LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 294 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Hes had at least 3 bounce off his WR. Plus theres the times the WR didn't run the correct route. I know the pick 6 early last year was Kendrick Bourne's fault for falling down. Ive said for years that they should track WR INT's and put those on the WR's stat sheet. Baseball tracks unearned runs and wild pitches vs passed balls, so football should do a better job categorizing blame. They already have official scorers for determining the sack credits. Just have them tally INT responsibility.

Tom Brady's TD/INT ratio was actually even worse for his first 6 years as a starter. Youd like to be at a 3 to 1 ratio, and Brady was at 2 to 1 or worse from 2001-2006. Jimmy will be fine.

Maybe they should subtract the YAC from the QB's passing yardage. He gets credit for 25-30 yards on a screen pass that he throws behind the line when all the work is done by the receiver and the blockers. I'm kidding but I'm just pointing out that they get dinged for tipped passes but they get the benefit of the YAC. The players know who is responsible when things go wrong and that's all that matters.

The QB often sees the opportunity for YAC, which is why he throws the ball there, so obviously YAC shouldn't be 100% credited to the WR.

Its not unreasonable to want a well thrown ball that bounces off a WR's hands to not be counted against the guy who did his job. Id love to know exactly how many INT's a QB has that were his own fault. The tally you see is often not the real story. If you want to count dropped picks, you can tally those too. I just want smarter stat tracking
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
when you throw a pass to a professional wr, it hits him in both his hands, you don't expect the ball to then get tipped up in the air and almost returned for a TD (seahawks game)

When you're a professional receiver you don't expect the ball to be thrown 3 feet over your head or a stride behind. The receivers bailed Jimmy out on at least 3 or 4 throws last week that were behind or thrown away. When they drop a catchable pass, I don't think Jimmy is blaming them.

Being a professional receiver includes being expected to catch balls that aren't always well placed, because it's extremely difficult to throw an accurate ball with pass rushers bearing down on you. Its not realistic to expect perfect throws on every pass. The QB should be able to put the ball in a certain vicinity and expect his WR to make the play.

Lol we doing this again? It goes both ways, always has and always will.

Being a professional QB includes being able to properly place the ball because It's extremely difficult to catch a pass with linebackers and defensive backs bearing down on you. It's not realistic to expect every pass thrown behind, below the knees or high to be caught because it touches the hands
you gotta jump up sometimes, lol. it hit him in his hands

are we seriously arguing that wasn't bourne's fault?

Bourne admitted that he took his eye off the ball on that 3rd down play and should have caught it. What about the pass he dove for and caught when Jimmy chucked it up. We could analyze every incomplete pass and find just as many poor throws as dropped passes. Remember, these receivers and Jimmy have only been together for one season. Still learning.

i'm not talking about a wr drop or a bad throw in general. i'm referring to the tipped ball bourne had vs the seahawks. that play in particular is not on jimmy. that's insane if anyone actually believes that.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by pdc20:
larry kreuger on knbr said jimmy threw 5-6 passes that almost got picked, what in the absolute f**k? what game was he watching?
He was off on some throws to be honest but it was the case for others QB this week end also.
I mean Diggs TD could very well be a Witherspoon interception.
Russell Wilson had some weird throws also and one that absolutely should be intercepted.
Mahomes in the first half before the Chiefs offense ran wild, had a questionable deep throw that the Texans CB could have intercepted.
This is PO football, nothing will be easy.
The Vikings defense is legit and Mike Zimmer one of the best Defensive minds in the business.

Now they are counting "almost pick offs" which did not happen at all. Sounds like kind of a subjective and biased category.....

He had a pass get broken up by Kittle that I remember. He was behind on a lot of his passes early on.

like I love Jimmy G, but our WR shouldn't be playing DB in a big game lol...

I see other teams WR's and TE's knock the ball down for their QB if it's not a perfect pass. I've seen the Patriots do this for Tom Brady. Why would you not do this? Every team in the NFL does this. You are supposed to protect your team and QB if the pass is not perfect.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Now they are counting "almost pick offs" which did not happen at all. Sounds like kind of a subjective and biased category.....

Interceptable passes has been a stat they have been tracking for a while now.

Yet they were not intercepted. LOL. So that's a somewhat subjective category. I've seen Patriots players knock a bad ball down for Tom Brady. That's what you are supposed to do. You protect your QB and team. Not every pass is perfect. So knock it down if you have to. Other teams do this. Every team in the NFL does this.
is there any other man on the planet hotter than Jimmy G?? Got dam this boy is good looking!
Originally posted by 49erminion:
is there any other man on the planet hotter than Jimmy G?? Got dam this boy is good looking!

Joe Montana.

It must have been easy to get the girls for him. Plus he was the QB in high school and College. With those looks. Some guys have a hard time. I'm sure it wasn't hard for Jimmy G.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Being a professional QB includes being able to properly place the ball because It's extremely difficult to catch a pass with linebackers and defensive backs bearing down on you. It's not realistic to expect every pass thrown behind, below the knees or high to be caught because it touches the hands

Thank you. Too many people are over protective of the QB and always want to blame the receivers. Like you said it is a 2 way street and the players know that. Thankfully, they don't play the blame game because they are professionals.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Thank you. Too many people are over protective of the QB and always want to blame the receivers. Like you said it is a 2 way street and the players know that. Thankfully, they don't play the blame game because they are professionals.

So this is the every other QB in the league throws perfect passes all game long but not our Jimmy G argument?

Oh wait....... Tom Brady threw a pick 6 in the playoff game and the Patriots lost......

It must have been easy to get the girls for him.

I have been told I look like him. Yes, its easy. But now I'm married and its even easier if I wanted but I avoid doing so like the plague.
So this is the every other QB in the league throws perfect passes all game long but not our Jimmy G argument?

Oh wait....... Tom Brady threw a pick 6 in the playoff game and the Patriots lost......

Nobody said that. The argument is that it's not always the receivers. Both the QB and the receiver are part of the play. Passes will not always be perfectly thrown in which case the receiver makes a great catch or it's incomplete. If it's thrown perfectly (like that 3rd down pass to Bourne) then it's on the receiver. He owned the mistake after the game. They don't waste time pointing fingers at each other because they know they are human. Guys drop passes, miss blocks and tackles and QBs miss wide open receivers with overthrows. It happens every week in every game.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:

It must have been easy to get the girls for him.

I have been told I look like him. Yes, its easy. But now I'm married and its even easier if I wanted but I avoid doing so like the plague.

elguapo burner account?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Nobody said that. The argument is that it's not always the receivers. Both the QB and the receiver are part of the play. Passes will not always be perfectly thrown in which case the receiver makes a great catch or it's incomplete. If it's thrown perfectly (like that 3rd down pass to Bourne) then it's on the receiver. He owned the mistake after the game. They don't waste time pointing fingers at each other because they know they are human. Guys drop passes, miss blocks and tackles and QBs miss wide open receivers with overthrows. It happens every week in every game.

Only "perfectly thrown" passes that are dropped are "on the receiver?"

K
Originally posted by Furlow:

Only "perfectly thrown" passes that are dropped are "on the receiver?"

K

Russell Wilson's WR's routinely make spectacular adjustments to the ball. Look at DK Metcalf. He was going up high for the ball on some over thrown passes from Wilson. He would leap high into the air and bring down some of the passes with his 6'4" frame. But I can think of a few that were not perfectly thrown balls. It's the WR's job to go get it and adjust. A QB is getting fierce pass rush. Timing is not always perfect. Sometimes you have to get rid of the ball. The WR has to make a play on the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone