LISTEN: Answering The Biggest 49ers Questions With Akash Anavarathan →

There are 209 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Jimmy is so polarizing because he's all the things that have been said. He's better than anyone we've had in years. He's got the quick release. He's accurate on the short and intermediate throws. He usually rebounds well after throwing an INT or after a fumble. He has that mental toughness. A lot of good traits.

He also lacks long range accuracy. He often doesn't see wide open receivers. He doesn't avoid the rush well. He is having problems staying healthy.

All of the above statements are true. That's why he's so polarizing. If he was just plain awful there wouldn't be so much back and forth. It would be an easy decision to get rid of him. But he's far from awful. He's very good when healthy and that makes it a harder decision.

Those of us that want to see Jimmy replaced would prefer a way where we could keep him for another year and draft a QB in 2020. If the guy turns out great then they can still trade Jimmy. If not they have a new backup. Unfortunately that decision is made much tougher because of the way his contract is constructed. They can free up a lot of cap space and retain several players if they want to gamble on a rookie QB. I don't really see Kyle wanting to take that chance but he may not have a choice. The ball really ends up in Paraag's and John's court. And Jimmy of course. He has to be willing to take a pay cut next year or I don't see how they can keep him.
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by random49er:
because it just sounded like Jimmy all of a sudden got no credit for our improved 3rd down success rate in 2017

Hey hey now,...what about Beathard in 2017? Didnt you check out the stats? Give my guy CJ some LOVE too.

my bad, forgot that's the year you started following the San Francisco 49ers.

CJ was 6th in the league in 3rd and longs. Wasn't that the barometer you were just going by for the last several pages? What happened?
because it just sounded like Jimmy all of a sudden got no credit for our improved 3rd down success rate in 2017

Hey hey now,...what about Beathard in 2017? Didnt you check out the stats? Give my guy CJ some LOVE too.

CJ was 6th in the league in 3rd and longs. Wasn't that the barometer you were just going by for the last several pages? What happened?

was CJ consistently 6th in the league in 3rd down conversions in 5 games + a full season starting under center?
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Jimmy is so polarizing because he's all the things that have been said. He's better than anyone we've had in years. He's got the quick release. He's accurate on the short and intermediate throws. He usually rebounds well after throwing an INT or after a fumble. He has that mental toughness. A lot of good traits.

He also lacks long range accuracy. He often doesn't see wide open receivers. He doesn't avoid the rush well. He is having problems staying healthy.

All of the above statements are true. That's why he's so polarizing. If he was just plain awful there wouldn't be so much back and forth. It would be an easy decision to get rid of him. But he's far from awful. He's very good when healthy and that makes it a harder decision.

Those of us that want to see Jimmy replaced would prefer a way where we could keep him for another year and draft a QB in 2020. If the guy turns out great then they can still trade Jimmy. If not they have a new backup. Unfortunately that decision is made much tougher because of the way his contract is constructed. They can free up a lot of cap space and retain several players if they want to gamble on a rookie QB. I don't really see Kyle wanting to take that chance but he may not have a choice. The ball really ends up in Paraag's and John's court. And Jimmy of course. He has to be willing to take a pay cut next year or I don't see how they can keep him.

well said in the bold and fair IMO.

wait you moving the goalposts to 3rd and long now? I've been referring to 3rd downs as a whole this entire time.
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Dec 1, 2020 at 4:13 PM ]
yeah like WTF? I remember when 3rd & 10 felt damn near impossible to convert. the 49ers gave Jimmy a contract because of his ability to win in the 4th quarter and convert 3rd downs. we had never had that CONSISTENTLY in god I how long?

....with Jimmy on 3rd and long I actually had a sense of confidence.

I'm moving the goal posts,...or replying to your pointed rhetoric that's now shifting?

I've just now quoted you 3 times talking about 3rd and longs like it means the world in the last several hours alone,....I'm sure there are more.
because it just sounded like Jimmy all of a sudden got no credit for our improved 3rd down success rate in 2017 that continued in 2019 despite better talent around him. it was the biggest noticeably refreshing difference we had at QB in a long time. i did bring up the top 5 thing, however, I used that also more to give a nod to something he brought to the table himself and not others around him having more to do with, if that makes sense. by no means am i saying that in any way shape or form made him some "elite" QB or something. but it's a characteristic I saw common in Jimmy time and time again that we hadn't seen from a 49er QB in a while; consistent 3rd down conversions. maybe it's just because I was so used to bad QB play and 3rd & 7's feeling like 3rd & 17's all that time? who knows. but something I was giving credit to him for.

I give credit (and have consistently) to Jimmy for playing his part...he can run the offense kyle has made for him well most of the time. Sure he played a part in that top 5 3rd down comp. So did the play calling and top end YAC play. So did the running fame which allowed him to stay ahead of the chains for a good part of the yr. so did that D that didn't forced Jimmy to play out of his comfort zone most of the yr.

it's nice to not have a complete s**t show at the QB position...it would be a whole lot nicer to have something more outside of a good game manager.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Agreed
Nov 8, 2019
https://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/34933/third-comes-first-jimmy-garoppolo-delivering-for-49ers-on-money-down

"That's usually where quarterbacks earn their money," 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said. "You can do a lot of things on first and second down. You can mix in run or pass to even out the game, but on third down, that pass rush is coming. They always have their best coverages and blitzes called. You need a good guy back there."

Through eight games, not many teams have a better guy than Garoppolo back there when it comes to third down. Garoppolo is 47-of-65 for 494 yards, four touchdowns and one interception for a passer rating of 108.1 on third down. His completion percentage ranks second in the NFL, his passer rating is sixth, and his touchdown-to-interception ratio is tied for eighth.

