LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 326 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Furlow:
Great first drive. After that hit where his leg got caught underneath the defender, he looked rattled for sure. Then didn't really have to throw so he didn't have a chance to work his way out of it. I think he's shown us enough times that he can bounce back from a bad quarter or half. I'm not worried.

He was 6-8 with a TD before getting his ankle rolled up. Went 5-11 with an INT after. Still made a couple big 3rd down conversions.
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
If your asking if I would take Wilson over Jimmy, it's not even a question. Wilson might be the best QB in the league.

And you're right, there are many variables that go into a QBs success. I think Jimmy is a talented Qb, but Kyle makes him better than he is. The space Kyle schemes for his TEs, WRs and RBs is pretty insane. Then you add in their yac ability. You probably saw the stat yesterday that we have the least yards per pass (6. Something), but the most after catch (6. Something). All that adds up to 13 plus yards a pass play, but a lot of it is by great design and yac.
I agree with you. Now, you're not going to believe this, but there are people on this board who spin Shanahan's system as a shackle that Garoppolo has to deal with. "He's doing well, in spite of playing in a complicated system that's really hard to learn!" Even if it is hard to learn and takes time to master, the scheming (i.e. spacing) far outweighs the difficulty and is a huge net positive for Jimmy.

Kyle + Jimmy >>>> Wilson + Cheat Carroll.

Some people need to pay attention to all of Jonnydels YouTube clips and posts analysing things. It is very clear that some people have not

Here is the thing, even if you want to take all the credit from Jimmy and put it all on Shanny, not saying people are, but even if you did. That doesn't mean that this system would be all that great for Wilson. What Wilson does best, better than anyone, all comes outside the system and off schedule. The play as it is drawn up has a very low success rate in that offense, it is what happens after the play that is magic and I say that as just a big a hater of the seahawks as anyone. The thing is, Pete knows it too, they go after lineman that may not block so great but never hold, they go after receivers who might not be amazing within the play but are so good at breaking down and going sandlot after their route is done. It is everything to them...but even with all that, when he is just in the pocket running the design? Dude is kind of average, sometimes even below average. Maybe he could run Shanny's offense, maybe he couldn't...it is definitely no sure thing. I could see him being really bad if forced to work in such a regimented, timing based, clockwork like system...something that Jimmy for all his detractors is excelling in quicker than almost anyone else has to date.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Here is the thing, even if you want to take all the credit from Jimmy and put it all on Shanny, not saying people are, but even if you did. That doesn't mean that this system would be all that great for Wilson. What Wilson does best, better than anyone, all comes outside the system and off schedule. The play as it is drawn up has a very low success rate in that offense, it is what happens after the play that is magic and I say that as just a big a hater of the seahawks as anyone. The thing is, Pete knows it too, they go after lineman that may not block so great but never hold, they go after receivers who might not be amazing within the play but are so good at breaking down and going sandlot after their route is done. It is everything to them...but even with all that, when he is just in the pocket running the design? Dude is kind of average, sometimes even below average. Maybe he could run Shanny's offense, maybe he couldn't...it is definitely no sure thing. I could see him being really bad if forced to work in such a regimented, timing based, clockwork like system...something that Jimmy for all his detractors is excelling in quicker than almost anyone else has to date.

If Wilson were here he'd be even more dangerous. He'd impact the offense like Steve Young did. Defenses would be rendered useless. Wilson has the quick release and the weird throwing angles and the deep touch as well. Jimmy is our guy but let's not think Wilson couldn't come here and excel. Good thing for SEA they have him to keep Pete Carroll his job
  • Chief
  • Veteran
6 days until NFC championship, 14-3 record, number 1 seed.

People still b***hing about the QB. Lol, QB the issue or just some people's bad personality traits?
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Chief:

People still b***hing about the QB. Lol, QB the issue or just some people's bad personality traits?
Lol 49ers fans have been b***hing about our QB since Montana. Probably even before.
I love jimmy and am glad he is our guy! But he does need to improve some. The Vikings game wasn't his most crisp game but he did have an amazing first drive. Let's not discredit the Vikings front 7 though, they're the real deal.

