49ers remain on losing side of Chiefs rivalry in 28-18 defeat →

There are 502 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Remember when Jimmy threw the ball into the stands after the Toots game? A 49ers couple caught it and the one dude pushed a Toots fan over in order to catch it.

Garoppolo had the ball in his hands as the final nine seconds ran off the clock. He figured he'd just hand the ball back to referee Tony Corrente. He waited 15 seconds after the clock ran out before acting.

"I looked for the ref initially, but no one was around me," Garoppolo said. "So I was like ... I'm just going to throw this thing."

As soon as Garoppolo let it fly, he turned to 49ers staff member Mike Chasanoff, who handed Garoppolo a black 49ers beanie to wear during his postgame interview on the field with Michele Tafoya of NBC Sports. Garoppolo did not follow the flight of the ball to see what happened.

Meanwhile, in Section 105, Row Y ...

"I was actually on my phone and I didn't even know what was happening," Pinelli said on The 49ers Insider Podcast. "I was texting my friends, saying how awesome the game was. And a bunch of Seahawks fans had their backs to field, walking up.

"I looked up from my phone to see the ball just coming towards me, like a row over. So once I saw it, I got into the aisle, and I had to push a Seahawks fan over and I jumped on the ball."

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-connects-49ers-fan-souvenir-seahawks-win
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I think it's the playoffs and he needs to come through big time. Minnesota isn't a team to take lightly. They some really good talent.

It's the playoffs - never under estimate your opponent. I'm sure saints fans where already booking their travel to green bay before the Minnesota game.

Even though it was over 30 years ago, I remember the horrible feeling walking out of the Stick after the Vikings with Anthony Carter and Wade Wilson at QB upset the Niners. Listening to all those Vikings fans celebrating on the way to the car was torture. Wade Wilson folks beat the Niners at home in the playoffs. The 13 win Niners with Montana, Rice, Craig, Rathman and a great O line. We had Michael Carter and Board on the line. The DB's were Lott, Jeff Fuller, Mckyer and Griffin. That was a great team and we lost to an 8 win Vikings team that had no business being on the same field with these guys.

Final score: Vikings win 36-24.

Never underestimate a team in the playoffs.

I think you're guilty of underestimating the 49ers.

If they overlook the Vikings, sure they will likely lose. But do you really think this team is overlooking anybody in the playoffs?

On paper the Niners are the better team, so if they play to their ability the outcome shouldn't really be in doubt.

I kinda feel bad for you if you're predicting the Niners lose...tough to be a fan with that approach.
Originally posted by trogdor:

If they overlook the Vikings, sure they will likely lose. But do you really think this team is overlooking anybody in the playoffs?

On paper the Niners are the better team, so if they play to their ability the outcome shouldn't really be in doubt.

I kinda feel bad for you if you're predicting the Niners lose...tough to be a fan with that approach.

Actually, on paper, the Vikings are the better team.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Actually, on paper, the Vikings are the better team.

Paper being stats/rankings. So yes, the 49ers are better

Where did I predict a loss? I was just letting the fans know that they shouldn't be over confident because the letdown can be horrible. That 1987 team was better than our current team and the Vikings probably weren't as good as this Vikings team. Players are better at not under estimating teams than fans are but it can and does happen to them too. That's how superior teams get upset. Sometimes they are looking ahead like we could be to the Seahawks. I certainly hope they aren't.

Where did I predict a loss? I was just letting the fans know that they shouldn't be over confident because the letdown can be horrible. That 1987 team was better than our current team and the Vikings probably weren't as good as this Vikings team. Players are better at not under estimating teams than fans are but it can and does happen to them too. That's how superior teams get upset. Sometimes they are looking ahead like we could be to the Seahawks. I certainly hope they aren't.

I haven't seen any evidence of the players, HO or Shanahan getting over confident at any time this season. Nor have they under estimated an opponent. Over confidence has never been a thing with this team. It is even rare with the fan base. If anything with the fan base it is overly pessimistic as can be seen on this fan site with a lot of people with high anxiety.

