There are 371 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
One thing is certain to me.... Jimmy G needs a clean pocket to have pretty throws. If something gets out of place, the ball seems to flutter.

I really think this offense takes 4 steps forward if they can fix the darn oline. The difference in Jimmy Lasers and Jimmy Flutters is all about his feet.

Jimmy would be unstoppable with another top 20 guard and tackle.
Does he ever throw the ball away? It seems very rare.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
One thing is certain to me.... Jimmy G needs a clean pocket to have pretty throws. If something gets out of place, the ball seems to flutter.

I really think this offense takes 4 steps forward if they can fix the darn oline. The difference in Jimmy Lasers and Jimmy Flutters is all about his feet.

Jimmy would be unstoppable with another top 20 guard and tackle.

I noticed that too. That can affect the accuracy of a throw and the deeper the throw the more the accuracy will drop off. That may be why so many of his really deep passes tend to be short. He may be under pressure so he hurries the throw and doesn't get the tight spiral. I know when I watch Wilson, the ball has little or no wobble.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:

Not really. He's a gunslinger and is very aggressive with trying to keep the ball in play.
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
LOL at your list.. first you say you need to see more from jimmy g then you put Pat M & Lamar in there as elite when they have been doing it for how long?
Yea whatever!

Lol....u watched the same season I just watched??

After a certain point these guys aint getting lucky. They all have shown thry can play at an elite level RIGHT NOW,.... game after game,....given an off game here and there.

Take off the red and gold sunglasses every now and then.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 1, 2020 at 11:48 AM ]
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Not really. He's a gunslinger and is very aggressive with trying to keep the ball in play.

A lot of young QB's make that mistake. He'll learn like most do that throwing the ball away and having a 2nd and 10 or 3rd and 7 is better than 3rd and 17.

This,...along with his awareness on plays such as this presnap and minimizing the fumbles...is certainly the next step for him.

You get good rush on him and you can minimize the effectiveness of him at this point,...whereas with the 4 top QBs...they can find other ways to hurt you.

I cant sit here ans pretend like Ive seen the same out of Jimmy G should protection be a little weak. It can come with experience, though. Something I just didnt envision 10 games ago.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Unfortunately the media (ESPN) is going to show Lamar's runs, Mahommes crazy passes and Wilson scrambling and making a throw deep downfield. They're called highlights. They don't show every play, only the crazy, exciting ones so that's what most people, including writers see. Those aren't the plays Jimmy makes because Kyle has a diverse offense that almost always has somebody open. He doesn't call a lot of deep passes because they aren't high percentage passes. The media is only going to write about what they see all the time and unfortunately it's not Jimmy. More often than not, if Jimmy is involved in a big play it's to Kittle or Deebo and those guys get the ink.

This, we live in an NFL Redzone, Good morning football, and sportscenter world where people think the big plays are happening 90% of the time on other teams even though we had an offense better than almost every team in the league.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PuckFarag10:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by NinerTy:
Ok. What does "elite" mean in this case? Who are the "elite" QB's in the league? Honestly I don't give a fat rats a$$ about Jimmy Gangsta being "elite". All I know is that when he gets the pill TD's follow. If that ain't "elite", too friggin' bad. The dude wins games and THAT IS WHAT MATTERS!!!

Agreed.

Elite right now would have to include Mahomes, Lamar, Brees, and Wilson. Take a number of their throwing targets away, replace them with others, and they can still get it done.

Of course guys like Aaron Rodgers and Brady have been elite for years and can turn the light back on in a flash.

Players hovering around the cusp is where Jimmy comes in,...guys like him, Deshaun Watson, et. al.

LOL at your list.. first you say you need to see more from jimmy g then you put Pat M & Lamar in there as elite when they have been doing it for how long?
Yea whatever!

At least be consistent dude.

(Mind you, you have jimmy g coming back from major knee injury and lighting it up)
I'm not saying jimmy is elite but the dude gets s**t done in high pressure situations and that's all you can ask for.

Yes that list is hilarious. The fact the media is considering Lamar an elite QB is laughable. I'll grant it he's an elite ATHLETE, but that's it right now. Jimmy is an amazing QB, but Golic and Wingo's opinions not considering Jimmy G in the upper echelon of quarterbacks after the way he's been playing and who he's been beating doesn't mean squat as those two have been hating on the Jimmy hate train for a while.

Jimmy is a top 10 QB and will prove it in the postseason. The others on the list Brees is obviously a top 5 guy, but Tom is fading from his former glory. Mahomes is very good an is treated as elite by the media, but he should get the sample size treatment Jimmy gets as he's only been a starter 2 years. Mahomes also is a guy who gives f**k all about footwork, he's a show off in the middle of games with no look & jump passes, and he throws across the field off his back foot from time to time. He gets praised for these things because they look flashy and he gets away with it.

Two things: think you are being hard on Mahomes as those no look passes are always complete, as defender has no idea they were thrown until WR shows him the ball. Flashy , yes, but really effective.

