There are 261 users in the forums

The Raheem "The joy of a dream" Mostert thread!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by FacePalm:
There's a clear difference between being "soft" vs sustaining an injury to prevents you from playing, requires surgery and eventually effecting your long term health. "Soft" is when you sustain a minor injury and are able to play through the pain but refuse to do so. The timing is unfortunate but by no means does this injury categorize Mostert as "soft".

An injury that prevents you from playing is an ACL tear like Jason Verrett suffered. Loose cartilage in the knee is a painful annoyance that generations of football players have played through. His election to clean it up with surgery in-season is something that many players do in the offseason, often with little fanfare. He is entitled to protect and preserve his body for free agency at the end of the year while collecting a year's salary for two rushes. Fans are entitled to say that is soft and selling out the team for his own goals. I think your assessment that this is the type of injury that can't be played on belies a hundred years of NFL history but, hey, this is the modern game and it's changed quite a lot.

Players have a lot more protection these days. Before, owners would run them until their cartilage was all gone, give them a pat on the back, give them some Robitussin and send them off to die slowly in pain.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Remember this is he guy that said pay me or trade me. He was willing to walk out on he team if he didn't get a bump in raise. So, It's not out the realm of possibilities that he chose to save himself for his next payday when he is already getting this years pay from the Niners. He probably said, "why comeback?"

I can't buy this take. He's played sparingly for 2 years now. That kind of availability doesn't scream big pay day. Running backs are hardly paid as it is. He'll likely be here or elsewhere on some one year prove it deal.
Originally posted by random49er:
Mostert wasn't drafted by any team actually.

Yeah but we find these bums or draft a lot of them. At least Ford decided to play at least a game this season lol. THANK YOU DEE!!!!!!!!
[ Edited by 49ersgoldme2021 on Sep 14, 2021 at 5:59 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Remember this is he guy that said pay me or trade me. He was willing to walk out on he team if he didn't get a bump in raise. So, It's not out the realm of possibilities that he chose to save himself for his next payday when he is already getting this years pay from the Niners. He probably said, "why comeback?"

I can't buy this take. He's played sparingly for 2 years now. That kind of availability doesn't scream big pay day. Running backs are hardly paid as it is. He'll likely be here or elsewhere on some one year prove it deal.

I'm not saying big pay day. But could be the difference between a 1m or not. After a full year off to rehab, some team will think they're getting a healthy (220 yards vs pack) Mostert.

This is all just my opinion.
Really too bad because Raheem put shannys outside Zone into another dimension. Mitchell was good yesterday but heem would have added easily 50 yards on exactly the same carries. He reads his breaks that well. Plus he's faster. If shanny hadn't roughed him up in the offseason for trying to land a better deal he probably would have been back by December. I don't mind Burning Bridges with Dante Pettis and Jalen Hurd but not Raheem
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Sep 14, 2021 at 6:09 PM ]
Delete
[ Edited by libertyforever on Sep 14, 2021 at 6:26 PM ]
He could have been great. 2k season great. He won't do anything once he has rehabbed and is clear. Just go surf. Wasting roster spot when healthy because it's not for long. Godspeed on your recovery and future endeavors. It's too bad, watching you run like a cheetah was truly a treat.
Originally posted by Force_Choke:
He could have been great. 2k season great. He won't do anything once he has rehabbed and is clear. Just go surf. Wasting roster spot when healthy because it's not for long. Godspeed on your recovery and future endeavors. It's too bad, watching you run like a cheetah was truly a treat.

All of this
Mitchell will have 1k yards and at least 10 tds.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Raheem's not soft, he's fragile. Either case, he's a wasted roster spot. We don't have time for this nonsense for a team built to win now.

Let him walk and be someone else's headache in 2022.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DrEll:
Raheem's not soft, he's fragile. Either case, he's a wasted roster spot. We don't have time for this nonsense for a team built to win now.

I think Mitchell, Hasty and Johnson will do a commendable job.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by DrEll:

I think Mitchell, Hasty and Johnson will do a commendable job.

