LISTEN: Answering The Biggest 49ers Questions With Akash Anavarathan →

There are 181 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Scoring more points than opponents won games and JG threw the 5th most TDs in the NFL last year.

James Winston threw the 2nd most TDs in the NFL and over 1,000 more passing yards then JG and they didn't win
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
jimmy was awful in ALEX yards and his receivers did all that work after catching the ball. so doesnt count.

AYTS and ALEX score directly indicates what happens on 3rd downs and whom was really the reason for 3rd down conversions.

When you're near the bottom of the league in passing to the 1st downs sticks and are near the top in 3rd down conversions who's getting those 1st downs? It's clearly the playmakers and their YAC ability. It's not like it was some secret either. We watch the games and guys like Deebo/Kittle were tops in the league at getting those hard yards.

All I'm saying is we should acknowledge that...great Jimmy got the ball into their hands quickly. That was his job last yr.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Honest question... how many QBs in the NFL have a similar "winning %" as JG with that 2019 roster and coaching staff?
Winning % is a team stat that is a collective accomplishment... Kinda like UNIT pass protection, NC.

Just thought you of all people would recognize this?
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 2, 2020 at 8:20 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
jimmy was awful in ALEX yards and his receivers did all that work after catching the ball. so doesnt count.

AYTS and ALEX score directly indicates what happens on 3rd downs and whom was really the reason for 3rd down conversions.

When you're near the bottom of the league in passing to the 1st downs sticks and are near the top in 3rd down conversions who's getting those 1st downs? It's clearly the playmakers and their YAC ability. It's not like it was some secret either. We watch the games and guys like Deebo/Kittle were tops in the league at getting those hard yards.

All I'm saying is we should acknowledge that...great Jimmy got the ball into their hands quickly. That was his job last yr.

i mean no not always like you make it seem to be as usual.

[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Dec 2, 2020 at 8:25 AM ]
Originally posted by random49er:
Winning % is a team stat that is a collective accomplishment... Kinda like UNIT pass protection, NC.

I agree. Football is too much of a team game to give any one player credit. You could say Nick Bosa's winning percentage was among the highest in history after his team went 13-3 in his only season. He was a major part but hardly the only reason.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I agree. Football is too much of a team game to give any one player credit. You could say Nick Bosa's winning percentage was among the highest in history after his team went 13-3 in his only season. He was a major part but hardly the only reason.

Well when Nick Bosa plays we go to the Super Bowl. Prove me wrong

Where did I say always? The stats aren't lying dude. Compared to the rest of the league he's near the bottom of AYTS and ALEX score. This isn't a conspiracy lol

Originally posted by Hysterikal:

That's what I mean. He plays one season and they go to the SB. That makes his win % really high since it's a small sample size. He was a big part last year but several other players all had great years. JG has a nice winning % but he didn't do it alone. I doubt that they would have made it all the way without Bosa but maybe they wouldn't without Kittle or Warner. Or several other guys. Ultimate team sport. Even Bosa saw his production drop off when Ford started missing games later in the year. Winning percentage just isn't a very meaningful stat. Maybe after a long career when you've played with several different players or teams it means a little more.

When Ben Garland plays we go to the Super bowl...dude has been to 3 Super Bowls
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 2, 2020 at 8:49 AM ]

That's what I mean. He plays one season and they go to the SB. That makes his win % really high since it's a small sample size. He was a big part last year but several other players all had great years. JG has a nice winning % but he didn't do it alone. I doubt that they would have made it all the way without Bosa but maybe they wouldn't without Kittle or Warner. Or several other guys. Ultimate team sport. Even Bosa saw his production drop off when Ford started missing games later in the year. Winning percentage just isn't a very meaningful stat. Maybe after a long career when you've played with several different players or teams it means a little more.
lol those guys don't handle the ball 100% of the time on offense

I agree it's a team stat.. but you can't just have anyone back there at QB
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

lol those guys don't handle the ball 100% of the time on offense

I agree it's a team stat.. but you can't just have anyone back there at QB

Agreed! That's why people want to upgrade from good enough to great.

Where did I say always? The stats aren't lying dude. Compared to the rest of the league he's near the bottom of AYTS and ALEX score. This isn't a conspiracy lol

never said it was. but plays like that throw that measuring stick of the ALEX score in the trash lol.

the fact he was near the bottom in that "ALEX" category didnt make us any worse or hold us back, clearly. so really didnt matter.
Share 49ersWebzone