He wins the Super Bowl he'll be elite.

So by this logic, Dan Marino isn't.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by mayo49:
He wins the Super Bowl he'll be elite.

So by this logic, Dan Marino isn't.

So, another Super Bowl and then he's elite? How many has he got to win?
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 31, 2019 at 11:57 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerTy:
Ok. What does "elite" mean in this case? Who are the "elite" QB's in the league? Honestly I don't give a fat rats a$$ about Jimmy Gangsta being "elite". All I know is that when he gets the pill TD's follow. If that ain't "elite", too friggin' bad. The dude wins games and THAT IS WHAT MATTERS!!!
It's a little funny how the same argument is used over and over about Jimmy. Dude's a winner. That's all that matters. If you can't see that, then you're blind. Happy New Year!!!
[ Edited by PA49ersfan on Jan 1, 2020 at 7:11 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerTy:
Ok. What does "elite" mean in this case? Who are the "elite" QB's in the league? Honestly I don't give a fat rats a$$ about Jimmy Gangsta being "elite". All I know is that when he gets the pill TD's follow. If that ain't "elite", too friggin' bad. The dude wins games and THAT IS WHAT MATTERS!!!

Agreed.

Elite right now would have to include Mahomes, Lamar, Brees, and Wilson. Take a number of their throwing targets away, replace them with others, and they can still get it done.

Of course guys like Aaron Rodgers and Brady have been elite for years and can turn the light back on in a flash.

Players hovering around the cusp is where Jimmy comes in,...guys like him, Deshaun Watson, et. al.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
What was that idiot tweet by that Seattle reporter a couple days before the game that got a ton of likes again? Talked about how "bad" Jimmy was. Need to read it so I can laugh at it again.

It was something about how few of Jimmy's yards were "air yards"

Apparently only way to be a good QB is throwing 40+ yards in the air consistently.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Sorcery

I think this is an UGLY play and hope that the team to never use it again... this is one of those play where he gets into trouble when the initial target is covered.. We're lucky that there was NO zone blitz or else...

I can't let this go. This is one of those classic Kyle plays where the synchronous step left by OL and Qb, preceded by Au Jus sliding R to L, that is so clever it is just a joy to see. There is NO ugly in this play moon, and if you can't see that...then it's a shame how much great football you are obviously missing. Look a few more times until you see it. Classic kyle. Just plain old slick classic kyle. As for a possible ZONE blitz, this went off so fast that never would have materialized.

If you don't see this moon, you are missing some of the best football most of us have seen since GOAT BW. This was just a thing of beauty. Look again. Also that ball was gone way under 2 seconds, maybe even 1.5 sec. Zone blitz would never have gotten there.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jan 1, 2020 at 8:26 AM ]
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
He finally solidified himself as thee 49ers franchise QB!!!! No more questions!!!

I haven't questioned him since his first TD when he came in at the end of the game after CJ was hurt.

It was magic
I knew Jimmy G was real back then, too. If you saw him back in 2017 there never was a question. This wasn't like previous QB's who never had the skill set. Jimmy G has the skill set we were accustomed to in the glory days. Was just a matter of learning Kyle's system. Can't believe the Patriots traded him to us.
I won't get hung up over whether Jimmy is elite of not. As long as we win it doesn't make any difference. It's true that he isn't an elite deep pass thrower but he's gotten much more accurate on his short and intermediate throws as the season has progressed. His release is extremely quick. If he throws to Deebo or Kittle for 15 yards and they run for another 20 I'm fine with that. The result is the same. I think the deep (35-40+ yards in the air) passes will come next year.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Hes not elite according to mike golic. If he wins a title and he plays well, then he would be an elite qb

Not sure Golic's opinion has much value on this. A commentator ought to be able to assess a player on his plays, not on the team's results. Trent Dilfer won a title.

Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
He finally solidified himself as thee 49ers franchise QB!!!! No more questions!!!

I haven't questioned him since his first TD when he came in at the end of the game after CJ was hurt.

It was magic
I knew Jimmy G was real back then, too. If you saw him back in 2017 there never was a question. This wasn't like previous QB's who never had the skill set. Jimmy G has the skill set we were accustomed to in the glory days. Was just a matter of learning Kyle's system. Can't believe the Patriots traded him to us.

For me it was the TEN game. He didn't really know much of the offense and we were a bad team and they needed that game for playoff consideration. It was back and forth all game until the end when he has a perfect 2 min drill (like 1 min).
I can excuse people who didn't see Jimmy as an elite QB in his first dozen starts, but since then people who can't see it just don't know enough about the position and the game.

Jimmy is undoubtedly top 10, and an argument could be made for top 5.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Now is when his time with the Patriots will really pay off. Watching Brady for 3.5 years in countless big games is invaluable experience. As of this moment the only QB I would take over Jimmy is Mahomes. I would not trade him for any other quarterback in the league. Someone tell me I am wrong?

You are not wrong. I can't believe the Patriots traded him to us. How dumb was that?
Wouldn't it be great if the zone had a feature where fans who were calling for Mullens over JG lost their posting rights in QB discussions for a portion of the following year. It would be like a penalty box for them to sit in and reflect on how bad their analysis was. I would like this instituted for media as well. Guys like Steven A and Bayless would eventually be unable to participate in any football related discussion. Accountability. I can dream.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I won't get hung up over whether Jimmy is elite of not. As long as we win it doesn't make any difference. It's true that he isn't an elite deep pass thrower but he's gotten much more accurate on his short and intermediate throws as the season has progressed. His release is extremely quick. If he throws to Deebo or Kittle for 15 yards and they run for another 20 I'm fine with that. The result is the same. I think the deep (35-40+ yards in the air) passes will come next year.

Jimmy Garoppolo completed 56% of his deep passes, best among passers with 25+ such attempts.
Share 49ersWebzone