49ers remain on losing side of Chiefs rivalry in 28-18 defeat →

There are 509 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I know we have a big range in the age of the people on this forum. Some of you mentioned that you were too young to have seen Montana and Young and wanted to know where they could find complete game film from that era. I wish you could watch those games and then you would understand how different the game was played back then. I'm not just talking about the rules but the style of play was different. If you saw games from then and then watched todays games you would understand why a real comparison can never be made between Jimmy or any QB from today with guys that played 30 or 40 years ago. It's like trying to compare the CFL or the Arena League with the NFL. It's not better or worse it's just different.

Spot on,....I'm feeling really really old right about now. Drew Brees deserves all the credit he gets, no doubt, but give him the same style of play and rules from back then and he'd probably be a vegetable by now playing this long.

Kudos to them,...but the longevity he and Brady have sustained compared to former greats is no accident.

Too true. This is why I will ALWAYS consider Montana the greatest of all time.
Me too. If I'm Biased or not, don't care. I would always take Montana over Brady any day. Just for me personally, there's no doubt in my mind. But back to Jimmy G. I love him as our FQB.
At least we are comparing him with Young and not those recent QB's we had, which i guess I should not mention else this thread get locked.
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
I saw it live and I share, and have always shared, the opinion of Steve as a regular season QB. Now I respectfully bow out of this argument. I lived through it for many years, no reason to go through it again.

I saw Young's career too. He was a top 1-3 QB the entire time he was our starter, and he reached the mountain top and brought number 5 to the franchise. Thats all that matters. Anyone complaining about Young's career is a spoiled brat.

Not in the postseason he wasnt a top 1-3 QB. And that's all I give a sh** about. Young was a regular season QB and a huge tease considering how great he really was DURING THE REGULAR SEASON. But I don't give a damn about the regular season.

"Regular season QB" lol such a dumb post

From the 3-year old in 1994 who never watched every game Young played in the "regular season". Yes, Young was a regular season QB in the same mold as Peyton Manning. Young and Manning were the greatest regular season QBs in NFL history. That is me lavishing high praise on young for his regular season achievements. They were terrific. But he did not play at that level in the postseason, same as Manning. Young and Manning, despite their greatness, were the biggest teases and disappointments in the history of the NFL when it counted the most: the postseason.

Until you watch ALL games Young ever played between 1991 and 1999, regular season and postseason, your opinion is worthless and "dumb".

Lol your whole "Your opinion doesn't matter because you didn't watch those games live" logic doesn't work , although I was far too young to remember most of Young's career, it's not very hard to get access to a lot of those old games, whether old vhs tapes that my uncle recorded, downloading tons of Niners games during the Young era onto my laptop using torrents. And nowadays a quick YouTube search will take you to alot of old 49ers games. Researching and watching old film has never been easier than it is in this generation, sorry old timer this isnt the 20th century. Like I said in a previous a thread. If you want to blame anyone for not winning more Super Bowls in the 90s,blame the FO for trading Charles Haley, and letting Ricky Watters walk in FA. Young had zero running game help after he left and it showed when they got upset by Green Bay and Young attempted 50+ passes, an NFL record at the time. They did bring in Garrison Hearst but he was never able to stay healthy for both playoff runs in 97 and 98. Would a "playoff QB" been able to win the super bowl despite being injured for most of the 96 season only to try to tough it out and play with broken ribs in the divisional round? You seem to think that Qb is the end all be all in the sport which is completely laughable. I bet you thought Montana was washed up after getting drilled by the Giants in 85 & 86 and shat the bed against the Vikings in 87 with arguably the greatest 49ers roster assembled

Anyone I've ever talked football with has the upmost respect for Young and never labeled him a playoff choker after SB29. But on the Webzone...he's a villain who stole Montana's job and is a disgrace, very weird
[ Edited by Aj_hwd954 on Jan 3, 2020 at 6:21 PM ]
Can't wait to watch Jimmy ball out in the playoffs... dude is calm under pressure, and will only keep getting better with his decision making.... we are fortunate to have him.. I have nightmares of the Tim Ratay, and O Sullivan days,,,,
Best 3rd down QB in the NFL this season.65/130=50%.nobody better when it matters most.
We have a superstar on our hands and nobody knows it yet.

Also 8.3 ypa and 27 Touchdowns,70% completion % All good for top 3.
Pretty elite numbers considering his clutch play down the stretch ,playing his first full season as a starter and coming of an acl.
[ Edited by Bellaleo on Jan 3, 2020 at 6:32 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
All ya need to do is google Leonard Marshall hit on Joe. That gets someone suspended today and probably changes a rule.

All the numbers being put up in this era are inflated.

Wasn't it Jim Burt in the playoff game who broke through and put him on a stretcher?

