LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 182 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Joe threw what should have been an easy INT in the SB against the Bengals. It was just before he hit Taylor for the game winning TD. Joe had that same ability to shake off a bad throw and come back strong.

One thing to keep in mind about when Joe played. QB's could get hit a lot more and DB's were able to disrupt the routes a lot more than they are now. That probably resulted in more INT's in those days.

I just want to clarify, that wasn't before the winning TD to Taylor, it was before the TD that Rice caught where he reached the ball across the pylon before going out of bounds.

The TD that tied the game at 13.
[ Edited by linkboy on Jan 14, 2020 at 10:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by Thanos89:
Originally posted by thl408:
pancakin LBs diving head first for fumbles. That's our QB.

That LB was like "ah he a QB he ain't gonna be physical.......oh f**k me I'm on my ass hope I don't end up on come on man"

Pancaked by a QB Jimmy got that Old school mentality.

Jimmy was a LB before he was a QB.

Ah I Never knew that.

Originally posted by Joecool:
Still the most underrated QB in the league.

He'll be the best QB too next year
If he can cut down on his dumb interceptions he will be great. The tools are there.
Originally posted by ImAlwaysRight:
If he can cut down on his dumb interceptions he will be great. The tools are there.

s**t happens. not the last time he's gonna throw one.
Originally posted by SkyZer0:

The INT's are troublesome but I think he'll get better when he realizes he can't throw the ball into some of the coverages he sees. Just throw it away. He sometimes tries to force the ball in and there are very few QB's that can do that with any success. I want to see him improve his deep throws even though it isn't a big part of Kyle's offense. If he can show the ability to throw guys open on those 35-40 yard plays like Joe Burrow was doing last night it will open up more underneath. Plus, it never hurts to be able to hit a deep pass now and then.

Vikings knew that most of our routes were going to be between the numbers and they did a really good job of covering the middle of the field plus their pass rush is pretty good. I think Kyle went full steam on the running game after a few contested passes. Not to protect Jimmy but because the runnning game was dominate against their defense. I just don't think the casual fan realizes that there is more to a passing game than just the QB. That is why the QB is always "to blame" when they throw an int. The o line has to protect and the receivers have to get open and catch the ball. The one int that Jimmy did throw was a great play by the linebacker. He had to stretch out to catch that.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BigBossBosa97:

Vikings knew that most of our routes were going to be between the numbers and they did a really good job of covering the middle of the field plus their pass rush is pretty good. I think Kyle went full steam on the running game after a few contested passes. Not to protect Jimmy but because the runnning game was dominate against their defense. I just don't think the casual fan realizes that there is more to a passing game than just the QB. That is why the QB is always "to blame" when they throw an int. The o line has to protect and the receivers have to get open and catch the ball. The one int that Jimmy did throw was a great play by the linebacker. He had to stretch out to catch that.

+1

It really looked like Minny's LB's were reading pass first in order to get a jump into the passing lanes down the middle and Kyle decided quickly to exploit it until they adjusted which it seems they didn't.

The INT's are troublesome but I think he'll get better when he realizes he can't throw the ball into some of the coverages he sees. Just throw it away. He sometimes tries to force the ball in and there are very few QB's that can do that with any success. I want to see him improve his deep throws even though it isn't a big part of Kyle's offense. If he can show the ability to throw guys open on those 35-40 yard plays like Joe Burrow was doing last night it will open up more underneath. Plus, it never hurts to be able to hit a deep pass now and then.

I thought JG was doing awesome at throwing receivers open prior to that INT. He was throwing the ball before some of his guys were anywhere near the location of the catch.

Those underneath INTs are tough because, most of the time, the QB cannot see the underneath defender over the linemen. So, it is mostly a trust the presnap read. Saw Rodgers NOT throw it to Adams on a slant when Adams was wide open. Seemed like Rodgers read something different presnap. He even stared right at Adams and did not pull the trigger. It was a 3rd play that didn't convert.

JG has 100% faith in the design and his presnap read. These INTs are more about his experience in reading defenses than anything. I don't think he gets enough credit because he makes difficult throws look easy or he doesn't get enough credit for throwing receivers open because it looks like a routine play. All the QB's who take plays off schedule and get completions are the QBs that get the most recognition.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Here you go....Kyle Shanahan's HAND PICKED QB

no that was hoyer
I thought JG was doing awesome at throwing receivers open prior to that INT. He was throwing the ball before some of his guys were anywhere near the location of the catch.

Those underneath INTs are tough because, most of the time, the QB cannot see the underneath defender over the linemen. So, it is mostly a trust the presnap read. Saw Rodgers NOT throw it to Adams on a slant when Adams was wide open. Seemed like Rodgers read something different presnap. He even stared right at Adams and did not pull the trigger. It was a 3rd play that didn't convert.

JG has 100% faith in the design and his presnap read. These INTs are more about his experience in reading defenses than anything. I don't think he gets enough credit because he makes difficult throws look easy or he doesn't get enough credit for throwing receivers open because it looks like a routine play. All the QB's who take plays off schedule and get completions are the QBs that get the most recognition.

He's gotten better at leading his receivers although he was having problems last week throwing behind. Not sure why because he hadn't been doing that the last few weeks.

I'm talking about deep throws. 30-40 yards downfield where he lays the ball up and the receiver can run right under it without breaking stride. He hasn't shown the ability to do that on any consistent basis. Part of that is getting familiar enough with your wideouts that you know how much to lead them. Watching Burrow do that last night was a thing of beauty. He really does it well for a college QB. It may be something that Jimmy just can't do well and if he can't then that's okay. it's just part of the passing game and obviously he's winning without it. It's something that if he could add would make him and the Niners just that much more dangerous.

Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by BigBossBosa97:

+1

It really looked like Minny's LB's were reading pass first in order to get a jump into the passing lanes down the middle and Kyle decided quickly to exploit it until they adjusted which it seems they didn't.

plus theyre the best linebackers or defense we've faced all season, i think

He's gotten better at leading his receivers although he was having problems last week throwing behind. Not sure why because he hadn't been doing that the last few weeks.

I'm talking about deep throws. 30-40 yards downfield where he lays the ball up and the receiver can run right under it without breaking stride. He hasn't shown the ability to do that on any consistent basis. Part of that is getting familiar enough with your wideouts that you know how much to lead them. Watching Burrow do that last night was a thing of beauty. He really does it well for a college QB. It may be something that Jimmy just can't do well and if he can't then that's okay. it's just part of the passing game and obviously he's winning without it. It's something that if he could add would make him and the Niners just that much more dangerous.

I don't think that's in Kyle's philosophy in terms of being effective. Those are man on man zero coverage types of plays.

Also, I'm not talking about leading WRs. I'm talking about throwing them open on a lot of those deeper dig and out routes. He has been awesome at those. He was in the MIN game as well.

As for throwing a little behind, he's on more often than not so I let those pass. Also, sometimes, to a QB, those look like you might be setting your WR up to get hit so I can see a couple of them where he forced the WR to slow down.

Remember, that MIN D made Drew Brees look stupid.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Just need Jimmy to play like he did at Seattle. Efficient and accurate. He doesn't need to light it up though that would be cool. All he's gotta do is execute and we'll roll.
I don't think that's in Kyle's philosophy in terms of being effective. Those are man on man zero coverage types of plays.

Also, I'm not talking about leading WRs. I'm talking about throwing them open on a lot of those deeper dig and out routes. He has been awesome at those. He was in the MIN game as well.

As for throwing a little behind, he's on more often than not so I let those pass. Also, sometimes, to a QB, those look like you might be setting your WR up to get hit so I can see a couple of them where he forced the WR to slow down.

It may not be Kyle's philosophy but I seem to recall Atlanta throwing deep when Kyle was there. Not a lot but enough to keep the defense honest. Right now we rarely throw deep sideline patterns. It's not a high percentage throw but sometimes it's necessary like late in a game when you're trying to comeback from a big deficit and need to score quickly. Jimmy's great at getting the ball out quickly and he's accurate on the short and intermediate stuff. I would just like to see the deep pattern added next year. Right now, his average pass is the shortest in the NFL. The good part is the average YAC is the highest.

It may not be Kyle's philosophy but I seem to recall Atlanta throwing deep when Kyle was there. Not a lot but enough to keep the defense honest. Right now we rarely throw deep sideline patterns. It's not a high percentage throw but sometimes it's necessary like late in a game when you're trying to comeback from a big deficit and need to score quickly. Jimmy's great at getting the ball out quickly and he's accurate on the short and intermediate stuff. I would just like to see the deep pattern added next year. Right now, his average pass is the shortest in the NFL. The good part is the average YAC is the highest.

Maybe that is why we haven't seen them. Not once this year have we been behind by a big deficit late in a game.
Share 49ersWebzone