49ers remain on losing side of Chiefs rivalry in 28-18 defeat →

There are 522 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Goatie:
So we can compare Kaep and Smith and Jimmy and it is ok right?

Perfect. They all played in the same era under pretty much the same conditions and rules.
Jimmy G is, without any sort of doubt, the best QB since Young in his first season starting.

We are fortunate to be done with the FQB search we've been on for 1/5 of the NFL's existence.
[ Edited by jonnydel on Jan 3, 2020 at 3:52 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Says the dude who was three fu**ing years old in 94 and an a toddler, and just nine years old by the time Young's run was done. Not to mention not living through the 80s and watching Montana. Young was great...super great...during the REGULAR SEASON. Outside of 94 he disappointed in the playoffs.

So three years old in 94...yeah you're going to have a solid perspective on Young. Whether my take has merit or not, your take is virtually worthless considering the above. There is a lot to criticize about Young's playoff performance as the 49ers qb.

Stupid logic. You don't have to witness something live to know all about it. Its called being a historian. Often times the people who study the past are even more knowledgeable than people who were around for it.

Steve Young won a Super Bowl, a SB MVP, two NFL MVP's, three first team All-Pro selections, 7 pro bowl selections, and was inducted into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot.

He ran into some elite Cowboys and Packers teams, and was always battling injuries. To dismiss his career because he didn't win the SB in every opportunity is ridiculous. With such high standards, surely you've achieved supreme greatness in life, right?

You are the one who only brought up his yards passing and TDs with no mention of his costly INTs and turnovers. It does help greatly to witness something. I can look at stats from the 60s and 70s but that is not going to tell the whole story esp if LIKE YOU I IGNORED INTS and only stated passing yards and TDs. Go back and watch those games. Young fu**ed up and made costly errors time and time again that Favre and Aikman were not making and that is why they won and not the 49ers. He doesn't make those mistakes and we are winning one or two more Super Bowls in the 90s with him. I was spoiled by the GOAT Montana and freely admit it. I held Young to a high standard of coming through in the biggest postseason games and winning at least a couple SBs. I don't dismiss his whole career. He was a hall of famer. He got one Super Bowl.

And he also disappointed in most of the biggest moments in his career in the postseason. One more Super Bowl and my perception of him is a lot different.

"To dismiss his career because he didn't win the SB in every opportunity is ridiculous."
This is absurd. "Every" opportunity...did I say that? He had 7 or 8 opportunities and came through only once. His costly mistakes directly led to those losses against GB and Dallas. I would have liked to see him win at least one more SB. But that's why he is not a top 5 QB of all time and more like in the top 15 or maybe back end of the top 10. Either way, regular season greatness and MVPs mean sh** to me. I want a QB who comes up back in the postseason CONSISTENTLY and wins the biggest of games. And Young did not. Historically speaking still a great QB but this is due to achievements unrelated to the postseason outside of one year and generally speaking, underwhelmed when it mattered most.

I hope Jimmy G is not the postseason Steve Young or we are only going to get one SB from him as well. If Jimmy has some Joe Montana in him, he will win at least a couple. My perception for now is that Jimmy has the clutch gene and we will see if he can win these games in the postseason when all is on the line.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
I saw it live and I share, and have always shared, the opinion of Steve as a regular season QB. Now I respectfully bow out of this argument. I lived through it for many years, no reason to go through it again.

I saw Young's career too. He was a top 1-3 QB the entire time he was our starter, and he reached the mountain top and brought number 5 to the franchise. Thats all that matters. Anyone complaining about Young's career is a spoiled brat.

Not in the postseason he wasnt a top 1-3 QB. And that's all I give a sh** about. Young was a regular season QB and a huge tease considering how great he really was DURING THE REGULAR SEASON. But I don't give a damn about the regular season.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Jimmy G is, without any sort of doubt, the best QB since Young in his first season starting.

We are fortunate to be done with the FQB search we've been on for 1/5 of the NFL's existence.

And this is only his first full season with Shanahan too.
I saw it live and I share, and have always shared, the opinion of Steve as a regular season QB. Now I respectfully bow out of this argument. I lived through it for many years, no reason to go through it again.

I saw Young's career too. He was a top 1-3 QB the entire time he was our starter, and he reached the mountain top and brought number 5 to the franchise. Thats all that matters. Anyone complaining about Young's career is a spoiled brat.

