LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 255 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Jimmy's not a top tier QB, imo. 2 tier top game manager.

oh so we're back to calling him a game manager again?

is this dude f**kin serious? Lol
  • Jiks
I stick with my Favre/Romo comparison. I don't think he will ever not throw these terrible interceptions but I also think he has enough talent to win the big one and control/dominate a game on any given day.
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by PuckFarag10:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
No kidding. Isn't the purpose to win? And if you've identified a weakness in the opposition, you exploit it? Why do you think they always say running game and defense wins championships? Passing game gets you to the dance. Running and defense gets you to the top.

I didnt really explain myself well. I prefer the offense more balanced, but if something is working then keep going until they stop it. I fully expect that had the Vikings been able to stop the run yesterday Shanahan would've put the ball in Jimmy's hands. Like in the AZ games, Saints and Seahawks week 17 when Jimmy shouldered the game.

Yesterday's game showed again how balanced the 49ers offense is. Not balanced as in 50% run plays 50% pass plays, but being able to run or pass with equal effectiveness for an offense. So the next opponent has to gameplan to defend pass and run.

is that the last tough defense the niners will face? who's the next toughest? Greenbay?

yup, Titans and KC defenses will get torched.
Originally posted by Jcool:
If your asking if I would take Wilson over Jimmy, it's not even a question. Wilson might be the best QB in the league.

And yet his season is over.

Bro, this isn't boxing or wrestling...lol

QBs don't really go "head up."

Anyway, I can see I'll be the bad guy here, so I'll leave it alone. I like Jimmy. Glad we have Jimmy. But if our team was less talented and less well run, there are a handful of QBs I would take over him. All things being equal, there are still a handful I would take over him.

was he a game manager in 2017 when we had a less talented team around him and the team was 1-10 before he took over?
Originally posted by BuZzB:
By now, all the seats and aisles had been cleaned. The peanuts shells and spilled beer had all been wiped away, along with most traces of the disrespectful win Kyle Shanahan and his band of merry men had pulled off in a Super Bowl that would be talked about at family gatherings and drunken reunions for years. The echoes of cheers from the crowd had faded and the staff had all gone home.

Yet the glow of one light remained. Just outside of the players' entrance tunnel, his shadow stretched behind him much like the pall he had cast over his now-defeated opposition. Garoppolo stood tall, taking one last look at the field. Smirking, he thinks back to a warm 4th of July night playing football in the backyard with his brothers. Tony was always the QB back in those days.

"I'm oldest, I get to make the decisions," he would confidently say to his younger brothers, "I don't make the rules, that's just how it is."

Jimmy was playing wide receiver. His second-oldest brother, Mike, was covering him. Now Mike usually got the better of him, but this time Tony called up a special play.

"This one's for it all, got it Jimmy? This is your chance to be the champ, little bro."

Three steps was really all it took. As soon as the ball was hiked, one step forward, one to the right, and a cur back to the left, and Mike was on the ground. He had been practicing juking with his oldest brother for the last few few weeks, and it had paid off beautifully. Followed up by a perfect pass right into his hands, and Jimmy finally scored.

"You did it, Jim!" Tony yelled, lifting his little brother up into the air. "You're a Super Bowl champ, bro! And you can do it Jimmy, one day I know you can if you want it."

Well, it wasn't as a receiver, but he had just won a Super Bowl. He scans the field one last time before heading back into the tunnel.

"Hey there, partner. Taking a last look?"

Jimmy smiled, recognizing the voice immediately.

"I was hoping you'd still be around, Erin," he responds, watching her closely as she moved out of the shadows, " I just needed to see it again, you know? To make sure it isn't a dream--or if it is, get as much in as I can."

"Well it's not a dream, Jim; it's real, and you earned it, she says, moving closer, touching his chest. "But I guess just in case it is a dream, we better make the most of it."

Pulling his head to hers, they kiss long and passionately. She let's out a slight moan as he pulls her tightly to his body.

Erin pulls her head back and , looking into Jimmy's eyes, asks "how does it all feel?"

His smile widening across his face, the Italian Stallion let's out a small laugh before responding "Feels gre--"

Erin puts her finger to his lips, winks and says "not yet cowboy, let's hit the road to your place first and then you can tell me."

Scooping her up in his arms, they both laugh as Jimmy carries her out to the parking lot, smoothly opening the passenger door to his 1985 De Lorean with his foot and placing her in the seat.

"Buckle up princess," he says to her with a raised brow, "where we're going we don't need roads."

Plus they totally banged.

