LISTEN: The Best Of The 49ers Webzone: No Huddle Podcast →

There are 157 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by random49er:

They're littering Tampa Bay boards as well. Solid work mate. Let us know if you find any more Patriots in disguise here Goatie.

Goatie knows it's all tongue and cheek. When everyone isin't on board, it has to be a conspiracy. Herd mentality 101.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Or Jimmy had a MASSIVE part in that happening as well lol. was he not known for that in 2017 as well? this is not one of the reasons we all fell in love with the guy for a short period

God it was so refreshing to have confidence in third and longs again.

I actually think it had more to do with the fact that he was much more willing than previous quarterbacks to make attempts throwing the ball into tighter windows.

perhaps that's what stood out to me (or us) the most?

either way, comparatively, you could say that the reason he was also top five was because of more attempts or his willingness vs what we've had for the past decade

His passing attempts are literally the one of the shortest in the league in 2019, especially on 3rd downs. I wouldn't call that a willingness to throw into tight windows.

At this pt who cares about 2017...that was 3 yrs ago and like 4 meaningful games

Hey I'll gladly eat crow if he comes back and balls out. Actually throws it downfield and wins games because of his arm.

because he was CONSISTENT in 2019 like he was in 2017 in

A. 4th quarter comebacks leading to a win with either a FG or a TD B. consistency in converting 3rd downs

who cares how many yards it took to do so. the point is it was a huge difference compared to the years with Alex and Kap prior. you honestly dont attribute our increased 3rd down success rate to the QB? just the players 'catching' it around him?

seriously get off the whole air yards crap. the point is we were wildly more consistent in moving the chains than we had been in a while.

I was almost certain this was an aspect of Jimmy EVERYONE agreed on that was a refreshing change after 3rd and 7+ felt IMPOSSIBLE to convert with gun-shy /hesitant QB'ing

People look for obscure stats to fit their narrative.

yeah like WTF? I remember when 3rd & 10 felt damn near impossible to convert. the 49ers gave Jimmy a contract because of his ability to win in the 4th quarter and convert 3rd downs. we had never had that CONSISTENTLY in god I how long?

and he continued to do that in 2019 all year in the regular season.

with Jimmy on 3rd and long I actually had a sense of confidence. and holy s**t did he come through in games like vs. TNF ARI last year, and the Rams game last year as examples. 2 3rd& 16's in a row lol.
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Dec 1, 2020 at 3:40 PM ]
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
It's been 2 months and people are still arguing about the same thing in here. There's no changing of each other's minds no matter what point you're tryna prove. The nitpicking is the most irritating part. Y'all just gotta agree to disagree and move on.

Boredom elsewhere must be why people avoid the obvious.
Alright, Alright,...looks like I'm gonna have to FORCE this 3rd down issue back towards the select few that do nothing but highlight it over, and over, and over again, suggesting it was some great feat and/or a clear sign of a very, very good QB.

Until legit analytics are brought to the table, you're just very very determined to have this 3rd down stat make the whole argument for you, instead of the eye test everyone had that suggests you're maybe overdoing it. So let's look at 3rd and longs....

but doesn't matter, we converted more 3rd downs with him at QB as an offense better than we had in over a decade time and time again.

What do you mean? You had one of the best in the NFL in 2017 on 3rd and longs too!! A couple clues tho,...he's STILL on the team, and his name's not Garoppolo.

Here is Jimmy's banner year of 2019 but look at who else is on the list floating around.

Some have said "I cant wait till Garoppolo gets back to his 3rd down magic" but look who's "killing it" in 2020,...I guess....
(p.s.,...wasn't the guy who's #2 benched for Alex Smith?)

I guess Haskins has arrived, and Jimmy has been dominant this year -- even amid all of our complaining?

As I said to Sky,...what was he longing for talking about "finally!" for last year??? Oh please.... He had it in 2017 right here in Santa Clara with this guy....

And lastly,...2018's top All-Pro,....the TRUE KING of 3rd and Longs for a season,...of the last 4 seasons! The only guy to hit @ 50%!!! Guess who?

Lol that's right!! Famous Jameis (while Drew Brees and Mullens were notted up at 10th,...lol)!!! 50%....f**k! Why don't we trade for him now??

Look guys,...Look. There are laughers all over this list when we sit and evaluate things,....which tells me 1 thing: It's far,....FAR too low of a threshold to correlate to anything worthwhile,...especially on its on, like you keep attempting to do. With great QBs bottoming out and near-nobodies Top 10 if not leading the stat altogether, it's just a horribly, horribly inconsistent barometer where everyone but the other-wordly pine rider that's now in his prime -- Jameis Winston -- was under 50%.

