There are 407 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Jimmy's not a top tier QB, imo. 2 tier top game manager.

He's already proved he can win games by carrying the team if need be. Not every game is gonna be the Jimmy G show.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by PuckFarag10:

That's hilarious. Jimmy has all the tools to be a top shelf QB, and has shown that capability to us multiple times. Just stop, you're trying way too hard.

He was definitely being sarcastic.

No I wasn't. There are probably 8 or 10 QBs I would take over him. That's not bad. He's good, but I think he's heavily reliant on KS. Again, not a dis.

Let's see...8 or 10 QBs you would take over JG, the king of 3rd down conversions, with a 50% mark, highest in the league. What does that imply? Simply it means when the chips are down and you need your QB to come thru for you, JimmyG is your guy. There were a couple others at 48 and 46 , but only 1 was 50% on 3rd down convversions. That tells us when it is gut check time, that is THE guy you want on your side.

Also, the guy has no desire to be the center of it all. He is humble, like so many other of our guys. He is hard working, he is smart, and he has memorized kyle's Playbook early on. If he had a massive ego he would be spouting off as to why he didn't have 22 for 28 in passes yesterday, or whatever else the high profile QBs want. JimmyG isn't that way and is that ever nice. He wants to win. He cares most about winning and least about what his stats look like. A lot of QBs in the league just can't do that. Yet for Jimmy, it just makes sense...good sense, because that means we are going to win.

He rarely gets rattled, he has intent in his eyes that makes the O want to follow him to hell and back. The guys believe in him because they know he can do it. We are incredibly lucky our team isn't out there.advertising their stats and bringing the focus onto them and not the team. Nowadays, that is a rarity. Humility is his middle name, and he is just one of the guys. But when you need your QB to come thru, to date he has done just exactly that. He puts TEAM before all else as do so many other of our guys. Look at Arik, Buck, Dee, KWON, Bosa, 3 RBs, Au Jus, 3 WRs, Kittle and dwelley, joe and McG, Tomlinson, person...i mean, man we got an entire team of humble , high class guys.

We are fortunate, very fortunate. But if you ask them who is the undisputed leader, they all will tell you it is Jimmy G.

I'm sure you rate some QBs above JG , but really...is there someone else you would rather have? Not I.
Originally posted by Alfienator:

That's hilarious. Jimmy has all the tools to be a top shelf QB, and has shown that capability to us multiple times. Just stop, you're trying way too hard.

No I wasn't. There are probably 8 or 10 QBs I would take over him. That's not bad. He's good, but I think he's heavily reliant on KS. Again, not a dis.

I think he made 4 winning drives and went toe for toe with Drew Brees. That doesn't sound like a game manager.

Sure it does. He just executes Kyle's brilliant scheme. That's all I mean by game manager. He understands what Kyle wants and works in the scheme. He's not elusive or very good at improv don't think he would do well on a team like the Seahawks or even Greenbay, where the QB is asked to compensate for a lot of weekness

He's a pocket passer not a squirrel like Wilson and he doesn't have to improv if he's executing the plays majority of the time.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Let's see...8 or 10 QBs you would take over JG, the king of 3rd down conversions, with a 50% mark, highest in the league. What does that imply? Simply it means when the chips are down and you need your QB to come thru for you, JimmyG is your guy. There were a couple others at 48 and 46 , but only 1 was 50% on 3rd down convversions. That tells us when it is gut check time, that is THE guy you want on your side.

Also, the guy has no desire to be the center of it all. He is humble, like so many other of our guys. He is hard working, he is smart, and he has memorized kyle's Playbook early on. If he had a massive ego he would be spouting off as to why he didn't have 22 for 28 in passes yesterday, or whatever else the high profile QBs want. JimmyG isn't that way and is that ever nice. He wants to win. He cares most about winning and least about what his stats look like. A lot of QBs in the league just can't do that. Yet for Jimmy, it just makes sense...good sense, because that means we are going to win.

He rarely gets rattled, he has intent in his eyes that makes the O want to follow him to hell and back. The guys believe in him because they know he can do it. We are incredibly lucky our team isn't out there.advertising their stats and bringing the focus onto them and not the team. Nowadays, that is a rarity. Humility is his middle name, and he is just one of the guys. But when you need your QB to come thru, to date he has done just exactly that. He puts TEAM before all else as do so many other of our guys. Look at Arik, Buck, Dee, KWON, Bosa, 3 RBs, Au Jus, 3 WRs, Kittle and dwelley, joe and McG, Tomlinson, person...i mean, man we got an entire team of humble , high class guys.

