There are 691 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by random49er:
Also cant blame him for the concussions that ended his career early,...or being stuck behind another All-Time great QB. So given the limited years and patchwork Oline, Young was phenomenal.

Young is an NFL legend best running/passing QB ever? Also 1 of only 2 lefties who were ever any good really. Best lefty of all time✌️Hall of famer and a champion , enough said.

Joe Cool will always be my guy though. GOAT
[ Edited by Bellaleo on Jan 3, 2020 at 7:58 PM ]
  • Jaci
  • Veteran
Remember when Kaepernick was throwing bricks through open receivers hands? And Captain Checkdown was at the line on 3rd and 9?

...just wanting to remind everyone how far we have come.
[ Edited by Jaci on Jan 3, 2020 at 8:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
You are the one who only brought up his yards passing and TDs with no mention of his costly INTs and turnovers. It does help greatly to witness something. I can look at stats from the 60s and 70s but that is not going to tell the whole story esp if LIKE YOU I IGNORED INTS and only stated passing yards and TDs. Go back and watch those games. Young fu**ed up and made costly errors time and time again that Favre and Aikman were not making and that is why they won and not the 49ers. He doesn't make those mistakes and we are winning one or two more Super Bowls in the 90s with him. I was spoiled by the GOAT Montana and freely admit it. I held Young to a high standard of coming through in the biggest postseason games and winning at least a couple SBs. I don't dismiss his whole career. He was a hall of famer. He got one Super Bowl.

And he also disappointed in most of the biggest moments in his career in the postseason. One more Super Bowl and my perception of him is a lot different.

"To dismiss his career because he didn't win the SB in every opportunity is ridiculous."
This is absurd. "Every" opportunity...did I say that? He had 7 or 8 opportunities and came through only once. His costly mistakes directly led to those losses against GB and Dallas. I would have liked to see him win at least one more SB. But that's why he is not a top 5 QB of all time and more like in the top 15 or maybe back end of the top 10. Either way, regular season greatness and MVPs mean sh** to me. I want a QB who comes up back in the postseason CONSISTENTLY and wins the biggest of games. And Young did not. Historically speaking still a great QB but this is due to achievements unrelated to the postseason outside of one year and generally speaking, underwhelmed when it mattered most.

I hope Jimmy G is not the postseason Steve Young or we are only going to get one SB from him as well. If Jimmy has some Joe Montana in him, he will win at least a couple. My perception for now is that Jimmy has the clutch gene and we will see if he can win these games in the postseason when all is on the line.

You're a great example of why people dont like Niner fans. The arrogance of saying "one Super Bowl is not enough". What do you do for a living? Hopefully you've maintained the standard of being the best in the world for an extended period of time with an attitude like that.

I would be BEYOND thrilled if Garoppolo ONLY got us one SB. You sound completely ridiculous and out of touch.
I will chime in for youngs defense. When young took over for joe, many branches of the walsh coaching tree had branched out. And seifert had taken over which likely hampered the offense.

But with so many of the coaches dispersed around the league teams knew a lot of the checks and audibles.
Originally posted by Niners99:
You're a great example of why people dont like Niner fans. The arrogance of saying "one Super Bowl is not enough". What do you do for a living? Hopefully you've maintained the standard of being the best in the world for an extended period of time with an attitude like that.

I would be BEYOND thrilled if Garoppolo ONLY got us one SB. You sound completely ridiculous and out of touch.
Also i would not ssy he had 7 or 8 chances. I would say he had 2 maybe 3. Derek loville and terry kirby threatened no one. 92-93-94. He lost to a stacked team(dallas) in 92 and 93. Won in 94, then the FO let ricky walk, deion went to dallas

95 derek lovillel. Lose to the mike holmgren lead packers.

96 terry kirby, lose to the holmgren lead packers.

97 jerry goes down, lose to the holmgren lead packers.

98 this was the year, TO, jerry, stokes, hearst, and a lackluster defense that lost its mvp (BY broken leg) then lost hearst.

It's a good year when people are arguing about how well or not well Young played in a Jimmy G thread as we kill time waiting for the next 49er game after the bye week...

Cheers
Originally posted by NewEraNiner16:
It's a good year when people are arguing about how well or not well Young played in a Jimmy G thread as we kill time waiting for the next 49er game after the bye week...

