has nothing do with Mostert.

Wonder what Frank Gore would have done?
Lasted more than 4 plays.
Share 49ersWebzone