LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 256 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
The fact that Kyle needs to answer questions about Jimmys job is a complete embarrassment and I blame the fans. We really need to get better as a fanbase

What? Look the media watches games too you know. Jimmy didn't have the best playoff run (whispers started when he never threw the ball) and then on the grandest stage he didn't get it done. FFW to this year fresh off the super bowl performance and he hasn't looked like 2019 regular season Jimmy. Its a fact. If anything the fans are guilty of defending him to a fault. I don't get that take.

Local media has always defended him. Even Ray Ratto, who's the biggest pessimist of Bay Area sports had to defend him. It's only the mainstream media looking for retweets who've criticized him. And I've been asking this question since those playoff games and still never got an answer. If you can dominate a team by running the ball and they have zero ability to stop it WHY WOULD YOU EVER THROW IT????? Good lord

As far as the Super Bowl. Before the meltdown Jimmy was well on his way to becoming Super bowl MVP. Besides a pass where he badly missed a wide open Kittle in the middle of the field , he was damn near lights out, Jimmy and the Niners had KC dead to rights, and the Chiefs knew it. Sadly him along with the entire team completely fell apart after the 3rd & 15

Nice post but with one addition. Forgot to mention the helmet to helmet spear job by KC , a LB i think, while JG was on the ground. Not Called of course but when Jimmy looked downfield he saw 3 guys where there was one. He threw it to the wrong one of the 3 same guys. That isn't sour grapes it is what happened. And during his post game interview, he was obviously dingy. That helmet to helmet job was the difference. Damn shame.
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Sorry, he's the guy. and will be until shanahan says or eludes to otherwise.

It's not about what he says or alludes to. It's about having a better option.
[ Edited by random49er on Sep 30, 2020 at 9:47 PM ]
The fact that Kyle needs to answer questions about Jimmys job is a complete embarrassment and I blame the fans. We really need to get better as a fanbase

The blame is on Garoppolo for having an 2.8 passer rating in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl.
Here's how you know Garoppolo is at best above average:

How many fans are calling for the backup of:
Mahomes
Wilson
Rodgers
Brees
Watson
Jackson
Roethlesberger
Josh Allen

Zero.

Carr
Stafford

Fewer than the 49ers fans.

At the very best Garoppolo is on the Stafford/Carr level. If we had one great QB there would not be one single gripe. We don't.

Most of those staunchly supporting him fall into these categories:

(1) Accepting that QBs are hard to find, and getting an above average one is an windfall. The most reasonable group in this debate.

(2) Convinced somehow his "potential" will become real results (the quintessential trap GMs of bad franchises fall into before they get fired).

(3) Those suffering from "DELUSIONS!" (To be read in
Rober Patterson's voice in "Devil All Of the Times")

So what is Nick Mullens? He is the short term answer if Jittery Jimmy rears its ugly head for multiple games.

Neither one is the True answer at quarterback if the 49ers ever want to have an Great one.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It's part of the business - you play crappy, you get criticized.
When you´re the starting QB and you´re being compared to your backup that´s not a good sign for you.
Local media has always defended him. Even Ray Ratto, who's the biggest pessimist of Bay Area sports had to defend him. It's only the mainstream media looking for retweets who've criticized him. And I've been asking this question since those playoff games and still never got an answer. If you can dominate a team by running the ball and they have zero ability to stop it WHY WOULD YOU EVER THROW IT????? Good lord

As far as the Super Bowl. Before the meltdown Jimmy was well on his way to becoming Super bowl MVP. Besides a pass where he badly missed a wide open Kittle in the middle of the field , he was damn near lights out, Jimmy and the Niners had KC dead to rights, and the Chiefs knew it. Sadly him along with the entire team completely fell apart after the 3rd & 15

Excellent post.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Excellent post.

That's not how I see it. The Chiefs dared to make Jimmy beat them. It didn't work for 3 quarters but eventuallyit caught up to him.

They were not going to let us run it down their throats. Reid is a smart guy.

There were crucial plays in the first half on offense and defense that could have made it a blowout for us but we didn't go for the throat.

