LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 135 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
nice bro, how many Alex Smith jerseys you still have?

LOL zero... got Rice and Gore jerseys lining around somewhere. FWIW I never said Smith was some amazing QB, I was fine when he left.

Wife bought me a Kap jersey, I bought a Bowman jersey at one point then he blew out his knee. Almost got a Buck jersey cause I figured he was gonna be around for a while

after that it's all team hoodies and t-shirts. I'm done wasting cash on jerseys

lol just messin
Originally posted by NYniner85:
nice bro, how many Alex Smith jerseys you still have?

LOL zero... got Rice and Gore jerseys lining around somewhere. FWIW I never said Smith was some amazing QB, I was fine when he left.

Wife bought me a Kap jersey, I bought a Bowman jersey at one point then he blew out his knee. Almost got a Buck jersey cause I figured he was gonna be around for a while

after that it's all team hoodies and t-shirts. I'm done wasting cash on jerseys

lol just messin

Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by ChuckLeavy32:
The fact that Kyle needs to answer questions about Jimmys job is a complete embarrassment and I blame the fans. We really need to get better as a fanbase

Just a smarter fan base, it's ridiculous

Were the fans asking the question or were the beat writers and reporters?

Beat writers and reporters talk to fans all the time, usually ask them questions they would like coaches to answer

The media are the ones who have been referring to Jimmy as the weak link for quite sometime now. Let's stop acting like the fans are to blame.

Who? Screamin A Smith? None of the local reporters(Who actually watch the team up close) have ever talked bad about Jimmy except maybe Grant and we all know how most feel about him

I've seen plenty question His ability. Especially leading up to the biggest game of his life when he proved them right. He's a good Quarterback overall. Just not really what most would consider Great.

Again I ask, who? Not Maiocco, David Lombardi has always defended him from the weirdo fans. And these are people who are always around the team. Jimmy deserves blame for what happened with that 4th quarter but stop acting like he was covering the child beater on 3rd & 15 or it was his fault Richard Sherman was getting burnt in the endzone, or Kyle Shanahan decided to abandon what was working when it was time to put the game away.

I don't remember specifically. Just so called experts on social media.

And no one Is blaming Jimmy for what happened with the Defense towards the end of the game. But when they give you two more opportunities to score points with the Interceptions and you fail to capitalise, that's on the Qb.
Originally posted by Goatie:
Oh I forgot Jimmy was in charge of the defense. Silly me.

He certainly did keep them on the field though.
Originally posted by Gabberwocky:
Here's how you know Garoppolo is at best above average:

How many fans are calling for the backup of:
Mahomes
Wilson
Rodgers
Brees
Watson
Jackson
Roethlesberger
Josh Allen

Zero.

Carr
Stafford

Fewer than the 49ers fans.

At the very best Garoppolo is on the Stafford/Carr level. If we had one great QB there would not be one single gripe. We don't.

Most of those staunchly supporting him fall into these categories:

(1) Accepting that QBs are hard to find, and getting an above average one is an windfall. The most reasonable group in this debate.

(2) Convinced somehow his "potential" will become real results (the quintessential trap GMs of bad franchises fall into before they get fired).

(3) Those suffering from "DELUSIONS!" (To be read in
Rober Patterson's voice in "Devil All Of the Times")

So what is Nick Mullens? He is the short term answer if Jittery Jimmy rears its ugly head for multiple games.

Neither one is the True answer at quarterback if the 49ers ever want to have an Great one.
Because these fans aren't forty whiners. If a QB isn't Joe or Steve incarnate, we want to run them out of town.
Jimmy deserves the year to either win a SB or prove himself as a Pro Bowl quality QB. It's nice to get a glimpse of Mullens right now but people need to cool it no matter how well he plays. Even if we move on from Jimmy he's option b or c.
It is not a matter of an excuse based on him having serious concerns when it comes to arm strength, nerves, prep etc. Jimmy does not design nor call the plays. Shanahan does with maybe an A play and a B play for JG to decide on when they line up. Just because JG does not through long passes in games does not mean that JG makes some type of choice about it. Kyle makes the choice of what the play is and he might have just figured he will gain more with a short pass game and a running game.

Blaming Shanahan is the best way to lose credibility in this discussion. You realize we can look at the all 22 film and see multiple times of WRs open that Jimmy ignores. The notion that he is only allowed to throw to one guy is patently absurd.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Because these fans aren't forty whiners. If a QB isn't Joe or Steve incarnate, we want to run them out of town.

Let me rephrase that: each and every QB on the top list is unquestionably better than Garoppolo.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Blaming Shanahan is the best way to lose credibility in this discussion. You realize we can look at the all 22 film and see multiple times of WRs open that Jimmy ignores. The notion that he is only allowed to throw to one guy is patently absurd.

kyle could have called a better game vs the chiefs is all i am saying.. and he could have called a much better game when we lost to seattle last year. i did not see the arizona game so not sure if kyle could have done a better job there....... and in no way do i give jimmy a total pass for his below par game vs the chiefs and what sounds like a overall poor game vs the cards. but if you rip jimmy for the cards.. then you have to give him credit for playing well esp on a bad ankle vs the giants till he left. i am glad our team is in good hands against the average to less than average teams with nick as compared to cj and i am glad jimmy will be back sooner rather than later
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:

I think mosrt if not all fans understand that QBs like Montana and Young are rare. It's not that they dislike Jimmy because he isn't on their level. Most are responding to fans that believe Jimmy will get to that level with a little more experience or that he's really close already. That isn't the case and he never will reach their level. Please don't start with the stats since stats are really inflated in this all offense no defense era.