I also agree about Joe Montana being the GOAT. He was twice the athlete that Tom Brady is. He could actually dunk a basketball. A ballet dancer on the football field. It's really insulting to Joe to mention Brady in the same breath as Joe. It's a different game now. Especially relating to QBs. EOS.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Wasn't it Jim Burt in the playoff game who broke through and put him on a stretcher?

I also agree about Joe Montana being the GOAT. He was twice the athlete that Tom Brady is. He could actually dunk a basketball. A ballet dancer on the football field. It's really insulting to Joe to mention Brady in the same breath as Joe. It's a different game now. Especially relating to QBs. EOS.

People forget how mobile he was , he could do damage running when it was needed. If I'm naming an all time all pro team he's still my QB

HC Lombardi OC Walsh DC Belichick
[ Edited by Bellaleo on Jan 3, 2020 at 6:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

I also agree about Joe Montana being the GOAT. He was twice the athlete that Tom Brady is. He could actually dunk a basketball. A ballet dancer on the football field. It's really insulting to Joe to mention Brady in the same breath as Joe. It's a different game now. Especially relating to QBs. EOS

Exactly, nothing against Brady but it's two different games.
Originally posted by golfish:
Exactly, nothing against Brady but it's two different games.
If it wasn't for Joe Cool there would be no TB12
I saw it live and I share, and have always shared, the opinion of Steve as a regular season QB. Now I respectfully bow out of this argument. I lived through it for many years, no reason to go through it again.

I saw Young's career too. He was a top 1-3 QB the entire time he was our starter, and he reached the mountain top and brought number 5 to the franchise. Thats all that matters. Anyone complaining about Young's career is a spoiled brat.

Not in the postseason he wasnt a top 1-3 QB. And that's all I give a sh** about. Young was a regular season QB and a huge tease considering how great he really was DURING THE REGULAR SEASON. But I don't give a damn about the regular season.

From the 3-year old in 1994 who never watched every game Young played in the "regular season". Yes, Young was a regular season QB in the same mold as Peyton Manning. Young and Manning were the greatest regular season QBs in NFL history. That is me lavishing high praise on young for his regular season achievements. They were terrific. But he did not play at that level in the postseason, same as Manning. Young and Manning, despite their greatness, were the biggest teases and disappointments in the history of the NFL when it counted the most: the postseason.

Until you watch ALL games Young ever played between 1991 and 1999, regular season and postseason, your opinion is worthless and "dumb".

Lol your whole "Your opinion doesn't matter because you didn't watch those games live" logic doesn't work , although I was far too young to remember most of Young's career, it's not very hard to get access to a lot of those old games, whether old vhs tapes that my uncle recorded, downloading tons of Niners games during the Young era onto my laptop using torrents. And nowadays a quick YouTube search will take you to alot of old 49ers games. Researching and watching old film has never been easier than it is in this generation, sorry old timer this isnt the 20th century. Like I said in a previous a thread. If you want to blame anyone for not winning more Super Bowls in the 90s,blame the FO for trading Charles Haley, and letting Ricky Watters walk in FA. Young had zero running game help after he left and it showed when they got upset by Green Bay and Young attempted 50+ passes, an NFL record at the time. They did bring in Garrison Hearst but he was never able to stay healthy for both playoff runs in 97 and 98. Would a "playoff QB" been able to win the super bowl despite being injured for most of the 96 season only to try to tough it out and play with broken ribs in the divisional round? You seem to think that Qb is the end all be all in the sport which is completely laughable. I bet you thought Montana was washed up after getting drilled by the Giants in 85 & 86 and shat the bed against the Vikings in 87 with arguably the greatest 49ers roster assembled

Anyone I've ever talked football with has the upmost respect for Young and never labeled him a playoff choker after SB29. But on the Webzone...he's a villain who stole Montana's job and is a disgrace, very weird

Young certainly was no villain. And he was a 49er great.

But Ezekiel also has a point. You cannot get a feel for the game of the time by watching uTube clips. You have to be in the moment. There is no doubt that Steve Young took up the torch that had been lit by Joe and those before. He played with a well oiled organization that knew how, was capable of, and was expected to win championships. He did win one, perhaps they should have won more. IMO if he had been of Joe's caliber, Joe in his prime, they would have. But he was IMO outplayed in the post season by Aikman. I don't think that he put the team on his back and carried them to the SuperBowl. The team that he won with had probably the greatest assemblage of talent seen on one team. And a lot of things went their way also.

For example, I sincerely don't think that the team would have won it's first Super bowl if Young was quarterbacking that team. That was all Joe. Steve never showed that level of ability. But I don't mean to slight him. I liked him and am glad that the team had him take over after Joe. But he was no Joe in his prime.

