There are 190 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by random49er:
Dunno.... 3 Pro Bowls since he's left here?. .. I think it's pretty clear he's moved on from his days here and has cemented himself as a Chief. People will always refer to his time there, not here or in Washington.

Now if Jimmy could just stay healthy enough to get that 1st Pro Bowl selection, that's be awesome.

I already acknowledged he's better but I'm talking about when he was here, how he was for us when he was here, as the QB. try to pay attention and follow along.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by Niners99:
So Kyle previously said he wouldn't bring Garoppolo back for meaningless games. How would you interpret that, given the cap hit Jimmy would have next season as it stands?

An interesting, comparative snippet:

The NFC West is home to three apparently indestructible starting quarterbacks.

And Jimmy Garoppolo.

The 49ers' QB, on injured reserve for the second time in three seasons, sticks out in a division in which his peers have not been sidelined.

Seattle's Russell Wilson hasn't missed a game in his 138-start career, the Rams' Jared Goff hasn't missed a game because of injury in his 64-start career and, though Arizona's Kyler Murray is just getting started, he has opened his career by making 26 straight starts.

The contrast with Garoppolo, who has suffered three significant injuries in his 32-start career, highlights a less-discussed aspect of the 49ers' much-discussed future decision on their QB.

That is, even if Garoppolo was a first-team All-Pro, the 49ers would need to significantly upgrade their backup spot in 2021 based on his inability to stay healthy.

Have all 3 simply been lucky?

LOL @ "inability" to stay healthy. LB lands on his shoulder in NE, his ACL tears from slipping on terrible turf in KC, and he gets hit two different times for high ankle sprains in 2020. These are bad luck injuries, not chronically hurt injuries. Hes not constantly breaking bones or tearing his hamstring on a non contact play.

In the NFL there are no "iron man" players. Just guys who get lucky. Russell Wilson could get his leg snapped in half next week. Or he could play the rest of his entire career without missing another start. Every player is one play away from the last of their career.

The real shame is that Garoppolo changed after he slipped on the turf in KC. He became more mindful of getting hit. More protective of that knee. The high ankle sprains this year aren't going to help either. He probably used to give his vulnerability zero thought during the play. Now its in the back of his head, trying to get his feet un planted asap before he can get hit. You could see in that Seahawks game he was jumping up and turning away from hits to protect his legs.

We need to shore up the OL to get his confidence in the pocket back.
It's what fans do when they turn on a player for whatever reason. They did it to Jimmie Ward - even me.

Sometimes it is bad luck. Jimmie Ward is a good example of that. He was injured ALL. THE. TIME. for years and then the last 2 years I think he's played more snaps than anyone but Fred Warner and just had a monster of a game and Sherman keeps calling him one of the top 3 safeties in the league.

even you?

yup, even me. I got so mad when Lynch resigned Ward in 2019 and then he broke his collarbone in OTA's.

oh I thought you were alluding to fans turning on YOU lol
  • thl408
yup, even me. I got so mad when Lynch resigned Ward in 2019 and then he broke his collarbone in OTA's.

You gonna do a film breakdown since the 49ers won?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
no we didnt have the QB to pull the trigger more often than not.

Man if only Alex had Kittle/Deebo and he could just dumped it 4 yards and watch them run guys over.

At least Jimmy has enough internal clock in him to get rid of the ball when he's suppose too...Alex looking all day to throw the ball, acting like he was gonna take a shot downfield.... we all knew lol. He didn't turn the ball over a ton with those short passes though.

Jimmy definitely gave more guys more opportunities because he was way more willing to let it rip than Alex ever was. hence his gunslinger mentality.

Alex was good and protecting the ball, taking a sack, throwing it away.