Not in the postseason he wasnt a top 1-3 QB. And that's all I give a sh** about. Young was a regular season QB and a huge tease considering how great he really was DURING THE REGULAR SEASON. But I don't give a damn about the regular season.

"Regular season QB" lol such a dumb post
It's safe for me to post what I'm about to post since it will no longer be a jinx!:

Before last weekend, QBs were something like 0-9 against Pete Carroll/Wilson Seahawks in their first prime time visit to Century Link.............

Now they are 1-9!!!

JAMESON!!!
lol they should be able to rule common words and phrases as public domain. Its weird that you can trademark a non-unique remark...

Just in case it hasnt been mentioned,...the reason they file for the trademark is so databases can legally be ran, and they afterwards will not legally be liable for using someone else's trademark.

This trademark will be denied, just as they expect. The wording that goes with that judgement will allow for anyone to use it, which is what they actually want.
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:

"Regular season QB" lol such a dumb post

From the 3-year old in 1994 who never watched every game Young played in the "regular season". Yes, Young was a regular season QB in the same mold as Peyton Manning. Young and Manning were the greatest regular season QBs in NFL history. That is me lavishing high praise on young for his regular season achievements. They were terrific. But he did not play at that level in the postseason, same as Manning. Young and Manning, despite their greatness, were the biggest teases and disappointments in the history of the NFL when it counted the most: the postseason.

Until you watch ALL games Young ever played between 1991 and 1999, regular season and postseason, your opinion is worthless and "dumb".
[ Edited by Ezekiel38 on Jan 3, 2020 at 4:49 PM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'm a little surprised that Kyle hasn't used Mostert or Breida on downfield passes.

Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Originally posted by John_Candy:
Eh, the Young/Garoppolo stuff is premature. This isn't a discussion until Garoppolo wins a SB.

Even if he won the superbowl... he isnt elite until he proves he can win a superbowl snapping to himself and throwing to himself 1 vs 11. Only then will he be in the conversation.

Oh boy.....talk about rushed conversations. Why cant more people enjoy the process?? It's fun to me seeing the kid grow while being successful at the same time....ups and downs along the way.

I'm having the time of my life praising this and criticizing that as we win. I understand everyone's not like me,....but why the need to force-finish out his career and put him next to all-time greats right away?

We have no clue whatsoever how Jimmy will be playing 2 years from now. If you cant legitimately say Jimmy belongs in the HOF right now (lol),...I just see it as wasted energy to work this angle. The potential to be more productive? In this pass happy league,....sure enough.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 3, 2020 at 4:58 PM ]
I know we have a big range in the age of the people on this forum. Some of you mentioned that you were too young to have seen Montana and Young and wanted to know where they could find complete game film from that era. I wish you could watch those games and then you would understand how different the game was played back then. I'm not just talking about the rules but the style of play was different. If you saw games from then and then watched todays games you would understand why a real comparison can never be made between Jimmy or any QB from today with guys that played 30 or 40 years ago. It's like trying to compare the CFL or the Arena League with the NFL. It's not better or worse it's just different.

Spot on,....I'm feeling really really old right about now. Drew Brees deserves all the credit he gets, no doubt, but give him the same style of play and rules from back then and he'd probably be a vegetable by now playing this long.

Kudos to them,...but the longevity he and Brady have sustained compared to former greats is no accident.
All ya need to do is google Leonard Marshall hit on Joe. That gets someone suspended today and probably changes a rule.

All the numbers being put up in this era are inflated.
Originally posted by random49er:
I know we have a big range in the age of the people on this forum. Some of you mentioned that you were too young to have seen Montana and Young and wanted to know where they could find complete game film from that era. I wish you could watch those games and then you would understand how different the game was played back then. I'm not just talking about the rules but the style of play was different. If you saw games from then and then watched todays games you would understand why a real comparison can never be made between Jimmy or any QB from today with guys that played 30 or 40 years ago. It's like trying to compare the CFL or the Arena League with the NFL. It's not better or worse it's just different.

Spot on,....I'm feeling really really old right about now. Drew Brees deserves all the credit he gets, no doubt, but give him the same style of play and rules from back then and he'd probably be a vegetable by now playing this long.

Kudos to them,...but the longevity he and Brady have sustained compared to former greats is no accident.

Too true. This is why I will ALWAYS consider Montana the greatest of all time.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
All ya need to do is google Leonard Marshall hit on Joe. That gets someone suspended today and probably changes a rule.

All the numbers being put up in this era are inflated.

That's why Montana is the GOAT and Brady isn't...
Share 49ersWebzone