It's in your hands Jimmy. Let's keep on winning like the winner you are. Go NINERS!!
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Here is the thing, even if you want to take all the credit from Jimmy and put it all on Shanny, not saying people are, but even if you did. That doesn't mean that this system would be all that great for Wilson. What Wilson does best, better than anyone, all comes outside the system and off schedule. The play as it is drawn up has a very low success rate in that offense, it is what happens after the play that is magic and I say that as just a big a hater of the seahawks as anyone. The thing is, Pete knows it too, they go after lineman that may not block so great but never hold, they go after receivers who might not be amazing within the play but are so good at breaking down and going sandlot after their route is done. It is everything to them...but even with all that, when he is just in the pocket running the design? Dude is kind of average, sometimes even below average. Maybe he could run Shanny's offense, maybe he couldn't...it is definitely no sure thing. I could see him being really bad if forced to work in such a regimented, timing based, clockwork like system...something that Jimmy for all his detractors is excelling in quicker than almost anyone else has to date.

Ummm. Never get called for holding.

That itself is a technique, yes there is start treatment involved as well, but you still have to keep it from being too obvious.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I love jimmy and am glad he is our guy! But he does need to improve some. The Vikings game wasn't his most crisp game but he did have an amazing first drive. Let's not discredit the Vikings front 7 though, they're the real deal.

Let's hope for N.O Jimmy! Break Rodgers soul!

you do realize this is his first year starting games, he will get better thru the years. Also look at Matt Ryan's jump from season 1 to 2 in Kyle's system. I just want Jimmy to stop those boneheaded INT's. If the DB or LB makes a great play so be it but I hate the ones where he flat out throws it to them

The idea that he has been throwing a ton of picks really needs to stop...it slowed way down after like game six the one this weekend wasn't boneheaded at all it was just the throw came out a little flat. It happens.
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Originally posted by theduke85:
I do actually think there's merit to what you're saying. Greg Cosell, a guy who I like a lot, had a really good take on Wilson. He said, "Russell Wilson is the hardest quarterback for defensive coordinators to gameplan around, because he goes off-script so often." And then he said, "however, Russell Wilson is always the hardest quarterback for offensive coordinators to set up a gameplan for, because he's more likely than anyone to bail on the play and go off-script." I agree with that.

I'd argue that Russell usually doesn't bail until the protection breaks down.

I would argue that it has gotten to the point where they hardly invest in protection so the play breaks down early and often and they simply don't care. That will affect a guys development. WIlson is a singular talent, there aren't many if any like him. I am not so sure you could plug him into just any offense now...that ship has sailed, much less one that demands the discipline and timing of Shanny's.
No kidding. Isn't the purpose to win? And if you've identified a weakness in the opposition, you exploit it? Why do you think they always say running game and defense wins championships? Passing game gets you to the dance. Running and defense gets you to the top.

I didnt really explain myself well. I prefer the offense more balanced, but if something is working then keep going until they stop it. I fully expect that had the Vikings been able to stop the run yesterday Shanahan would've put the ball in Jimmy's hands. Like in the AZ games, Saints and Seahawks week 17 when Jimmy shouldered the game.

Yesterday's game showed again how balanced the 49ers offense is. Not balanced as in 50% run plays 50% pass plays, but being able to run or pass with equal effectiveness for an offense. So the next opponent has to gameplan to defend pass and run.

is that the last tough defense the niners will face? who's the next toughest? Greenbay?

I think Titans are a better D down the stretch than GB has been.

I have not once been impressed with ANYTHING GB has done all year, im still amazed how they won 13 games.
I have not once been impressed with ANYTHING GB has done all year, im still amazed how they won 13 games.

Easy: they played the garbage/mediocre NFC-E & AFC-W....beating a Mahome-less KC by a TD was their lone big win this season

Their kryptonite: facing any team with an above-decent pass rush and/or having to go to the west coast (losses to Philly, SD and SF)....guess who has both
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Jan 13, 2020 at 8:05 AM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:
I love jimmy and am glad he is our guy! But he does need to improve some. The Vikings game wasn't his most crisp game but he did have an amazing first drive. Let's not discredit the Vikings front 7 though, they're the real deal.

Let's hope for N.O Jimmy! Break Rodgers soul!

you do realize this is his first year starting games, he will get better thru the years. Also look at Matt Ryan's jump from season 1 to 2 in Kyle's system. I just want Jimmy to stop those boneheaded INT's. If the DB or LB makes a great play so be it but I hate the ones where he flat out throws it to them

Yeah I am not saying he is a bad quarterback lol you can support someone and hold them accountable.

Count me in on that.
JG was definitely off for part of the game.

Wasn't hitting his receivers on target.

Not sure if the ankle thing was an issue.

IMO, he'll be lights out vs the Pack.
Share 49ersWebzone