We are fortunate, very fortunate. But if you ask them who is the undisputed leader, they all will tell you it is Jimmy G.

I'm sure you rate some QBs above JG , but really...is there someone else you would rather have? Not I.

Even the guys on D have said they would go to war with Jimmy. Sherm says it all the time, that dude would know.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

He's already proved he can win games by carrying the team if need be. Not every game is gonna be the Jimmy G show.

Didn't say he couldn't. He's a good QBs.

I think he made 4 winning drives and went toe for toe with Drew Brees. That doesn't sound like a game manager.

Sure it does. He just executes Kyle's brilliant scheme. That's all I mean by game manager. He understands what Kyle wants and works in the scheme. He's not elusive or very good at improv don't think he would do well on a team like the Seahawks or even Greenbay, where the QB is asked to compensate for a lot of weekness

What QB doesn't execute his coach's gameplan and still wins that many games? Having an excellent play caller and a stingy defense doesn't discredit the QB at all...sheesh.

He's a pocket passer not a squirrel like Wilson and he doesn't have to improv if he's executing the plays majority of the time.

I admit I'm purely speculating, but if Jimmy had a lesser OC ( Roman or average) he would struggle to "make it happen." As it is he has a 2/1 TD to INT ratio and that is with amazing scheme design and players around him ( Kittle/Deebo).

Again, I'm not trying to knock him. He's in a perfect situation for his skill set. That's all. Nothing wrong with a game manager that executes at a high level when it's a good scheme.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jan 12, 2020 at 8:44 PM ]

Job number 1 of a QB, execute/run the offense. Jimmy doing that doesn't make him a lesser QB, scramble drills are nice, but would you rather have a QB who stands in the pocket, makes quick accurate throws, and occasionally has a nice improv, or a guy who has to run for his life to make a throw off script (aka Wilson)

I guess it's preference. If executing an offense (or scheme as you said it) then was Montana anything more than a game manager? What about Brady?
🏈🏆🍻 jimmy g 💞💫🔥
Originally posted by Thanos89:
Job number 1 of a QB, execute/run the offense. Jimmy doing that doesn't make him a lesser QB, scramble drills are nice, but would you rather have a QB who stands in the pocket, makes quick accurate throws, and occasionally has a nice improv, or a guy who has to run for his life to make a throw off script (aka Wilson)

I guess it's preference. If executing an offense (or scheme as you said it) then was Montana anything more than a game manager? What about Brady?

If your asking if I would take Wilson over Jimmy, it's not even a question. Wilson might be the best QB in the league.

And you're right, there are many variables that go into a QBs success. I think Jimmy is a talented Qb, but Kyle makes him better than he is. The space Kyle schemes for his TEs, WRs and RBs is pretty insane. Then you add in their yac ability. You probably saw the stat yesterday that we have the least yards per pass (6. Something), but the most after catch (6. Something). All that adds up to 13 plus yards a pass play, but a lot of it is by great design and yac.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jan 12, 2020 at 8:56 PM ]

• jcs
  • Veteran

I admit I'm purely speculating, but if Jimmy had a lesser OC ( Roman or average) he would struggle to "make it happen." As it is he has a 2/1 TD to INT ratio and that is with amazing scheme design and players around him ( Kittle/Deebo).

Again, I'm not trying to knock him. He's in a perfect situation for his skill set. That's all. Nothing wrong with a game manager that executes at a high level when it's a good scheme.
He was undefeated in his starts for the Patriots, looked pretty good there too. Personally I think KS needs him more than Jimmy needed us. He was supposed to be the chosen one in New England.

lol lamest take of the day. he's a gunslinger not a game manager.
[ Edited by boast on Jan 12, 2020 at 8:54 PM ]
If your asking if I would take Wilson over Jimmy, it's not even a question. Wilson might be the best QB in the league.

And yet his season is over.
Imagine doubting Jimmy in 2020.
Rodgers almost got picked by (I think it was) Wagner doing the same thing that caused Jimmy's pick.

Not seeing the dback in coverage.

It happens.
Share 49ersWebzone