But dude, that was 30 years ago. I think people on here are too pessimistic. Why not roll into the game with confidence? Especially when our team is the #1 seed, playing the hardest schedule bar none in the NFL. Coming out 13-3. Lost all our games by a total of what, 13 points combined.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Remember when Jimmy threw the ball into the stands after the Toots game? A 49ers couple caught it and the one dude pushed a Toots fan over in order to catch it.

Garoppolo had the ball in his hands as the final nine seconds ran off the clock. He figured he'd just hand the ball back to referee Tony Corrente. He waited 15 seconds after the clock ran out before acting.

"I looked for the ref initially, but no one was around me," Garoppolo said. "So I was like ... I'm just going to throw this thing."

As soon as Garoppolo let it fly, he turned to 49ers staff member Mike Chasanoff, who handed Garoppolo a black 49ers beanie to wear during his postgame interview on the field with Michele Tafoya of NBC Sports. Garoppolo did not follow the flight of the ball to see what happened.

"I was actually on my phone and I didn't even know what was happening," Pinelli said on The 49ers Insider Podcast. "I was texting my friends, saying how awesome the game was. And a bunch of Seahawks fans had their backs to field, walking up.

"I looked up from my phone to see the ball just coming towards me, like a row over. So once I saw it, I got into the aisle, and I had to push a Seahawks fan over and I jumped on the ball."

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-connects-49ers-fan-souvenir-seahawks-win

Wow sign this fan right now, he's got more guts than Pettis.
Originally posted by aQBnamedtouchback:
But dude, that was 30 years ago. I think people on here are too pessimistic. Why not roll into the game with confidence? Especially when our team is the #1 seed, playing the hardest schedule bar none in the NFL. Coming out 13-3. Lost all our games by a total of what, 13 points combined.

I'm mostly addressing the fans that are predicting a blowout win. As I said, it's the fans that tend to do this more than the players but they can look ahead too, especially when they could be playing their rival for the 3rd time this year. This a better Vikings team than some fans are giving them credit for. The fact that that happened 30 years ago is irrelevant> Upsets can still happen and that was a much bigger upset at that time than this would be. We were a 2 time SB champion and would win the next 2 years. I'm sure the memory of that upset helped propel those teams to victory.

I'm mostly addressing the fans that are predicting a blowout win. As I said, it's the fans that tend to do this more than the players but they can look ahead too, especially when they could be playing their rival for the 3rd time this year. This a better Vikings team than some fans are giving them credit for. The fact that that happened 30 years ago is irrelevant> Upsets can still happen and that was a much bigger upset at that time than this would be. We were a 2 time SB champion and would win the next 2 years. I'm sure the memory of that upset helped propel those teams to victory.

It's a really good Vikings team. I expect a close victory and in reality, they are probably the best actual team left besides us in the NFC (Seattle plays us tough, but I cant see them as better than Minnesota). Im hoping bad Cousins shows up so we don't have to sweat bullets.

Now he's been fined by the league over $7000 for doing it. He got fined for that? Wow NFL don't get your damn panties all twisted in a bunch. The result of his actions ended up in something good so go make him pay 7k for making a football fan just a little happier. The NFL no fun league. If there's a sports Gestapo this is it.

Is 28-3 a blowout? That's my prediction.
Originally posted by ninerjok:

Now he's been fined by the league over $7000 for doing it. He got fined for that? Wow NFL don't get your damn panties all twisted in a bunch. The result of his actions ended up in something good so go make him pay 7k for making a football fan just a little happier. The NFL no fun league. If there's a sports Gestapo this is it.

I'm pretty sure they implemented this rule to avoid the occasional low-light of a fan who is not paying attention getting belted in the face by a ball (baseball, basketball). God forbid a toddler take a football to the head because mommy and daddy are on their phones.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
It's a really good Vikings team. I expect a close victory and in reality, they are probably the best actual team left besides us in the NFC (Seattle plays us tough, but I cant see them as better than Minnesota). Im hoping bad Cousins shows up so we don't have to sweat bullets.

I agree with this. Cousins tends to be hot and cold so hopefully he'll be the cold one on Saturday. I also agree that the Vikings have a better team overall than Seattle. The only thing that makes Seattle a threat is Wilson.

That is an awesome souvenir no doubt. Especially if he can get it autographed by Jimmy G with a picture
Share 49ersWebzone