Jimmy was not, and thus was more prone to more picks. but we also stayed on the field a lot longer as well due to his success rate on third Downs. and YES he gets a lot of the credit as it's something he was doing BEFORE we had super stud YAC guys. had kittle but he was a rook

then we acquired a deebo, a more experienced and beast of a George kittle, and they were able to make that third down stat even more effective.

we got sanders, and the trust went way up with Jimmy and throwing with anticipation.

even impressed Peyton Manning with little time they had to build cohesion
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Dec 2, 2020 at 1:25 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:

Jimmy isn't playing so he's not doing them anymore.
Why not? If they don't, half their union will lose a crap ton of money. They literally don't hold any of the bargaining power here, this is why the NFL was trying to low-ball them, then agreed to a floor. Yes, it's part of negotiations but is also a good-faith movement. Not sure why you seem cynical towards it. The owners couldn't agree to a cap above 47% without approval from the NFLPA. But, the owners have the power right now, more than they've had in decades, because player contracts are what will be hit hardest and the NFLPA's push for % of revenues is what created this problem(not saying they shouldn't have, that's just the reality of a revenue based salary cap). Both parties weren't planning on COVID wrecking revenues. It can't be one sided or even half the players in a "well, we have our contracts and screw the rest of you" stance. If there isn't some sort of move from both players and owners to create more cap space, you're going to end up with at least half the players in the union unemployed come the start of the new league year.

You're telling me that if 500 players of a union are unemployed and staring at minimum contracts for every single one that the NFLPA is going to be ok with that? Like I mentioned earlier today, on 2nd year minimum contracts the league still couldn't fill all the roster spots that will be open in the league - which they can't even do because of the CBA's rookie wage scale.

My point through all of this is, we can't assume we'll be in cap hell because of Jimmy G's contract and it's why we need to move on from him. We're 17th in cap space next season and, like I've pointed out, the league as a whole is in a terrible position with current contracts and the cap. So, we can't sit here and say, "we have to move on from Jimmy G because we don't have x, y and z signed and we won't be able to extend Warner".

You yourself are saying that nearly everyone would have to accept minimum contracts if the cap isn't adjusted, so why are we worried if we could afford guys if everyone's going to have to sign minimum contracts.

We have to have logical harmony.

Either our high value FA's are going to cost a lot of money and the cap is going to adjusted by either % cuts by the players union or the market will crash and contracts will be dirt cheap. Either way, there's no reason why we move on from Jimmy for cap reasons.

Because I don't see it as a good faith gesture, just negations. Not sure why you would make it out to more than that? Meet in the middle.

Most of the players in the NFL are lower end paid players (vet min, yr to yr smaller deals etc) you think they're gonna agree to take a pay cut when in fact they're the ones that WILL be playing (have jobs) because their salaries are already low. Nah dude I can't see that.

There are still teams that have a good amount of cap space even with the covid issues. I don't know how many of them have massive FAs leaving BUT theres money.

Yes guys will take shorter deals (like this past yr) It will work itself out...they need to revisit Jimmy's contract regardless.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 2, 2020 at 1:40 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by genus49:
I wonder what Alex's ALEX is in 2020. or is ALEX Alex's ALEX?

why do you think they call it the ALEX score LOL...it's named after our boy Smith who's the dump off king and great at converting on 3rd downs.

except alex was NOT great or even close at converting 3rd downs as a niner.

There is no "except." this stat was attributed to him far, far after his time with the 49ers.

No one here is suggesting he was good or great with the 49ers. He went elsewhere, grew, and was utilized much more effectively.

Well Alex was still garbage on passing downs for the Chiefs. Wasn't even good on 3rd down in 2017. His intended air yards was only 7.4 in 2017. They used him exactly the way Harbaugh did. He had an anomaly season stat wise, and he can thank Andy,Hunt,Kelce and Hill-(largely) for that.
Dunno.... 3 Pro Bowls since he's left here?. .. I think it's pretty clear he's moved on from his days here and has cemented himself as a Chief. People will always refer to his time there, not here or in Washington.

Now if Jimmy could just stay healthy enough to get that 1st Pro Bowl selection, that's be awesome.

Eh, his 2019 was better than 2 of Alex's 3 alternate pro bowl selections

HA
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Agreed - both 99 and jonnydel. Sometimes it's definitely just bad luck. Sometimes it's good luck - Mahomes just missed having a severe season-ending knee injury himself last year (remember that game?). Turns out he missed only two games.

Some QBs last year who missed games: Brees (missed 5), Tannehill (missed 4), Stafford (missed 8). Garoppolo started all 19 games last season and didn't come out once for injury. Some might want to just discount that as some kind of outlier. I don't agree, and I hope to see him back in action this year if/when he's 100%.

I think that's what people are questioning. In seven NFL seasons he has had 3 where he missed 5 or more games. So the question is, was the 2019 season the fluke because he played in all the games or were the other seasons where he missed a lot the norm. You can actually throw out the injury in NE since he wasn't the regular starter so just look at his time here. Out of 51 games he's missed all or part of 21. That's about 40%. The sample size is still relatively small but the trend certainly doesn't look good.

I'm saying the 2019 season wasn't a fluke. We've also seen Garoppolo take multiple direct hit shots behind an even weaker OL earlier in his time with this team - behind guys like Beadles at OT trying to block guys like Clowney. Garoppolo delivered strike after strike while taking tough shots - some to the chops - and he never succumbed to injury. I don't forget games like that. We'll see going forward, and you can go ahead and say 2019 was a fluke as you seem to be in the "Garoppolo is injury prone" camp. Whatever floats your boat.

Again, K. Alonso tackles Garoppolo and falls squarely on his shoulder...sprained shoulder (but not a broken collarbone at least) and he's out for a few games (but Brady returns in the meantime). I've seen the same tackle happen many times where that particular tackle causes a QB to be out most of the season with a broken collarbone (A. Barr's tackle/falling on A. Rodgers in 2017 - remember that one where Rodgers was pissed afterwards?).

Big Q. Williams breaks through the line and tackles/lands squarely on Garoppolo's ankle, causing an injury that's painful and very much lingering for an athlete, the dreaded high ankle sprain. Ever have one of those? If so, you know how much it shuts a person down athletically for many, many weeks (sometimes it's more severe than others). Was it Garoppolo's fault that Williams landed right on his ankle - does that add to the category that some want to place him in, the "he's injury prone" category? I say definitely no - stuff like that happens, it's football.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Dec 2, 2020 at 1:43 PM ]

not just cause we won. I ended up having to take 2 out of town business trips, close on a ReFi and finished a ton of work on my house and then my daughter's daycare was shut down for 2 weeks after a possible COVID case. Looking at releasing that Tuesday.
  • thl408

not just cause we won. I ended up having to take 2 out of town business trips, close on a ReFi and finished a ton of work on my house and then my daughter's daycare was shut down for 2 weeks after a possible COVID case. Looking at releasing that Tuesday.

It's Wednesday bro. I'm playin, do what you gotta do.

FAKE NEWS

give me a break, dude. I actually have other things in my life going on. My Wife works for a health insurance broker and 70% of her annual renewals come due 12/1 and 1/1 so she's working 60 hours a week right now and we have 2 daughters and our daycare got shut down for 2 weeks because of a possible COVID case. It was a lot easier for me to work here and there from home than her missing time during this season. So, I didn't have the extra time to make some videos unless I was staying up until 3 in the morning to do them and losing football isn't enough of a motivator.

It's Wednesday bro. I'm playin, do what you gotta do.

See, I can't even keep my days straight anymore.
FAKE NEWS

give me a break, dude. I actually have other things in my life going on. My Wife works for a health insurance broker and 70% of her annual renewals come due 12/1 and 1/1 so she's working 60 hours a week right now and we have 2 daughters and our daycare got shut down for 2 weeks because of a possible COVID case. It was a lot easier for me to work here and there from home than her missing time during this season. So, I didn't have the extra time to make some videos unless I was staying up until 3 in the morning to do them and losing football isn't enough of a motivator.

I'm assuming he's just kidding, you do you...we all appreciate the film breakdowns when you can do them
Share 49ersWebzone