Obscure stats are truly meant to be put together with legit evidence and looked at. PLEASE,...I beg of you...stop using this stat to build your case. The data above says you gotta find something else.
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 1, 2020 at 3:57 PM ]

A. 4th quarter comebacks leading to a win with either a FG or a TD B. consistency in converting 3rd downs

who cares how many yards it took to do so. the point is it was a huge difference compared to the years with Alex and Kap prior. you honestly dont attribute our increased 3rd down success rate to the QB? just the players 'catching' it around him?

seriously get off the whole air yards crap. the point is we were wildly more consistent in moving the chains than we had been in a while.

I was almost certain this was an aspect of Jimmy EVERYONE agreed on that was a refreshing change after 3rd and 7+ felt IMPOSSIBLE to convert with gun-shy /hesitant QB'ing

I agree it was refreshing to not see complete s**t play at QB. We went from Hoyer/gabbert to Jimmy...massive upgrade.

That's said I'm not gonna say he was some elite force at QB who was the reason we went to the SB. He played his part no doubt. He was helped out tremendously by all the YAC, play calling, run game and defense. I see no problem with acknowledging all of that?

I also see no problem will realizing he's not some elite QB and he limits what this offense can do overall. I think there's room for an upgrade.

I have no idea where you stand on all this, you argue with me then I see you posting how you want an upgrade.
Alright, Alright,...looks like I'm gonna have to FORCE this 3rd down issue back towards the select few that do nothing but highlight it over, and over, and over again, suggesting it was some great feat and/or a clear sign of a very, very good QB.

Until legit analytics are brought to the table, you're just very very determined to have this 3rd down stat make the whole argument for you, instead of the eye test everyone had that suggests you're maybe overdoing it. So let's look at 3rd and longs....

but doesn't matter, we converted more 3rd downs with him at QB as an offense better than we had in over a decade time and time again.

What do you mean? You had one of the best in the NFL in 2017 on 3rd and longs too!! A couple clues tho,...he's STILL on the team, and his name's not Garoppolo.

Here is Jimmy's banner year of 2019 but look at who else is on the list floating around.

Some have said "I cant wait till Garoppolo gets back to his 3rd down magic" but look who's "killing it" in 2020,...I guess....
(p.s.,...wasn't the guy who's #2 benched for Alex Smith?)

I guess Haskins has arrived, and Jimmy has been dominant this year -- even amid all of our complaining?

As I said to Sky,...what was he longing for talking about "finally!" for last year??? Oh please.... He had it in 2017 right here in Santa Clara with this guy....

And lastly,...2018's top All-Pro,....the TRUE KING of 3rd and Longs for a season,...of the last 4 seasons? The only guy to hit @ 50%!!! Guess who?

Lol that's right!! Famous Jameis (while Drew Brees and Mullens were notted up at 10th,...lol)!!! 50%....f**k! Why don't we trade for him now??

Look guys,...Look. There are laughers all over this list when we sit and evaluate things,....which tells me 1 thing: It's far,....FAR too low of a threshold to correlate to anything worthwhile,...especially on its on, like you keep attempting to do. With great QBs bottoming out and near-nobodies Top 10 if not leading the stat altogether, it's just a horribly, horribly inconsistent barometer where everyone but the other-wordly pine rider that's now in his prime -- Jameis Winston -- was under 50%.

Obscure stats are truly meant to be put together with legit evidence and looked at. PLEASE,...I beg of you...stop using this stat to build your case. The data above says you gotta find something else.

im talking about in comparing to previous QB's on the 49ers. THE 49ERS. lol.

2017 JG & 2019 JG vs. years 2003-16.

thanks for wasting your time lol. he was top 5 in the league for a reason, but more comparatively because our previous QB's were such dogs**t and as I said, 3rd and Long felt damn near impossible until JG came under center. what's so hard to understand about what im saying?

yes I brought up the "top 5 part"

but I never said i was comparing JG to the rest of the league in meaning he was a top 5 QB or some s**t because of that stat

suggesting it was some great feat and/or a clear sign of a very, very good QB.

YES, in comparison to our QB's we had in SAN FRANCISCO years prior! lol.

SO much better.
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Dec 1, 2020 at 3:57 PM ]
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Ahhh it absolutely explains it, if you read the description of what the stats mean.

Basically our playmakers made a ton of plays with the ball in their hands. Kittle/Deebo were two of the highest YAC receivers in football last yr, just about every catch Bourne made went for a 1st down. I mean are we gonna pretend like that wasn't a thing last yr lol?

That's what it's disingenuous to say he was top 5 in 3rd conversions without saying the skilled position players played a massive part in that. Not Jimmy's fault he was just running the plays.