2nd is re: Golic and what's his face re: Jimmy. They seem to forget he led this 20 yr loser of a team to league's best W/L record (Tied with 2 others), but also, took a team with no cohesion because 42 of or 45 guys weren't here 3 yrs ago....and got them to 13 Ws, a good part of which was due to league leading 50% of 3rd down conversions. Nobody else was even close. I guy and that was it. AVG was about 1/3 or 33% completions on 3rd down. Jimmy was a 3rd down machine. I don't recall Joe or Steve ever doing that..but then i am forgetful as i get older.

Originally posted by FL9er:

there are times that i think derek carr is awful and the raiders need to move on...but his numbers aren't that bad actually
Yea whatever!

Lol....u watched the same season I just watched??

After a certain point these guys aint getting lucky. They all have shown thry can play at an elite level RIGHT NOW,.... game after game,....given an off game here and there.

Take off the red and gold sunglasses every now and then.

Lol
Jimmy has shown he can play at an elite level to this year and the last 5 games of 2017. I don't have homer glasses on at all. I call it like I see it.
Kap was getting throw out as a top qb also with his running yards and his low td/int ratio. Let's go by your own qualifications and see how Lamar & Pat M & jimmy do in the next 5 years.
[ Edited by Jeepzilla on Jan 1, 2020 at 2:01 PM ]
Lol
Jimmy has shown he can play at an elite level to this year and the last 5 games of 2017. I don't have homer glasses on at all. I call it like I see it.
Kap was getting throw out as a top qb also with his running yards and his low td/int ratio. Let's go by your own qualifications and see how Lamar & Pat M & jimmy do in the next 5 years.

lamar is a way better passer than kaepernick ever was. let's see how is body holds up after taking all these hits though. i wouldn't count on him staying healthy.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by PuckFarag10:
Originally posted by NinerTy:
Ok. What does "elite" mean in this case? Who are the "elite" QB's in the league? Honestly I don't give a fat rats a$$ about Jimmy Gangsta being "elite". All I know is that when he gets the pill TD's follow. If that ain't "elite", too friggin' bad. The dude wins games and THAT IS WHAT MATTERS!!!

Agreed.

Elite right now would have to include Mahomes, Lamar, Brees, and Wilson. Take a number of their throwing targets away, replace them with others, and they can still get it done.

Of course guys like Aaron Rodgers and Brady have been elite for years and can turn the light back on in a flash.

Players hovering around the cusp is where Jimmy comes in,...guys like him, Deshaun Watson, et. al.

Yea whatever!

At least be consistent dude.

(Mind you, you have jimmy g coming back from major knee injury and lighting it up)
I'm not saying jimmy is elite but the dude gets s**t done in high pressure situations and that's all you can ask for.

Yes that list is hilarious. The fact the media is considering Lamar an elite QB is laughable. I'll grant it he's an elite ATHLETE, but that's it right now. Jimmy is an amazing QB, but Golic and Wingo's opinions not considering Jimmy G in the upper echelon of quarterbacks after the way he's been playing and who he's been beating doesn't mean squat as those two have been hating on the Jimmy hate train for a while.

Jimmy is a top 10 QB and will prove it in the postseason. The others on the list Brees is obviously a top 5 guy, but Tom is fading from his former glory. Mahomes is very good an is treated as elite by the media, but he should get the sample size treatment Jimmy gets as he's only been a starter 2 years. Mahomes also is a guy who gives f**k all about footwork, he's a show off in the middle of games with no look & jump passes, and he throws across the field off his back foot from time to time. He gets praised for these things because they look flashy and he gets away with it.

Two things: think you are being hard on Mahomes as those no look passes are always complete, as defender has no idea they were thrown until WR shows him the ball. Flashy , yes, but really effective.

2nd is re: Golic and what's his face re: Jimmy. They seem to forget he led this 20 yr loser of a team to league's best W/L record (Tied with 2 others), but also, took a team with no cohesion because 42 of or 45 guys weren't here 3 yrs ago....and got them to 13 Ws, a good part of which was due to league leading 50% of 3rd down conversions. Nobody else was even close. I guy and that was it. AVG was about 1/3 or 33% completions on 3rd down. Jimmy was a 3rd down machine. I don't recall Joe or Steve ever doing that..but then i am forgetful as i get older.

Are you refering to just Jimmy or the offense, as a whole, on 3rd down? The reason why I ask is that Jimmy was 50% on third down passing as he went 65/130. I'm not sure where the entire offense ranked in converting on 3rd down so perhaps the offense itself was also at 50%? If you are refering to just Jimmy than you are wrong. Cousins was 59/123 for 48%, Brees was 46.8% and Wilson was ranked 20th at 40.2%.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=098&type=Passing

Edit: Even if you were talking about total offense you are still wrong.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct
[ Edited by BigBossBosa97 on Jan 1, 2020 at 2:18 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by FL9er:

there are times that i think derek carr is awful and the raiders need to move on...but his numbers aren't that bad actually

And then there's this:
Share 49ersWebzone