Cheers

Yep. It is really nice having a QB you trust and believe c as n mske a play. AAlso i have trust the backup can come in for a series or 2 and do well.
What the hell happened to this thread?
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
You are the one who only brought up his yards passing and TDs with no mention of his costly INTs and turnovers. It does help greatly to witness something. I can look at stats from the 60s and 70s but that is not going to tell the whole story esp if LIKE YOU I IGNORED INTS and only stated passing yards and TDs. Go back and watch those games. Young fu**ed up and made costly errors time and time again that Favre and Aikman were not making and that is why they won and not the 49ers. He doesn't make those mistakes and we are winning one or two more Super Bowls in the 90s with him. I was spoiled by the GOAT Montana and freely admit it. I held Young to a high standard of coming through in the biggest postseason games and winning at least a couple SBs. I don't dismiss his whole career. He was a hall of famer. He got one Super Bowl.

And he also disappointed in most of the biggest moments in his career in the postseason. One more Super Bowl and my perception of him is a lot different.

"To dismiss his career because he didn't win the SB in every opportunity is ridiculous."
This is absurd. "Every" opportunity...did I say that? He had 7 or 8 opportunities and came through only once. His costly mistakes directly led to those losses against GB and Dallas. I would have liked to see him win at least one more SB. But that's why he is not a top 5 QB of all time and more like in the top 15 or maybe back end of the top 10. Either way, regular season greatness and MVPs mean sh** to me. I want a QB who comes up back in the postseason CONSISTENTLY and wins the biggest of games. And Young did not. Historically speaking still a great QB but this is due to achievements unrelated to the postseason outside of one year and generally speaking, underwhelmed when it mattered most.

I hope Jimmy G is not the postseason Steve Young or we are only going to get one SB from him as well. If Jimmy has some Joe Montana in him, he will win at least a couple. My perception for now is that Jimmy has the clutch gene and we will see if he can win these games in the postseason when all is on the line.

Young was SO GREAT in the regular season that one SB was a disappointment as he did not play nearly as well in the postseason. If he did we win two or three SBs w Young. My disappointment is BECAUSE Young performed so well in the regular season. If Jimmy ever starts doing that I'll be disappointed in only one SB. For now Im with you and would be thrilled with one SB.

I may sound out of touch but you sound biased as fu** leaving out Young's picks and turnovers in the Dallas games and only pointing out yardage and TDs.
  • thl408
This thread is for Jimmy G.

Talk about Steve Young in the 49ers vs Seahawks game thread because that thread has served its purpose. Keep this thread for the current QB.

Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by NewEraNiner16:

Cheers

Yep. It is really nice having a QB you trust and believe c as n mske a play. AAlso i have trust the backup can come in for a series or 2 and do well.
I'd rather not Mullens come in at all tbh. If he's in that would have to mean something happened to Jimmy G. None of us want that (knock on wood), and especially right now in the postseason where the games mean everything. We need to have Jimmy behind center and slinging the rock.
Originally posted by Bellaleo:
Originally posted by golfish:
Exactly, nothing against Brady but it's two different games.
If it wasn't for Joe Cool there would be no TB12

Wait! Are you saying what I think your saying? Joe is baby's daddy
I'm one of those 'older guys' that sat thru those games every week . I was at every game during that historic era from 1981-1994. I liked both Young and Montana but I would pick Joe simply because he was the QB that led us out of the basement to the penthouse. Joe made plenty of mistakes during his time just like Steve did but he always came up big in the clutch. He threw several INT's in the 1982 NFC championship against Dallas but came back to win. Mistakes happen but what you do after is really important. To me, that's one of Jimmy's best attributes.
Jimmy's regular season record is outstanding, but the slate is wiped clean for the playoffs.

Previous 49er QB Playoff Record
Kaepernick: 4-2
Smith: 1-1
Garcia: 1-2
Young: 8-6
Montana: 16-7

Time for Jimmy to start catching up
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Jimmy's regular season record is outstanding, but the slate is wiped clean for the playoffs.

Previous 49er QB Playoff Record
Kaepernick: 4-2
Smith: 1-1
Garcia: 1-2
Young: 8-6
Montana: 16-7

Time for Jimmy to start catching up

3-0 is a good start.
Share 49ersWebzone