Yes. I remember daddy Shanny's offenses in Denver back in the hay day. He was making street vendors into RB studs because the offense was dictated for RB success.

Kyle schemes the same way. Our RBs will be okay. Just wished we knew sooner (like on the off-season) so we could plan accordingly. How do you go down for the season after 2 plays ? And not even after a vicious hit or contact ?
Originally posted by Force_Choke:
The only way Raheem ever gets 2k rushing is behind a controller. He only plays when he's at 100% and if there's a little knick, he's out. 2k backs play B through things. Not this guy.

And I agree this guy will be surfing this season while his teammates are working towards a playoff.
[ Edited by mitpdub on Sep 14, 2021 at 7:15 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
See my post just above about the bias of team doctors.

Yeah, I agree, they maybe biased on their outlook that favors the team. But, they also aren't going to be negligent and get sued for malpractice. If 8 week was an optimistic timeline, then surely return by week 16 or playoffs would be a realistic scenario. My Opinion, is he chose to rehab for his next payday. He already cashed in on the 49ers with his 4 plays.

Even if he did all that, he is entitled to do what is in his own best interest just as the team will do what is in its best interest. It is a business deal. My only disagreement with you is in you calling him a quitter. That is over the top.
Originally posted by E-49er:
Mostert chose not to rehab and comeback late this season, or at least playoffs, so that he can get 110% for another team in free agency?

Certainly sounds like he quit on this team, and took his guaranteed cash/cap space while doing so. He could've waited the 8-10 weeks to see if he can recover, then if not healed, taken the season ending surgery. But, he never even gave it a chance he just called it quits.

I regret ever defending this guy during his contract dispute.

I disagree with the criticism of opting for surgery. Chipped cartilage is rarely something that repairs itself. The chip just floats around in the joint, frequently landing in a spot that restricts movement and is very painful. Also, the remaining edge is usually jagged and sharp and needs trimming. That will never changed without surgery, and that takes time for recovery. Had he waited 8-10 weeks and still needed surgery, he would not have been available to us or anyone else until well into next summer.

Just bad luck...

The problem is that Shanny said just yesterday that he had a chip knee cartilage that would sideline him 8 weeks. So, Shanny had to talk to medical team about his situation. Unless Shanny is an MD and was able to diagnose him and came up with a timeline without consulting team doctors. I'm sure the Doctors factored in everything you said and still came up with that timeline.

Mostert did what what was best for himself going forward. He already got paid for this season and didnt want to risk future money(kind of how you alluded to in he bold).

Btw, No way he comes back to this team. He's goner. No way Shanny and Lynch re-sign him after quitting.

I have only two points: 1. Team doctors walk a thin line between the interests of the team and the interests of the player. That being given, it is likely the doctors gave Shanahan the best scenario for the team. Mostert's agent knows that bias and likely recommended a second opinion. 2. The second opinion advanced the possibility/probability of the chip not healing itself, thereby resulting in the decision to do surgery.

Hence, the idea that Mostert QUIT on the team has no basis. In fact, would argue the decision Mostert made was in the best interest of the team. Had he waited in the hope that 10 weeks would heal it, and it didn't, the team is stuck without him through the beginning of next season, assuming an injury settlement does not happen.

Im kinda confused about your argument about it being in the best interest for the team.Mostert is a free agent at the end of the year. The injury settlement doesn't apply because he does not have a contract and is not being cut. His contract expires. I personally don't think he would be back next season anyway healthy or not.

If he waits and it heals properly then niners have him for the final 6 games. Being on IR for the year doesn't seem to give the 49ers any advantage other than a roster spot.

I think the decision was made for his long-term health and free agency this coming off season. I dont hold a grudge against him but it definitely was not made to help the 49ers out.

My point was that the team doctors were more likely to say he could be back this season than to recommend season-ending surgery. IOW, they are looking out for the financial interest of the team, stopping short of anything that could be considered malpractice.
Share 49ersWebzone