Of those 47 completions, 36 have gone for first downs or touchdowns, which is the highest percentage in the NFL. All of it adds up to a third-down QBR of 89.6, which ranks behind only that of Kansas City's Patrick Mahomes.

Time and again, Garoppolo found a way to deliver in situations that weren't favorable. Third-and-6? A 9-yard completion to running back Tevin Coleman. Third-and-4? A perfectly placed pass to Emmanuel Sanders for a gain of 22. Third-and-7 just a few plays later? Another dime to receiver Dante Pettis for a 21-yard touchdown.

The throw to Sanders drew plenty of attention, including from Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning. Breaking down the play on the latest episode of his ESPN+ show Detail, Manning said it was hard to believe Garoppolo and Sanders' timing is so good, so soon. "This is just an awesome throw," Manning said. "This is a throw that I'm not even sure Montana was making to Rice, Steve Young was making to Rice ... you cannot find a better throw as far as timing than Garoppolo to Emmanuel right here on this corner route. This is awesome stuff."

"He does what he always does," tight end George Kittle said. "The consistency that I see every single day. Whether it's our Thursday third-down practice, whatever it is, he's always locked in. He's always ready to go. He's one of the most professional people I've ever been around. He practices enough the stuff that he puts in. It allows him to make those plays."

Garoppolo can certainly hit on some money throws. And he can follow up and get into a great rhythm as well. I don't think anyone here would disagree with that. But I applaud the different direction.
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 1, 2020 at 4:22 PM ]

yeah like WTF? I remember when 3rd & 10 felt damn near impossible to convert. the 49ers gave Jimmy a contract because of his ability to win in the 4th quarter and convert 3rd downs. we had never had that CONSISTENTLY in god I how long?

....with Jimmy on 3rd and long I actually had a sense of confidence.

I'm moving the goal posts,...or replying to your pointed rhetoric that's now shifting?

I've just now quoted you 3 times talking about 3rd and longs like it means the world in the last several hours alone,....I'm sure there are more.

the ENTIRE topic was about Jimmy and 3rd his consistent 3rd down success rate in moving the chains

and then, as a side note, in a matter of simple reflection, i simply mentioned how when it came to 3rd and longs, for example, compared to years past with prior QB's, I FINALLY felt confidence of which didn't exist before.

but only fans who watched the 49ers before 2017 understand what im talking about. even NY knows how bad it used to be.

learn to spot the difference and quit trying so hard
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Dec 1, 2020 at 4:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Goatie:
No. It is just the constant whining and the same old passive aggressive repetition of the same lines over and over and over and over again. Jimmy G is not going anywhere this year or next season. Lynch and Shanahan don't come here to read your posts and take your advice. You need to learn to deal with JG being our QB till at least his contract ends and perhaps even longer. You might have lived in the Bay for over 70 years but your heart is not with the 49ers and I will continue to call you out on it.

Versus the constant praise and slobbering over and over. Look, we all have our opinions. Yours isn't any worse or better and neither are mine. We post because we are fans, no matter what you think. Being a good fan doesn't mean loving every player and every play call. I spent 33 seasons sitting at the Stick and countless hours watching every game on the road . You say my heart isn't with the 49ers. You are so off base with that statement I can't believe it. Where do you get the gaul to question another poster's fan loyalty. I wouldn't be posting on this forum if I didn't love this team. Neither would Steve Wallace or NYNiner85. We all love this team whether we praise them or question them. I prefer posting about the team in the future and not about another fan. You can continue to call me out on not being a real fan but all that will do is show what an ass you are. Enough said.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Dec 1, 2020 at 4:26 PM ]
the ENTIRE topic was about Jimmy and 3rd his consistent 3rd down success rate in moving the chains

You kept talking about 3rd and longs,....I gave you and others 4 years of league-wide data including this year where Garoppolo is #1 in the league in it,....showing it's not really a very big deal. Is it not a good idea to reply with comprehensive stats when a poster keeps referring to the same stat as if it's telling?
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 1, 2020 at 4:26 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
because it just sounded like Jimmy all of a sudden got no credit for our improved 3rd down success rate in 2017 that continued in 2019 despite better talent around him. it was the biggest noticeably refreshing difference we had at QB in a long time. i did bring up the top 5 thing, however, I used that also more to give a nod to something he brought to the table himself and not others around him having more to do with, if that makes sense. by no means am i saying that in any way shape or form made him some "elite" QB or something. but it's a characteristic I saw common in Jimmy time and time again that we hadn't seen from a 49er QB in a while; consistent 3rd down conversions. maybe it's just because I was so used to bad QB play and 3rd & 7's feeling like 3rd & 17's all that time? who knows. but something I was giving credit to him for.

I give credit (and have consistently) to Jimmy for playing his part...he can run the offense kyle has made for him well most of the time. Sure he played a part in that top 5 3rd down comp. So did the play calling and top end YAC play. So did the running fame which allowed him to stay ahead of the chains for a good part of the yr. so did that D that didn't forced Jimmy to play out of his comfort zone most of the yr.

it's nice to not have a complete s**t show at the QB position...it would be a whole lot nicer to have something more outside of a good game manager.

yep i dont disagree. if im being totally honest if it wasnt for Jimmy's injuries id still be content with him - but only because I seem to have more patience than others. (which isnt a knock on anyone for wanting someone better sooner, just how I am)

You kept talking about 3rd and longs,....I gave you and others 4 years of data including this year where Garoppolo is #1 in the league in it,....showing it's not really a very big deal. Is it not a good idea to reply with comprehensive stats when a poster keeps referring to the same stat as if it's telling?

it was a big deal in comparison to WHAT WE HAD at QB for the San Francisco 49ers
Share 49ersWebzone