LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 116 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Thanos89:
Originally posted by Ark49er:
You are dead wrong about Steve Smith, dead wrong. He's by far one of the most unbiased commentators among the former players out there and he knows his stuff. It's a no nonsense tell it like it is approach that's refreshing.

......yeah no I really don't think so. He's definitely not the most biased or outlandish....but there are a lot of guys who are better than him ex the guys who take the time to watch film and not say things out of there asses Baldinger, Simms, Cossel etc. And of course the best in the business Jonneydel and THL

Those guys do things their way and Smith does things his way. Again his job is not the same as Baldy who is better than all the guys you names above. Smith is there to do exactly what he does and that's be unbiased, no nonsense, and find the hard working underdog that can raise above expectations just like he did as a player. I also guarantee you Baldinger, Simms, and Cossel have tremendous amount of respect for Smith if you ask them
Originally posted by BumCity:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Damn, Steve Smith just threw more shade on Jimmy on Thursday Night Football pre-game. Said something like Jimmy just dinks and dunks easy throws but Nick Mullens throws dimes

Ouch. You've gotta respect Smith. Not a lot of analysts are willing to just tell it like it is.

jimmy took chances in 2017
as soon as he got paid n injured he just fell to a comfort place, where he plays it safe
Damn even Brett Rypien is out here tearing up the Jets. I really want to see how this team looks beyond 5.

Edit: Well I spoke too soon, and posted on the wrong thread lol
[ Edited by S41MAN on Oct 1, 2020 at 8:04 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I just want to see Jimmy show more consistency and take care of the ball better.

This year will be a big test for him either way Imo.

Oh that's where I'm at...this is his season be more consistent and improve overall. take that next step.

if not, he might be who he is at this point...which isn't an awful thing he's a good QB currently. Not sure you restructure or give him an extension though.

if he shows consistency, improvement and the ability to strike deep, I think Kyle will sign him long-term and restructure that contract like you said previously. Its kind of like 2017, in a sense, a prove it year. Also, I think there is an assumption that he will be able to do so, with the addition of Aiyuk to the WR corps and the marginalizing of Pettis. In other words, I think if Kyle thought Jimmy was the problem, he'd have put more effort in getting more QB competition for Mullens, BeatHard and Jimmy in the offseason. Instead, they cut undrafted free agent Brock Rutter almost as soon as they signed him.

Totally... Consistency, Improvements and the ability to strike deep are what we're hoping for this year, or it may be his last season with the Niners.

When a QB has just taken your team to the super bowl, it takes more than one bad year for a team to move on from that QB.

As for Jimmy's deep strike, he needs WR's he can trust in to play good DB if its a contested catch and he under throws it, or isn't quite where the pass is supposed to be. He needs to have confidence that if he throws it, he can cut loose because he knows the WR can catch up to the ball. He doesn't have to worry about throwing it on a dime too often. All that takes a bit of time and some WR talent. I think he has two WRs that meet that criteria in Aiyuk and Deebo. All Jimmy needs now is the reps, unfortunately he's injured and those reps will have to wait a bit.

Those valuable reps are going to Mullens and just might slow Jimmys development, but it can't be helped. The ankle will heal at its own pace, and hopefully Nick slaughters the Eagles and gets us first round pick next year.
Originally posted by Goatie:
I would bet my house Jimmy would have no problem throwing the ball right in his mouth if given the opportunity

Lol and I would bet mine that Steve Smith would whoop his ass for doing it

Jimmy would piss himself at thought of Steve Smith ever being mad at him. Smith would kill him within in seconds

Meh Jimmy would show how mobile he can be when he puts his mind to it and beat Smith by at least 3 backyards.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Come on Jimmy boy come out and play.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Nah, saving him for the real games after next week.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BumCity:
Damn, Steve Smith just threw more shade on Jimmy on Thursday Night Football pre-game. Said something like Jimmy just dinks and dunks easy throws but Nick Mullens throws dimes

Ouch. You've gotta respect Smith. Not a lot of analysts are willing to just tell it like it is.

The missed potential game winning TD throw to Bourne in the AZ game wasn't a dink kind of pass, and the missed throw to Trent (to try to convert a 4th down) was outside the hashmarks and not a dunk, for sure. Both misses were just a tad late or a tad off. Nothing more reps can't solve. I'm not too worried about Jimmy G. yet. As others have said, I'm looking forward to Mullens and how he does against the Iggles, and am looking forward to a 100% healthy and mobile Jimmy for those NFC West games in November.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by mayo49:

Nah, saving him for the real games after next week.

I just want to see Jimmy show more consistency and take care of the ball better.

Oh that's where I'm at...this is his season be more consistent and improve overall. take that next step.

if not, he might be who he is at this point...which isn't an awful thing he's a good QB currently. Not sure you restructure or give him an extension though.

if he shows consistency, improvement and the ability to strike deep, I think Kyle will sign him long-term and restructure that contract like you said previously. Its kind of like 2017, in a sense, a prove it year. Also, I think there is an assumption that he will be able to do so, with the addition of Aiyuk to the WR corps and the marginalizing of Pettis. In other words, I think if Kyle thought Jimmy was the problem, he'd have put more effort in getting more QB competition for Mullens, BeatHard and Jimmy in the offseason. Instead, they cut undrafted free agent Brock Rutter almost as soon as they signed him.

I mean if he does all that we have a FQB lol. They would restructure his deal. I don't think cutting Rutter or not bringing in some big name QB means anything in regards to how they feel about Jimmy (even though the did look into Brady).

He just went to the SB and this is his team in 2020...beyond this yr, that it's up to Jimmy.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

I mean if he does all that we have a FQB lol. They would restructure his deal. I don't think cutting Rutter or not bringing in some big name QB means anything in regards to how they feel about Jimmy (even though the did look into Brady).

He just went to the SB and this is his team in 2020...beyond this yr, that it's up to Jimmy.

Agree. My bet is that he develops that long ball offense once he and Aiyuk get their timing and chemistry down. It doesn't help that Jimmy is injured right now, but I think long term it helps the team overall in that we might get a good draft pick if Mullens is traded (and assuming Nick torches the Eagles). I think you have to give Jimmy about a game or two to develop that chemistry with Aiyuk, and reestablish that chemistry with DeeBo. Which is about where he should be when the November Western Division games start in about a month or less. If this offense develops along the lines of the '94 offense and our defense can at least slow the other Western Division offenses somewhat, I think there's a decent shot at a wildcard playoff spot for us.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

lol i guess he doesn't watch any niner games

Absolutely loved him as a player, but he's not good in the media, like at all
You are dead wrong about Steve Smith, dead wrong. He's by far one of the most unbiased commentators among the former players out there and he knows his stuff. It's a no nonsense tell it like it is approach that's refreshing.

Steve Smith takes a no nonsense approach but it doesn't mean he knows his stuff.

Either that or his definition of dink and dunk is completely different than most peoples.

Jimmy doesn't air it out like Wilson or Mahomes but his bread and butter is intermediate passes.
Steve Smith knows his stuff.
Originally posted by random49er:
Steve Smith knows his stuff.
"His Stuff", not much of anyone elses
steve smith missed the niners saints gsme
Share 49ersWebzone