There are 236 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
I just want to see Jimmy show more consistency and take care of the ball better.

This year will be a big test for him either way Imo.

Oh that's where I'm at...this is his season be more consistent and improve overall. take that next step.

if not, he might be who he is at this point...which isn't an awful thing he's a good QB currently. Not sure you restructure or give him an extension though.

if he shows consistency, improvement and the ability to strike deep, I think Kyle will sign him long-term and restructure that contract like you said previously. Its kind of like 2017, in a sense, a prove it year. Also, I think there is an assumption that he will be able to do so, with the addition of Aiyuk to the WR corps and the marginalizing of Pettis. In other words, I think if Kyle thought Jimmy was the problem, he'd have put more effort in getting more QB competition for Mullens, BeatHard and Jimmy in the offseason. Instead, they cut undrafted free agent Brock Rutter almost as soon as they signed him.

I mean if he does all that we have a FQB lol. They would restructure his deal. I don't think cutting Rutter or not bringing in some big name QB means anything in regards to how they feel about Jimmy (even though the did look into Brady).

He just went to the SB and this is his team in 2020...beyond this yr, that it's up to Jimmy.

Agree. My bet is that he develops that long ball offense once he and Aiyuk get their timing and chemistry down. It doesn't help that Jimmy is injured right now, but I think long term it helps the team overall in that we might get a good draft pick if Mullens is traded (and assuming Nick torches the Eagles). I think you have to give Jimmy about a game or two to develop that chemistry with Aiyuk, and reestablish that chemistry with DeeBo. Which is about where he should be when the November Western Division games start in about a month or less. If this offense develops along the lines of the '94 offense and our defense can at least slow the other Western Division offenses somewhat, I think there's a decent shot at a wildcard playoff spot for us.

These are things that are so often overlooked because of the highlights.
When Mahomes came in, he had sat for a year, practiced for a year and had 2 off-seasons with the same offensive personnel that had been there the year before and has kept the corps of his downfield targets. He had a couple years of practice and tape to watch how Hill ran routes in their system. When he's had pieces added, like Sammy Watkins, it was after he had played a lot of football and gained chemistry with other guys.

Same with all the quarterbacks you see drop dimes on deep fades. That takes a lot of work together. You don't see Aaron Rodgers drop nearly as many since he's had all the WR turnover in GB, same with Drew Brees, same with Tom Brady now in TB.
Wilson has had YEARS with Lockett and is in his 2nd season with MetCalf who ran like 3 routes last year.

Russel Wilson didn't drop dimes on fades for years in Seattle. He was always, drop back, run around for 18 seconds then hit a guy he found somewhere. He's in his 10th season and 3rd straight season under the same OC with the same offensive weapons and hasn't missed a game in those 3 years. That's a lot of football and practice with the same, highly talented guys.

But to Mahomes, it's also not like every big play he has he throws an absolute dime:

I expect Jimmy's timing and chemistry with Deebo to be real high level. If it's not, then we can raise the alarm. But, look at Jimmy's chemistry and accuracy with targets who've been around for more than one season who are highly talented:
George Kittle
[ Edited by jonnydel on Oct 2, 2020 at 9:23 AM ]
I mean if he does all that we have a FQB lol. They would restructure his deal. I don't think cutting Rutter or not bringing in some big name QB means anything in regards to how they feel about Jimmy (even though the did look into Brady).

He just went to the SB and this is his team in 2020...beyond this yr, that it's up to Jimmy.

I agree with your last sentence. And I'm in the corner of firmly believing he'll do that - continue to show this is his team beyond this year - in being this team's franchise QB.

In your first paragraph, you've said this before in other posts: "Even though they did look into Brady." They better have at least have "looked" into Brady, and they did. When one of the greatest to ever to play the QB position becomes available and can still play at his older age, combined with him growing up a fan of the Niners and rumblings you hear that Brady wouldn't mind joining the Niners (who knows if true), of course you're at least going to "look into Brady." Especially if you have a roster like the Niners that gives you a good chance vs. any team. With all these factors plus having Shanahan as HC, I could easily see why Brady would be interested in coming back home and joining the Niners at this stage of his career.