In the end the Chiefs strategy won out and Jimmy could not hold it together and did not play well enough in the first half to make the lead insurmountable.
People act like the missed pass to Sanders was a last second hail Mary that would have sealed the game.

People clearly forget that there was still plenty of time left on the clock, the chiefs had timeouts, and our defense couldn't stop a peewee football team at that point.

This doesn't absolve Jimmy of some bad passes towards the end there but let's not act like it wasn't a complete meltdown in all facets.

Hindsight tells me the chiefs would have gotten the ball back and more then likely marched it right down for the same result.

I believe in Jimmy. I don't know that he's the long term answer. This season should shed some light on it with the losses we've incurred. On that note, I absolutely do not believe Mullens is the answer. He's one of the best back ups in the league and probably a fringe starter. But we've seen what kind of results we'd get when he has to start long term. We end up with #2 picks.
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
never said he was...also never said to move on from him, that's a wait and see with this season IMO.

I did throw out the idea of moving Jimmy to say the Bears for a couple 2nd rd picks, tender Mullens (bridge QB), and use picks to move up and get a guy like Trey Lance who probably won't be a top 5 pick in this draft.

They would save over $50M in cap space over the next two yrs moving Jimmy & they could resign whomever and look at FAs. They would have a cheap QB for 4-5 yrs.

Do you believe in Jimmy or the system/HC? Do you believe enough in Jimmy to resign him to $30+M per season? Those are questions that need to be figured out in a yr or so.

Agree. Give Jimmy, at minimum, this year and see how he does with some nice young weapons at his side(Aiyuk Deebo).

How about what I've alternatively listed since I got over the SuperBowl?

Which is,....highlight areas and look for growth:

I have a couple to stare down at....nothing too serious or complex:

1) Testing areas down-the-field more often. He began to do so down the stretch with Arizona,...but that's only because we were losing by that point and in trouble. That and...

2) Taking needless coverage sacks when things aren't there.

We can argue back and forth about the strength of his arm and what's left in his body,...but these two areas are telltale signs of what's what. The only excuses for not testing open WRs down the field more, and not throwing the ball away more often, is that he has some serious concerns when it comes to either arm strength, nerves, preparation, and/or a mix of all 3.

None of us are QB whisperers or Bill Walsh or anything. But two easy areas to watch are those,...because you don't get caught up in the 11 of 12 in completions junk-talk that does nothing to give us any hope toward contending for a title.

Jimmy is going to keep showing to be a strong QB in most areas against crummy teams, IMO.

It is not a matter of an excuse based on him having serious concerns when it comes to arm strength, nerves, prep etc. Jimmy does not design nor call the plays. Shanahan does with maybe an A play and a B play for JG to decide on when they line up. Just because JG does not through long passes in games does not mean that JG makes some type of choice about it. Kyle makes the choice of what the play is and he might have just figured he will gain more with a short pass game and a running game.

Originally posted by Dsoto87:
People act like the missed pass to Sanders was a last second hail Mary that would have sealed the game.

People clearly forget that there was still plenty of time left on the clock, the chiefs had timeouts, and our defense couldn't stop a peewee football team at that point.

This doesn't absolve Jimmy of some bad passes towards the end there but let's not act like it wasn't a complete meltdown in all facets.

Hindsight tells me the chiefs would have gotten the ball back and more then likely marched it right down for the same result.

I believe in Jimmy. I don't know that he's the long term answer. This season should shed some light on it with the losses we've incurred. On that note, I absolutely do not believe Mullens is the answer. He's one of the best back ups in the league and probably a fringe starter. But we've seen what kind of results we'd get when he has to start long term. We end up with #2 picks.

Many have not figured out that Kyle designed that play and Saunders was not where he was meant to be. JG threw the ball to where Saunders was meant to be and did his job. Proof of this is that Saunders is no longer with us and Jimmy is.

As for the supposed other passes you forget the Oline was terrible in pass protection and was allowing a number of balls to be batted down as well as good secondary coverage by the Chiefs. There was one bad pass that was on Jimmy in that final 10. The other incompletions etc were on others.