As for Garoppolo; How can you not like the guy's grit and cool? Doesn't look like the pressure of the moment ever overwhelms him. He continues to get better by the game. I think that this last game was his best. I'm anxious to see if he can continue the trend and show improvement throughout the playoffs.
Niners are fortunate to have him.

I have respect for Young...however I vividly remember many costly errors Young made year after year exceot for 1994 in the playoffs. Montana won four Super Bowls. Four. He came through when it mattered most much more often and 49ers fan were used to having a qb who did this. Yes we were spoiled of course with Montana...the GOAT. I didnt expect Young to win four SBs but we had teams that could have won more than 1 SB in the 90s if Young didnt make costly mistakes. He wasnt a choker in the way I dont think P Manning was a choker, but made costly errors that cost us playoff games. Playoff games. As in the games that end seasons.

Young was great. But he wasn't great in the postseason overall except for one year. Watch the games start to finish since there is such easy access. This doesnt mean you have actually sat and watched all those playoff games start to finish. If you had you would understand my frustration with Young, one of the two greatest regular season qbs of all time, who couldnt match that level in the postseason. We had more Super Bowl teams in the 90s than just one if Young didnt make those errors.

I suppose I should be grateful for the single Lombardi he won. I am grateful. But that doesnt mean Im not going to call out his decade filled with playoff losses and many on his mistakes. If he wins at least two or more he gets a pass for other years just like Montana does. Cant win it every year. But if not for Young's errors we would have won it more than just one year in the 90s. We had great teams just like Dallas and GB. Young plays up to his regular season level in those games and he prob wins three SBs, and that is what is so frustrating after of course the year over year pain his mistakes caused the fans in the playoffs.

And that pain caused almost a decades worth of scars that one SB cannot make up for.
[ Edited by Ezekiel38 on Jan 3, 2020 at 7:48 PM ]

Lol your whole "Your opinion doesn't matter because you didn't watch those games live" logic doesn't work , although I was far too young to remember most of Young's career, it's not very hard to get access to a lot of those old games, whether old vhs tapes that my uncle recorded, downloading tons of Niners games during the Young era onto my laptop using torrents. And nowadays a quick YouTube search will take you to alot of old 49ers games.

Lol come on now youngen. You from Broward btw? I grew up there watching guys like Montana and Young.

I wasnt alive in the 60's or 70's,...and I'll readily admit that no matter how many old grainy vcr tapes I watch,...I simply cannot relate to that brand of football the way older football fans are able to. Unlike you, I dont mind this and will open my eyes and ears and listen up.

These older guys heard the week to week, year to year stuff that you will never hear or experience, no matter the technology. They then were able to witness the advancement of the game, year by year. Sorry man, you just cant relate if you're watching and hearing about what's going on now while watching old stuff @ the same time.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 3, 2020 at 7:50 PM ]
I have respect for Young...however I vividly remember many costly errors Young made year after year exceot for 1994 in the playoffs. Montana won four Super Bowls. Four. He came through when it mattered most much more often and 49ers fan were used to having a qb who did this. Yes we were spoiled of course with Montana...the GOAT. I didnt expect Young to win four SBs but we had teams that could have won more than 1 SB in the 90s if Young didnt make costly mistakes. He wasnt a choker in the way I dont think P Manning was a choker, but made costly errors that cost us playoff games. Playoff games. As in the games that end seasons.

Young was great. But he wasn't great in the postseason overall except for one year. Watch the games start to finish since there is such easy access. This doesnt mean you have actually sat and watched all those playoff games start to finish. If you had you would understand my frustration with Young, one of the two greatest regular season qbs of all time, who couldnt match that level in the postseason. We had more Super Bowl teams in the 90s than just one if Young didnt make those errors.

I suppose I should be grateful for the single Lombardi he won. I am grateful. But that doesnt mean Im not going to call out his decade filled with playoff losses and many on his mistakes. If he wins at least two or more he gets a pass for other years just like Montana does. Cant win it every year. But if not for Young's errors we would have won it more than just one year in the 90s. We had great teams just like Dallas and GB. Young plays up to his regular season level in those games and he prob wins three SBs, and that is what is so frustrating after of course the year over year pain his mistakes caused the fans in the playoffs.

I agree with all of this. But you can't blame Young for Craig fumbling in 90 and Hearst breaking his leg on the first drive, could have easily been 3 chips for young.
Also cant blame him for the concussions that ended his career early,...or being stuck behind another All-Time great QB. So given the limited years and patchwork Oline, Young was phenomenal.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 3, 2020 at 7:51 PM ]
Originally posted by random49er:
Also cant blame him for the concussions that ended his career early,...or being stuck behind another All-Time great QB. So given the limited years and patchwork Oline, Young was phenomenal.

This.
Share 49ersWebzone