Given all of this, if the Niners didn't look into Brady, they would not be doing their proper due diligence as a franchise IMO. Now if you're the Packers with Rodgers or the Saints with Brees, we know you're not looking into Brady. But if you're a team like the Niners or Titans (rumors were there w/ the Vrabel connection) and you have younger QBs in terms of NFL starting experience & overall success, you should at least look into Brady. Also, in doing so, the Niners were completely transparent about it with Garoppolo as I've heard a few times from each of Shanahan, Lynch, and Garoppolo.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

I expect Jimmy's timing and chemistry with Deebo to be real high level. If it's not, then we can raise the alarm. But, look at Jimmy's chemistry and accuracy with targets who've been around for more than one season who are highly talented:
George Kittle

Ah yes, his accuracy with the guy he got injured by throwing the ball 5 feet over his head.
Originally posted by BumCity:

George Kittle

Ah yes, his accuracy with the guy he got injured by throwing the ball 5 feet over his head.

I know we've never seen Mahomes miss Kelce or Hill right?
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Ark49er:
You are dead wrong about Steve Smith, dead wrong. He's by far one of the most unbiased commentators among the former players out there and he knows his stuff. It's a no nonsense tell it like it is approach that's refreshing.

Well I obviously disagree. You are correct in the unbiased and no nonsense tell it like it is, but some of the things he says make no sense as well. You ever hear him at the combine?
Yes and he usually has an eye for talent that most talking heads almost always overlook. By him being an underdog most of his life, Smith looks for guys that will out play where most draft gurus project. He's really good at scouting WRs. He was higher on Deebo Samuels and Brandon Aiyuk more then anybody else out there before they proved it on the field.

The problem is people get butt hurt because if he talks down on their man crush. It is what it is but a guy like Steve Smith is a refreshing voice and approach that we fans need. Lol he will also openly call out other commentators and former NFL players right to their face on live TV when they get out of line. Nobody f**ks with Smith, not Deon Sanders, Skip Bayless, Steven A Smith, or crazy Michael Irvin. They know Smith will beat that ass.

There are valid criticisms to be had of Jimmy. Saying he dinks and dunks isn't one of them.

I love Steve Smith and appreciate his take on things because he isn't afraid to speak his mind but just cuz a guy isn't afraid to say something edgy doesn't mean he's right.

Honestly for the people watching Jimmy play how can you claim he dinks and dunks? Is your definition of dinking and dunking not throwing deep? Because that's not what that means.

The whole infatuation with the deep ball is funny to me. I get it...it's f**king awesome to see a deep bomb connected but end of the day air yards aren't worth more. Longer TD passes aren't worth more.

I care about consistency and production - whether it's 15 play drives or 5 play drives or 1 play drives...get the TD. And if i have a choice I'm taking the 15 play TD drive over the quicker drives(unless you're down late of course)

Deep passing as has been mentioned is very much a timing/trust situation. Not everyone can launch the ball 50+ yards down the field with ease but we've seen plenty of big arm QBs suck at throwing deep.

Jimmy just needs to work on his timing and consistency with his mechanics because when his mechanics are on point it leads to good things.
I just want to see Jimmy show more consistency and take care of the ball better.

Oh that's where I'm at...this is his season be more consistent and improve overall. take that next step.

if not, he might be who he is at this point...which isn't an awful thing he's a good QB currently. Not sure you restructure or give him an extension though.

if he shows consistency, improvement and the ability to strike deep, I think Kyle will sign him long-term and restructure that contract like you said previously. Its kind of like 2017, in a sense, a prove it year. Also, I think there is an assumption that he will be able to do so, with the addition of Aiyuk to the WR corps and the marginalizing of Pettis. In other words, I think if Kyle thought Jimmy was the problem, he'd have put more effort in getting more QB competition for Mullens, BeatHard and Jimmy in the offseason. Instead, they cut undrafted free agent Brock Rutter almost as soon as they signed him.

Totally... Consistency, Improvements and the ability to strike deep are what we're hoping for this year, or it may be his last season with the Niners.

When a QB has just taken your team to the super bowl, it takes more than one bad year for a team to move on from that QB.

As for Jimmy's deep strike, he needs WR's he can trust in to play good DB if its a contested catch and he under throws it, or isn't quite where the pass is supposed to be. He needs to have confidence that if he throws it, he can cut loose because he knows the WR can catch up to the ball. He doesn't have to worry about throwing it on a dime too often. All that takes a bit of time and some WR talent. I think he has two WRs that meet that criteria in Aiyuk and Deebo. All Jimmy needs now is the reps, unfortunately he's injured and those reps will have to wait a bit.