Let's hope for N.O Jimmy! Break Rodgers soul!
Originally posted by Jiks:
Originally posted by Chief:

Lol 49ers fans have been b***hing about our QB since Montana. Probably even before.

Lol I'm sure people b***hed about Montana too

Ummm. Never get called for holding.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Thanos89:
Job number 1 of a QB, execute/run the offense. Jimmy doing that doesn't make him a lesser QB, scramble drills are nice, but would you rather have a QB who stands in the pocket, makes quick accurate throws, and occasionally has a nice improv, or a guy who has to run for his life to make a throw off script (aka Wilson)

I guess it's preference. If executing an offense (or scheme as you said it) then was Montana anything more than a game manager? What about Brady?

If your asking if I would take Wilson over Jimmy, it's not even a question. Wilson might be the best QB in the league.

And you're right, there are many variables that go into a QBs success. I think Jimmy is a talented Qb, but Kyle makes him better than he is. The space Kyle schemes for his TEs, WRs and RBs is pretty insane. Then you add in their yac ability. You probably saw the stat yesterday that we have the least yards per pass (6. Something), but the most after catch (6. Something). All that adds up to 13 plus yards a pass play, but a lot of it is by great design and yac.

Wilson is the better playmaker, but I doubt he runs Kyle's offense on all cylinders.
Originally posted by tankle104:
I love jimmy and am glad he is our guy! But he does need to improve some. The Vikings game wasn't his most crisp game but he did have an amazing first drive. Let's not discredit the Vikings front 7 though, they're the real deal.

Let's hope for N.O Jimmy! Break Rodgers soul!

you do realize this is his first year starting games, he will get better thru the years. Also look at Matt Ryan's jump from season 1 to 2 in Kyle's system. I just want Jimmy to stop those boneheaded INT's. If the DB or LB makes a great play so be it but I hate the ones where he flat out throws it to them

Originally posted by mattster03:
First and most importantly, I hope Jimmy's ankle is ok. He played the rest of the game which is a great sign, and looked pretty mobile still, but I bet he is sore this morning.

Second, not the best game... but not much was asked of him! We are back to the beginning of the season where the defense dominated and the offense managed with a strong running gamr. We have seen what Jimmy is capable of when called upon... nothing to worry about here!

Third, Playoffs is a different animal... look at Tannehills stat line against what was arguably the best regular season team in the league.

Fourth, Go Niners!!!!

now we know why they tape their ankles up like they do
I do actually think there's merit to what you're saying. Greg Cosell, a guy who I like a lot, had a really good take on Wilson. He said, "Russell Wilson is the hardest quarterback for defensive coordinators to gameplan around, because he goes off-script so often." And then he said, "however, Russell Wilson is always the hardest quarterback for offensive coordinators to set up a gameplan for, because he's more likely than anyone to bail on the play and go off-script." I agree with that.
Originally posted by theduke85:
I do actually think there's merit to what you're saying. Greg Cosell, a guy who I like a lot, had a really good take on Wilson. He said, "Russell Wilson is the hardest quarterback for defensive coordinators to gameplan around, because he goes off-script so often." And then he said, "however, Russell Wilson is always the hardest quarterback for offensive coordinators to set up a gameplan for, because he's more likely than anyone to bail on the play and go off-script." I agree with that.

I'd argue that Russell usually doesn't bail until the protection breaks down.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by PuckFarag10:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
No kidding. Isn't the purpose to win? And if you've identified a weakness in the opposition, you exploit it? Why do you think they always say running game and defense wins championships? Passing game gets you to the dance. Running and defense gets you to the top.

I didnt really explain myself well. I prefer the offense more balanced, but if something is working then keep going until they stop it. I fully expect that had the Vikings been able to stop the run yesterday Shanahan would've put the ball in Jimmy's hands. Like in the AZ games, Saints and Seahawks week 17 when Jimmy shouldered the game.

Yesterday's game showed again how balanced the 49ers offense is. Not balanced as in 50% run plays 50% pass plays, but being able to run or pass with equal effectiveness for an offense. So the next opponent has to gameplan to defend pass and run.

is that the last tough defense the niners will face? who's the next toughest? Greenbay?
Even better than the pancake block was Jimmy jumping into the pile trying to get the loose ball
Share 49ersWebzone