But as you said there was a lot on the defence for letting the Chiefs get all those points on us in the last quarter. Jimmy is not responsible for poor defence. Salah is
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Excellent post.

That's not how I see it. The Chiefs dared to make Jimmy beat them. It didn't work for 3 quarters but eventuallyit caught up to him.

They were not going to let us run it down their throats. Reid is a smart guy.

There were crucial plays in the first half on offense and defense that could have made it a blowout for us but we didn't go for the throat.

In the end the Chiefs strategy won out and Jimmy could not hold it together and did not play well enough in the first half to make the lead insurmountable.

Oh I forgot Jimmy was in charge of the defense. Silly me.
Originally posted by Goatie:
Many have not figured out that Kyle designed that play and Saunders was not where he was meant to be. JG threw the ball to where Saunders was meant to be and did his job. Proof of this is that Saunders is no longer with us and Jimmy is.

As for the supposed other passes you forget the Oline was terrible in pass protection and was allowing a number of balls to be batted down as well as good secondary coverage by the Chiefs. There was one bad pass that was on Jimmy in that final 10. The other incompletions etc were on others.

But as you said there was a lot on the defence for letting the Chiefs get all those points on us in the last quarter. Jimmy is not responsible for poor defence. Salah is

There it is again, blaming Sanders for the overthrow because he wasn't where he supposed to be. One of the dumbest things I've ever heard on here. Who's responsible for the worst 4th QTR QB rating in SB history?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
never said he was...also never said to move on from him, that's a wait and see with this season IMO.

I did throw out the idea of moving Jimmy to say the Bears for a couple 2nd rd picks, tender Mullens (bridge QB), and use picks to move up and get a guy like Trey Lance who probably won't be a top 5 pick in this draft.

They would save over $50M in cap space over the next two yrs moving Jimmy & they could resign whomever and look at FAs. They would have a cheap QB for 4-5 yrs.

Do you believe in Jimmy or the system/HC? Do you believe enough in Jimmy to resign him to $30+M per season? Those are questions that need to be figured out in a yr or so.

Agree. Give Jimmy, at minimum, this year and see how he does with some nice young weapons at his side(Aiyuk Deebo).

How about what I've alternatively listed since I got over the SuperBowl?

Which is,....highlight areas and look for growth:

I have a couple to stare down at....nothing too serious or complex:

1) Testing areas down-the-field more often. He began to do so down the stretch with Arizona,...but that's only because we were losing by that point and in trouble. That and...

2) Taking needless coverage sacks when things aren't there.

We can argue back and forth about the strength of his arm and what's left in his body,...but these two areas are telltale signs of what's what. The only excuses for not testing open WRs down the field more, and not throwing the ball away more often, is that he has some serious concerns when it comes to either arm strength, nerves, preparation, and/or a mix of all 3.

None of us are QB whisperers or Bill Walsh or anything. But two easy areas to watch are those,...because you don't get caught up in the 11 of 12 in completions junk-talk that does nothing to give us any hope toward contending for a title.

Jimmy is going to keep showing to be a strong QB in most areas against crummy teams, IMO.
To throw deep you should have speedy WRs. I dont remember if Aiyuk played in game 1. I know deebo was out, and Jimmy doesn't trust Pettis. Bourne isn't a speedster like either Goodwin, Aiyuk or Deebo. Neither kittle or reed will wow any DB with their deep speed either, but they can get contested balls.

Second thing you need is good timing, and Jimmy had only two weeks to establish that timing and synchronicity with his receivers. Prior to that, it was training camp and no real preseason.

I think it was just rust and lack of reps. As Jimmy and that offense get more reps, and the recievers get healthier- the offense should pick up and put to rest the QB controversy. I am impressed with Mullens improvement though. He's (I think) 100% better than when he played in 2018. I think he's improved that much, and his arm strength was improved too.
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:

definitely would've gave the defense that extra motivation to seal the game for us. Kind of like how the chiefs defense played so motivated after taking the lead.
Share 49ersWebzone