Those valuable reps are going to Mullens and just might slow Jimmys development, but it can't be helped. The ankle will heal at its own pace, and hopefully Nick slaughters the Eagles and gets us first round pick next year.

" When a QB has just taken your team to the super bowl, it takes more than one bad year for a team to move on from that QB.

As for Jimmy's deep strike, he needs WR's he can trust in to play good DB if its a contested catch and he under throws it, or isn't quite where the pass is supposed to be."

Sorry but it doesn't seem like common sense like your statement above is a trait of some of these clowns posting on here.

You have some still butt-hurt over "how the organization treated Alex & Kap.. you have some that "aren't impressed with Jimmys comeback wins because either we were not down enough or his throws weren't "exciting" enough"... and that same dude posts that "jimmy working his way down the field just isn't electric or dynamic enough when he wins games like wilson & mahomes".

My favorite are people posting s**t how jimmy isn't close to Rodgers or wilson or Ryan, etc yet don't quite understand HOW MANY MORE GAMES those players have played over jimmy. That seems to be irrelevant to the conversations.

Yea it's f**kin Barnum and Bailey around here cause the circus is in town with the clowns.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by BumCity:
George Kittle

I know we've never seen Mahomes miss Kelce or Hill right?

We've never seen him Get Kelce killed

Totally... Consistency, Improvements and the ability to strike deep are what we're hoping for this year, or it may be his last season with the Niners.

When a QB has just taken your team to the super bowl, it takes more than one bad year for a team to move on from that QB.

As for Jimmy's deep strike, he needs WR's he can trust in to play good DB if its a contested catch and he under throws it, or isn't quite where the pass is supposed to be. He needs to have confidence that if he throws it, he can cut loose because he knows the WR can catch up to the ball. He doesn't have to worry about throwing it on a dime too often. All that takes a bit of time and some WR talent. I think he has two WRs that meet that criteria in Aiyuk and Deebo. All Jimmy needs now is the reps, unfortunately he's injured and those reps will have to wait a bit.

Those valuable reps are going to Mullens and just might slow Jimmys development, but it can't be helped. The ankle will heal at its own pace, and hopefully Nick slaughters the Eagles and gets us first round pick next year.

Jimmy played his part last season no doubt, but I wouldn't give him too much credit for us reaching the super bowl last year either. Neither am I saying they'll move on from Jimmy.

I truly believe Kyle wants to see some Improvement From His Qb this reason before they make a full Investment by giving Jimbo a contract extension. To me, Jimmy has alot to prove this year, and he's not got of to the best of starts by losing to the Cards and now being Injured. Let's just hope this Injury doesn't linger on for too long.
[ Edited by Sickaa on Oct 2, 2020 at 11:03 AM ]
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

I agree with your last sentence. And I'm in the corner of firmly believing he'll do that - continue to show this is his team beyond this year - in being this team's franchise QB.

In your first paragraph, you've said this before in other posts: "Even though they did look into Brady." They better have at least have "looked" into Brady, and they did. When one of the greatest to ever to play the QB position becomes available and can still play at his older age, combined with him growing up a fan of the Niners and rumblings you hear that Brady wouldn't mind joining the Niners (who knows if true), of course you're at least going to "look into Brady." Especially if you have a roster like the Niners that gives you a good chance vs. any team. With all these factors plus having Shanahan as HC, I could easily see why Brady would be interested in coming back home and joining the Niners at this stage of his career.

Given all of this, if the Niners didn't look into Brady, they would not be doing their proper due diligence as a franchise IMO. Now if you're the Packers with Rodgers or the Saints with Brees, we know you're not looking into Brady. But if you're a team like the Niners or Titans (rumors were there w/ the Vrabel connection) and you have younger QBs in terms of NFL starting experience & overall success, you should at least look into Brady. Also, in doing so, the Niners were completely transparent about it with Garoppolo as I've heard a few times from each of Shanahan, Lynch, and Garoppolo.

If you have an actual FQB and they're not old as dirt you're not looking into Brady...the fact that SF looked into it shows that they WILL upgrade at any position.

Jimmy is the guy this yr and they ultimately felt that way because they didn't sign Brady (we all know if SF wanted Brady he would be the guy right now)...After this season it's not a conclusion that Jimmy will be the starter. He's gotta show that he can be more consistent. He's gotta show he's improving...if he doesn't do that (including stay healthy) don't be shocked if there are changes.
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
" When a QB has just taken your team to the super bowl, it takes more than one bad year for a team to move on from that QB.

As for Jimmy's deep strike, he needs WR's he can trust in to play good DB if its a contested catch and he under throws it, or isn't quite where the pass is supposed to be."

Sorry but it doesn't seem like common sense like your statement above is a trait of some of these clowns posting on here.

You have some still butt-hurt over "how the organization treated Alex & Kap.. you have some that "aren't impressed with Jimmys comeback wins because either we were not down enough or his throws weren't "exciting" enough"... and that same dude posts that "jimmy working his way down the field just isn't electric or dynamic enough when he wins games like wilson & mahomes".

My favorite are people posting s**t how jimmy isn't close to Rodgers or wilson or Ryan, etc yet don't quite understand HOW MANY MORE GAMES those players have played over jimmy. That seems to be irrelevant to the conversations.

Yea it's f**kin Barnum and Bailey around here cause the circus is in town with the clowns.

Relax bruh. We all want Jimmy to succeed ( most of us do anyway ). But he has alot of room for Improvement. The fact he still struggles with Deep passes and throwing outside the numbers is still concerning imo.

Well I can't speak for anyone else, I'm just looking at it objectively.

He's a good, not great QB. He COULD be more consistent. He is for sure the QB1 on this roster right now. He's got s**t to work on...we're yr 7 into his career and after this yr how many more seasons do you give him before we say this is who he is? A good not elite QB... He's got basically no GTD cash left. SF is gonna have to figure out what to do with his contract this off season the cap is tight and we have a lot of FAs.

Do we think this offense could be better with a different QB? I think that's a fair question...

Jimmy runs this scheme well, is a leader, and wins a bunch of games, whether it's because of him or the rooster/coaching staff... that's more of a week to week breakdown imo.

I'll root for Jimmy as long as he's a Niner. We're competitive every week with him...we also shouldn't be just happy with that. Wouldn't it be great to KNOW we have one of the best QBs on our team every week? We will see, hopefully when he gets back out there he can crush it
Originally posted by susweel:
So it looks like Jimmy is still not" "healthy'

correct. if he was healthy enough to practice, he would be.
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by susweel:
So it looks like Jimmy is still not" "healthy'

correct. if he was healthy enough to practice, he would be.

We hope it's not a lingering Issue.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

If you have an actual FQB and they're not old as dirt you're not looking into Brady...the fact that SF looked into it shows that they WILL upgrade at any position.

Jimmy is the guy this yr and they ultimately felt that way because they didn't sign Brady (we all know if SF wanted Brady he would be the guy right now)...After this season it's not a conclusion that Jimmy will be the starter. He's gotta show that he can be more consistent. He's gotta show he's improving...if he doesn't do that (including stay healthy) don't be shocked if there are changes.

I get what you're saying. I hope you're not disappointed they looked into Brady. To me, doing so doesn't represent a lack of faith in Garoppolo. It's just having a conversation with one of the all-time greats (if not THE - tough for me in watching Montana all those years) when someone like Brady becomes available and again, this team's particular situation right now.

Back to my reply here, I'll stand by it. The fact that the Niners are always looking to upgrade at positions, always looking to get better, is something that excites me as a fan of the team. I'm hoping, going forward, that Garoppolo continues to improve and will show throughout this year that he continues to be the guy at QB and they don't need to upgrade the position. I think he'll prove that and looking forward to seeing it play out on the field.

What we maybe can agree on right now: With the way Mullens can step in and perform in this offense as a backup QB, the Niners have one of the top QB situations in the NFL. It goes without saying that Mullens has to keep it up if he's called upon again vs. the Eagles. I like what he's shown so far along with the feedback you hear from his teammates about him, his command of the offense and in the huddle, etc.

I'm looking forward to Garoppolo returning soon but in the meantime, hoping Mullens can keep it up.

Relax bruh. We all want Jimmy to succeed ( most of us do anyway ). But he has alot of room for Improvement. The fact he still struggles with Deep passes and throwing outside the numbers is still concerning imo.

Where is he struggling with this? In general those passes aren't as easy to make. Our offense doesn't call for a lot of those throws by design and by player talent.
Share 49ersWebzone