Winning games is a team stat. Not sure how many times that needs to be said

Show me some stats on his 1st/2nd down throws? I know they ran the ball pretty well, setting up easy completions on 3rd down. Again not Jimmy's fault.

Finally, how dare I like a qb prospect that throws the ball more than 5 feet downfield lol. How dare I like someone that has good pocket feel, throws with anticipation and has great accuracy

Apparently criticizing Jimmy and wanting someone better isn't allowed anymore. I wish I could do nothing but praise him but my eyes say I can't.

No. It is just the constant whining and the same old passive aggressive repetition of the same lines over and over and over and over again. Jimmy G is not going anywhere this year or next season. Lynch and Shanahan don't come here to read your posts and take your advice. You need to learn to deal with JG being our QB till at least his contract ends and perhaps even longer. You might have lived in the Bay for over 70 years but your heart is not with the 49ers and I will continue to call you out on it.

Lol of course you are, now that it has been proven by me to be an absolute crap stat. I mean,...unless Jameis Winston is easily a Top 5 QB in the league losing starting gigs to a guy learning how to throw?

You're no center or power forward, but you have the best pivot on this forum.

The goal anyway is to either have people either explain the crap going on with everyone else on these lists the last 4 years, or completely disregard them and find another way to prop up Jimmy. This stat aint it.
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 1, 2020 at 4:01 PM ]

I agree it was refreshing to not see complete s**t play at QB. We went from Hoyer/gabbert to Jimmy...massive upgrade.

That's said I'm not gonna say he was some elite force at QB who was the reason we went to the SB. He played his part no doubt. He was helped out tremendously by all the YAC, play calling, run game and defense. I see no problem with acknowledging all of that?

I also see no problem will realizing he's not some elite QB and he limits what this offense can do overall. I think there's room for an upgrade.

I have no idea where you stand on all this, you argue with me then I see you posting how you want an upgrade.

because it just sounded like Jimmy all of a sudden got no credit for our improved 3rd down success rate in 2017 that continued in 2019 despite better talent around him. it was the biggest noticeably refreshing difference we had at QB in a long time. i did bring up the top 5 thing, however, I used that also more to give a nod to something he brought to the table himself and not others around him having more to do with, if that makes sense. by no means am i saying that in any way shape or form made him some "elite" QB or something. but it's a characteristic I saw common in Jimmy time and time again that we hadn't seen from a 49er QB in a while; consistent 3rd down conversions. maybe it's just because I was so used to bad QB play and 3rd & 7's feeling like 3rd & 17's all that time? who knows. but something I was giving credit to him for.
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Dec 1, 2020 at 4:05 PM ]
because it just sounded like Jimmy all of a sudden got no credit for our improved 3rd down success rate in 2017

Hey hey now,...what about Beathard in 2017? Didnt you check out the stats? Give my guy CJ some LOVE too.
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 1, 2020 at 4:06 PM ]

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
People look for obscure stats to fit their narrative.

Just because you don't understand the stat doesn't mean it doesn't matter
Reminds me of the episode of Sunny where Charlie lays out his mail theory while working in the mailroom

Lol of course you are, now that it has been proven by me to be an absolute crap stat. I mean,...unless Jameis Winston is easily a Top 5 QB in the league losing starting gigs to a guy learning how to throw?

You're no center or power forward, but you have the best pivot on this forum.

The goal anyway is to either have people either explain the crap going on with everyone else on these lists the last 4 years, or completely disregard them and find another way to prop up Jimmy. This stat aint it.

oh right because I totally insinuated that top 5 in 3rd downs = top 5 Quarterbacking in the NFL. my fault

when did you start watching the 49ers? 2017? nice bro
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Dec 1, 2020 at 4:09 PM ]
because it just sounded like Jimmy all of a sudden got no credit for our improved 3rd down success rate in 2017

Hey hey now,...what about Beathard in 2017? Didnt you check out the stats? Give my guy CJ some LOVE too.

my bad, forgot that's the year you started following the San Francisco 49ers.
Originally posted by Goatie:
No. It is just the constant whining and the same old passive aggressive repetition of the same lines over and over and over and over again. Jimmy G is not going anywhere this year or next season. Lynch and Shanahan don't come here to read your posts and take your advice. You need to learn to deal with JG being our QB till at least his contract ends and perhaps even longer. You might have lived in the Bay for over 70 years but your heart is not with the 49ers and I will continue to call you out on it.

Or the same people praising Jimmy no matter what. We're not allowed to be criticized apparently.

I'm sure you'd think he's some elite QB if he didn't play for SF

Calling out someone's fan hood just because they're not slobbering all over the QB is BS dude.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 1, 2020 at 4:08 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone