LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 243 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BigBossBosa97:
Maybe that is why we haven't seen them. Not once this year have we been behind by a big deficit late in a game.

True but it can happen. Maybe not this year but next year. It never hurts to have another weapon in the arsenal.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Maybe that is why we haven't seen them. Not once this year have we been behind by a big deficit late in a game.

True but it can happen. Maybe not this year but next year. It never hurts to have another weapon in the arsenal.

I think those types of 1 on 1 man coverage deep down the sideline passes might be what Jalen Hurd was drafted for. So maybe we do see some of that next year.
Gonna be honest, I haven't really seen a QB this year, who plays within the system and throws darts on a consistent basis. Imo, the occasional picks will never stop as long as Jimmy is threading passes through keyholes, and with the types of throws that he makes, the margin of error is like splitting hairs that sometimes the defensive player will just make a great play on it. Ultimately, the only thing that matters to me is that Jimmy doesn't get rattled at all. Dude has supreme confidence in his game, not sure if it's something he learned from TB, but it's definitely ingrained in him.
[ Edited by D0PEMAN on Jan 14, 2020 at 2:22 PM ]

I think those types of 1 on 1 man coverage deep down the sideline passes might be what Jalen Hurd was drafted for. So maybe we do see some of that next year.

I hope so but my concern lies with what I've seen when he has thrown deep. He consistently under throws the receiver and they have to slow up or stop and wait for the ball. He has good zip on his passes when he throws short but he either doesn't have the arm strength for the deep lofted passes or he's just not down with how much to lead these guys and is afraid of over throwing. If it's the latter then he can work on that with the receivers.

Like I said, if this never becomes part of the Niner offense then I'm okay with it as long as we keep winning. It would be nice to see it a couple of times each game. Nothing more exciting than a long TD pass or run. Instant dagger in the other teams heart.

I hope so but my concern lies with what I've seen when he has thrown deep. He consistently under throws the receiver and they have to slow up or stop and wait for the ball. He has good zip on his passes when he throws short but he either doesn't have the arm strength for the deep lofted passes or he's just not down with how much to lead these guys and is afraid of over throwing. If it's the latter then he can work on that with the receivers.

Like I said, if this never becomes part of the Niner offense then I'm okay with it as long as we keep winning. It would be nice to see it a couple of times each game. Nothing more exciting than a long TD pass or run. Instant dagger in the other teams heart.

I get what you are saying. I don't think JG is a drive the ball hard laser type of thrower. He's got the torque which allows for the quick zips but his balls lose zip when it travels over 30 yards. I think he can do it, but he tends to focus more on the dart-like throws than he does on the wind up and drive it through a receivers chest types of throws.
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by Niners816:
Here you go....Kyle Shanahan's HAND PICKED QB

no that was hoyer

wE wErE tOlD
Originally posted by Joecool:
I get what you are saying. I don't think JG is a drive the ball hard laser type of thrower. He's got the torque which allows for the quick zips but his balls lose zip when it travels over 30 yards. I think he can do it, but he tends to focus more on the dart-like throws than he does on the wind up and drive it through a receivers chest types of throws.

Hey it's something he can work on in the off season so he doesn't get a big head after winning the SB.

One reason is Jimmy G is great after something "bad" happens

They showed the stat during the game

After he throws an INT or the other team scores Jimmy G basically goes super hero mode on his next drive

The opposite of crumbling under pressure
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

One reason is Jimmy G is great after something "bad" happens

They showed the stat during the game

After he throws an INT or the other team scores Jimmy G basically goes super hero mode on his next drive

The opposite of crumbling under pressure

Yea. He is 36/39 for like 400+ with 2 td's and 0 ints.
everyone here hates Grant Cohn, but he made some good points on his video review of Jimmy in his playoff game.

Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
everyone here hates Grant Cohn, but he made some good points on his video review of Jimmy in his playoff game.

cool!

• pdc20
  • Veteran
It was in New Orleans I think.
What a game it was. Garoppolo was spectacular.
I think this game and the Jaguars one are the two big moments that convince me that this guy could be the one we were waiting for so long.
  • titan
  • Veteran
JimmyG will need to be on the money to lead the drives. I really think the GB packs will sell out on defense to stop the run and get pressure on JG. I know they didn't show anything last time we met they can handle our run game. Now that it's for an NFC crown with game film from previous matchup we really need to be on point.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't think that's in Kyle's philosophy in terms of being effective. Those are man on man zero coverage types of plays.

Also, I'm not talking about leading WRs. I'm talking about throwing them open on a lot of those deeper dig and out routes. He has been awesome at those. He was in the MIN game as well.

As for throwing a little behind, he's on more often than not so I let those pass. Also, sometimes, to a QB, those look like you might be setting your WR up to get hit so I can see a couple of them where he forced the WR to slow down.

Remember, that MIN D made Drew Brees look stupid.

It may not be Kyle's philosophy but I seem to recall Atlanta throwing deep when Kyle was there. Not a lot but enough to keep the defense honest. Right now we rarely throw deep sideline patterns. It's not a high percentage throw but sometimes it's necessary like late in a game when you're trying to comeback from a big deficit and need to score quickly. Jimmy's great at getting the ball out quickly and he's accurate on the short and intermediate stuff. I would just like to see the deep pattern added next year. Right now, his average pass is the shortest in the NFL. The good part is the average YAC is the highest.
Having Julio Jones may have had something to do with that.
Share 49ersWebzone