There are 313 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by thl408:
Actually, if people want to compare Steve to Jimmy then have at it. This week is like the offseason so oh well.

Yea, beats having 30+ off weeks at this point lol.
The only valid comparison is how any player was viewed and how much he dominated in his era. Anything else is a joke. You can't compare an era when 2500 or 3000 yards was a good season to an era when a QB is expected to throw for 4000 if he wants to be called elite.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Jimmy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Garcia.

Best since Young and will overtake Young within five years.

Not sure about the second part but only time will tell.

This

Young was great but fu**ed up in the playoffs a lot and just didn't get it done. He was no Joe.

I should have prefaced it with if Jimmy wins the SB this year, he will overtake Young within five years. Let's see if Jimmy makes the costly mistakes Young did in the playoffs. Young was the greatest regular season qb of all time until P Manning took that title. Not great in the postseason outside of 94
It wasn't really Steve's fault, but Seifert's. When you trade your franchise edge rusher for peanuts, you end up in the poor house. That's what happened to Steve. He never really had a Fred Dean/Charles Haley for his entire career, unlike Joe and hopefully Jimmy - With Bosa, (and hopefully his brother Joey! )

It took Young a while to learn how to play the position and he had some costly mistakes in those first two Championship games against Dallas and so it is easy to put the blame on him for those losses. I will always be a Joe guy first and foremost but I will say for the record that if Young had played every year the way he played in 1994 he would have been hands down, the greatest QB in 49er history. He was absolutely terrific that year.

Originally posted by NYniner85:

I posted this on twitter but watching that video it reminded me what a big part of the offense Goodwin was earlier in the season. I'm sure most of us soured on him with the drops or his inability to stay on the field but imagine where our offense would be right now if he was healthy and actually able to catch the ball consistently?

One thing we're missing is that speed...

Hopefully we get it done without that speed and adding some for next year will make us even scarier on offense.
Originally posted by genus49:
I posted this on twitter but watching that video it reminded me what a big part of the offense Goodwin was earlier in the season. I'm sure most of us soured on him with the drops or his inability to stay on the field but imagine where our offense would be right now if he was healthy and actually able to catch the ball consistently?

One thing we're missing is that speed...

Hopefully we get it done without that speed and adding some for next year will make us even scarier on offense.

I'm a little surprised that Kyle hasn't used Mostert or Breida on downfield passes. I don't know how good their hands are but they sure as hell have the speed to clear out the mid level stuff. Quite a few teams do throw deep to their RB's with success. Maybe he's saving those for the playoffs.
Eh, the Young/Garoppolo stuff is premature. This isn't a discussion until Garoppolo wins a SB.
Originally posted by John_Candy:
Eh, the Young/Garoppolo stuff is premature. This isn't a discussion until Garoppolo wins a SB.

Not even then.
Originally posted by John_Candy:

Even if he won the superbowl... he isnt elite until he proves he can win a superbowl snapping to himself and throwing to himself 1 vs 11. Only then will he be in the conversation.
[ Edited by TheRickestRick on Jan 3, 2020 at 1:53 PM ]
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
I saw it live and I share, and have always shared, the opinion of Steve as a regular season QB. Now I respectfully bow out of this argument. I lived through it for many years, no reason to go through it again.

I saw Young's career too. He was a top 1-3 QB the entire time he was our starter, and he reached the mountain top and brought number 5 to the franchise. Thats all that matters. Anyone complaining about Young's career is a spoiled brat.

Originally posted by Niners99:
I saw it live and I share, and have always shared, the opinion of Steve as a regular season QB. Now I respectfully bow out of this argument. I lived through it for many years, no reason to go through it again.

I saw Young's career too. He was a top 1-3 QB the entire time he was our starter, and he reached the mountain top and brought number 5 to the franchise. Thats all that matters. Anyone complaining about Young's career is a spoiled brat.

This.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Not even then.

I know we have a big range in the age of the people on this forum. Some of you mentioned that you were too young to have seen Montana and Young and wanted to know where they could find complete game film from that era. I wish you could watch those games and then you would understand how different the game was played back then. I'm not just talking about the rules but the style of play was different. If you saw games from then and then watched todays games you would understand why a real comparison can never be made between Jimmy or any QB from today with guys that played 30 or 40 years ago. It's like trying to compare the CFL or the Arena League with the NFL. It's not better or worse it's just different.
Not even then.

I know we have a big range in the age of the people on this forum. Some of you mentioned that you were too young to have seen Montana and Young and wanted to know where they could find complete game film from that era. I wish you could watch those games and then you would understand how different the game was played back then. I'm not just talking about the rules but the style of play was different. If you saw games from then and then watched todays games you would understand why a real comparison can never be made between Jimmy or any QB from today with guys that played 30 or 40 years ago. It's like trying to compare the CFL or the Arena League with the NFL. It's not better or worse it's just different.

There's full games available on youtube, plenty of Montana and Young games. There was also this torrent site I used to download games from awhile ago, idk if it's still around but I wouldn't trust it since it made my laptop run like s**t after getting games from 97-98

Here's just one after a quick search

[ Edited by Aj_hwd954 on Jan 3, 2020 at 2:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:

I'm a SPOILED BRAT am I?
Originally posted by thl408:
Actually, if people want to compare Steve to Jimmy then have at it. This week is like the offseason so oh well.

So we can compare Kaep and Smith and Jimmy and it is ok right?
Share 49ersWebzone