That doesn't mean that fans can't wish for someone better like a Mahomes, Wilson, Murray or some other young guy that has some real flash and potential to be great instead of just good. That said, we're probably going to have JG for some time so let's live with it and hope he can take us to another SB.

It is not a matter of an excuse based on him having serious concerns when it comes to arm strength, nerves, prep etc. Jimmy does not design nor call the plays. Shanahan does with maybe an A play and a B play for JG to decide on when they line up. Just because JG does not through long passes in games does not mean that JG makes some type of choice about it. Kyle makes the choice of what the play is and he might have just figured he will gain more with a short pass game and a running game.

You seem to forget about the fact that there was a big DL hovering around batting balls down and defenders running through our oline unblocked. You will remember one of our oline was shown the door straight after the Superbowl. But you just keep on hating Jimmy. That is the level of your objectivity and cred. Get of your high horse of finger pointing on cred buddy. Your's is zero
Originally posted by random49er:
Sorry, he's the guy. and will be until shanahan says or eludes to otherwise.

It's not about what he says or alludes to. It's about having a better option.

and he was asked about a better option, potentially being Nick Mullens, and he shut that s**t down. nothing more to discuss for now.

A coach would be a complete bonehead to suggest a "maybe" situation involving Mullens. Even if you're thinking about it, you don't say it until you're convinced you're ready to make the move. This is the rule.

AGAIN,....look for telltale signs if you want to know where this issue is headed. OF COURSE Jimmy is QB1 on this team,....until he's officially QB2. Don't waste board space talking about such silliness when a coach is always going to have things this way.

How about....instead....you look at how long he rests Jimmy? If Mullens has another good outing while Jimmy rests,....no big deal still.

If Mullens gets a 3rd consecutive game while Jimmy is again resting,....you'd better believe the HC is curious about the scenario. Things start getting iffy at that point.

My point is to ignore whether a coach is saying yes or no and instead follow what you're seeing on the field of play.
Sorry, he's the guy. and will be until shanahan says or eludes to otherwise.

It's not about what he says or alludes to. It's about having a better option.

and he was asked about a better option, potentially being Nick Mullens, and he shut that s**t down. nothing more to discuss for now.

A coach would be a complete bonehead to suggest a "maybe" situation involving Mullens. Even if you're thinking about it, you don't say it until you're convinced you're ready to make the move. This is the rule.

AGAIN,....look for telltale signs if you want to know where this issue is headed. OF COURSE Jimmy is QB1 on this team,....until he's officially QB2. Don't waste board space talking about such silliness when a coach is always going to have things this way.

How about....instead....you look at how long he rests Jimmy? If Mullens has another good outing while Jimmy rests,....no big deal still.

If Mullens gets a 3rd consecutive game while Jimmy is again resting,....you'd better believe the HC is curious about the scenario. Things start getting iffy at that point.

My point is to ignore whether a coach is saying yes or no and instead follow what you're seeing on the field of play.

compared to what fans on this board say, I'll listen to what Shanahan says. he has always kept it real and is pretty honest about his players and being outspoken with them. thanks for chiming in though
You seem to forget about the fact that there was a big DL hovering around batting balls down and defenders running through our oline unblocked. You will remember one of our oline was shown the door straight after the Superbowl. But you just keep on hating Jimmy. That is the level of your objectivity and cred. Get of your high horse of finger pointing on cred buddy. Your's is zero

This video here reveals the truth in ways not even you can deny it. Krueger here might speak with lisps, but he's very perceptive and shows it on the film where it's impossible to deny. Let me say it again: the film is clear as day and undeniable. I dare you to watch this and blame anyone more than Jimmy G.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k8_bfe2Q6lU
[ Edited by Gabberwocky on Oct 1, 2020 at 10:41 AM ]
compared to what fans on this board say, I'll listen to what Shanahan says. he has always kept it real and is pretty honest about his players and being outspoken with them. thanks for chiming in though

1) Are you saying you'd legitimately expect Shanahan to say "I dunno who's going to be our starter. I'm still thinking about it",.....or....."let's see how Mullens does this next game before I can tell you which way I'm leaning".....??

You really expect that? C'mon. This is not a "well but my coach Shanahan...." issue. This is ANY legit coach. They don't start needless controversies in the press midseason.

2) Beyond that,...Shanahan has been the opposite of honest when it comes to giving opponents an idea of what we want to do. He's kept things under wraps as long as possible from my vantage point. If there's no need to give early clues on his decisions or show his hand, he doesn't.

Riding on underperformers like Pettis in the media is a different situation entirely, and should not make you completely lose focus of the obvious things said above.
[ Edited by random49er on Oct 1, 2020 at 10:36 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone