LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 285 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
"That's just how this world works," Shanahan explained, "and you'll get credit if you win a Super Bowl or an NFL MVP or something like that. We ran the ball last week, so a lot of people are going to say that Jimmy didn't do enough. There's lots of games this year that we haven't been able to run the ball, and we've had to win it by passing.

"That's what I'm proud of with Jimmy and proud of our team, that you can't really say that we have to win a game a certain way. I think we've shown that we can win a number of ways, which shows a lot to our players. I know Jimmy doesn't care how we win it, whether we're running it, throwing it, whether we've got to do it on defense to protect the ball, whether we've got to air it out to get some points.

"A lot of guys say that it doesn't bother them, but I promise it doesn't bother him. I've never had to call him in to talk to him about it. He is so locked into whatever the plan is, whatever we're doing. He's just trying to distribute the ball."

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/133405-shanahan-emmanuel-sanders-explain-garoppolo-doesnt-receive-success/

-Kyle Shanahan

I love our quarterback, and if you don't, I feel bad for you!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Now they are counting "almost pick offs" which did not happen at all. Sounds like kind of a subjective and biased category.....

Interceptable passes has been a stat they have been tracking for a while now.
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Does anyone have a clip of all of Jimmys INTs from the regular season? I'm curious to see how many of them are tipped balls

If you looked at every INT for every QB you will see a combination of high throws, late throws, tipped passes and just plain misses where the receiver and QB are not on the same page. Then you have the great plays by the defender. INT's suck but they're part of the game. When our D gets one we cheer while the other team's fans are yelling at their QB.
Does anyone have a clip of all of Jimmys INTs from the regular season? I'm curious to see how many of them are tipped balls

6 of them were IIRC. 2 vs Pittsburgh, 1 vs Seattle, 1 vs Arizona, 1 vs New Orleans 1 vs Rams.

Hes had at least 3 bounce off his WR. Plus theres the times the WR didn't run the correct route. I know the pick 6 early last year was Kendrick Bourne's fault for falling down. Ive said for years that they should track WR INT's and put those on the WR's stat sheet. Baseball tracks unearned runs and wild pitches vs passed balls, so football should do a better job categorizing blame. They already have official scorers for determining the sack credits. Just have them tally INT responsibility.

Tom Brady's TD/INT ratio was actually even worse for his first 6 years as a starter. Youd like to be at a 3 to 1 ratio, and Brady was at 2 to 1 or worse from 2001-2006. Jimmy will be fine.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Hes had at least 3 bounce off his WR. Plus theres the times the WR didn't run the correct route. I know the pick 6 early last year was Kendrick Bourne's fault for falling down. Ive said for years that they should track WR INT's and put those on the WR's stat sheet. Baseball tracks unearned runs and wild pitches vs passed balls, so football should do a better job categorizing blame. They already have official scorers for determining the sack credits. Just have them tally INT responsibility.

Tom Brady's TD/INT ratio was actually even worse for his first 6 years as a starter. Youd like to be at a 3 to 1 ratio, and Brady was at 2 to 1 or worse from 2001-2006. Jimmy will be fine.

Maybe they should subtract the YAC from the QB's passing yardage. He gets credit for 25-30 yards on a screen pass that he throws behind the line when all the work is done by the receiver and the blockers. I'm kidding but I'm just pointing out that they get dinged for tipped passes but they get the benefit of the YAC. The players know who is responsible when things go wrong and that's all that matters.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jan 16, 2020 at 9:25 AM ]

I think that's just opening a can of worms with that logic you would have to add interceptions for all the times a defender dropped one that went through there hands.

Because you and I could look at the same INT that bounced off a WRs hand and come to a different conclusion. I could say that it was an incredibly inaccurate pass that caused the tip, while you could say that the tip caused the INT. Nearly impossible to definitively assign blame.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Because you and I could look at the same INT that bounced off a WRs hand and come to a different conclusion. I could say that it was an incredibly inaccurate pass that caused the tip, while you could say that the tip caused the INT. Nearly impossible to definitively assign blame.

Very true. Some fans think any ball thrown within arms length should be caught. It's not as easy as it looks when you're keeping an eye on the defender as well as the pass. Easy to say he should concentrate on catching the ball but if a receiver has taken a few hard shots he starts looking for the defender. Sometimes receivers start looking for running room before the catch. After the game, when the receivers are asked about a tipped or dropped pass, they usually say I should have had that. If you ask the QB he says I should have put it in a better spot.

when you throw a pass to a professional wr, it hits him in both his hands, you don't expect the ball to then get tipped up in the air and almost returned for a TD (seahawks game)

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
when you throw a pass to a professional wr, it hits him in both his hands, you don't expect the ball to then get tipped up in the air and almost returned for a TD (seahawks game)

When you're a professional receiver you don't expect the ball to be thrown 3 feet over your head or a stride behind. The receivers bailed Jimmy out on at least 3 or 4 throws last week that were behind or thrown away. When they drop a catchable pass, I don't think Jimmy is blaming them.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

When you're a professional receiver you don't expect the ball to be thrown 3 feet over your head or a stride behind. The receivers bailed Jimmy out on at least 3 or 4 throws last week that were behind or thrown away. When they drop a catchable pass, I don't think Jimmy is blaming them.

you gotta jump up sometimes, lol. it hit him in his hands

are we seriously arguing that wasn't bourne's fault?
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Jan 16, 2020 at 11:16 AM ]

Im talking about balls that hit the WR in the hands or chest and popped into the air. Those are absolutely on the WR.
you gotta jump up sometimes, lol. it hit him in his hands

are we seriously arguing that wasn't bourne's fault?

Bourne admitted that he took his eye off the ball on that 3rd down play and should have caught it. What about the pass he dove for and caught when Jimmy chucked it up. We could analyze every incomplete pass and find just as many poor throws as dropped passes. Remember, these receivers and Jimmy have only been together for one season. Still learning.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Being a professional receiver includes being expected to catch balls that aren't always well placed, because it's extremely difficult to throw an accurate ball with pass rushers bearing down on you. Its not realistic to expect perfect throws on every pass. The QB should be able to put the ball in a certain vicinity and expect his WR to make the play.
Share 49ersWebzone