There are 184 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by thl408:
yup, even me. I got so mad when Lynch resigned Ward in 2019 and then he broke his collarbone in OTA's.

You gonna do a film breakdown since the 49ers won?

Jimmy isn't playing so he's not doing them anymore.

FAKE NEWS

give me a break, dude. I actually have other things in my life going on. My Wife works for a health insurance broker and 70% of her annual renewals come due 12/1 and 1/1 so she's working 60 hours a week right now and we have 2 daughters and our daycare got shut down for 2 weeks because of a possible COVID case. It was a lot easier for me to work here and there from home than her missing time during this season. So, I didn't have the extra time to make some videos unless I was staying up until 3 in the morning to do them and losing football isn't enough of a motivator.

love ya dude
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by thl408:
yup, even me. I got so mad when Lynch resigned Ward in 2019 and then he broke his collarbone in OTA's.

You gonna do a film breakdown since the 49ers won?

Jimmy isn't playing so he's not doing them anymore.

HA

I'm sorry i just couldn't resist lol
  • thl408
FAKE NEWS

give me a break, dude. I actually have other things in my life going on. My Wife works for a health insurance broker and 70% of her annual renewals come due 12/1 and 1/1 so she's working 60 hours a week right now and we have 2 daughters and our daycare got shut down for 2 weeks because of a possible COVID case. It was a lot easier for me to work here and there from home than her missing time during this season. So, I didn't have the extra time to make some videos unless I was staying up until 3 in the morning to do them and losing football isn't enough of a motivator.

I'm assuming he's just kidding, you do you...we all appreciate the film breakdowns when you can do them

jd, it's all good. Priorities come first. My personal interest in trying to understand the gameplan has waned big time over the past few weeks.
Originally posted by genus49:
Why the hell wouldn't i? Did the Rams just lay down? Why would I fault Jimmy or discount a game just because the opponent decided to rest their starters? Let's not forget we should've beaten them with their starters with Hoyer if not for a bogus OPI on Trent Taylor.

But why are we even having this conversation? What was your reaction to the deal at the time?

Oh stop the b******t genus

You got every excuse in the book for Jimmy when he doesn't play well and yet will give him all the praise in the world for beating the backup LA RAMS in week 17. likes that's an accomplishment. stop it....if it was a different team playing the Rams you'd be the first to point out they played the backups.

Dude I get it, you love him....where did your objectiveness go?

Lol dude what's happening with you?

I don't even understand where you're going with this argument. If anything that Rams game was Jimmy's worst. If anything I'd think you'd want to point to that game as why we shouldn't have signed Jimmy since he couldn't keep turning the ball over even against their backups...but then again we know you were all about that deal at the time.

So why change the narrative on why he got the deal? It changes nothing. He got it and we have to figure out what to do with him because he is overpaid based on his production.

The question is the good that he brings this team under Kyle is it worth going with an unknown just to cut down that contract?

I find it funny you think I'm not the one being objective in this situation
Why not? If they don't, half their union will lose a crap ton of money. They literally don't hold any of the bargaining power here, this is why the NFL was trying to low-ball them, then agreed to a floor. Yes, it's part of negotiations but is also a good-faith movement. Not sure why you seem cynical towards it. The owners couldn't agree to a cap above 47% without approval from the NFLPA. But, the owners have the power right now, more than they've had in decades, because player contracts are what will be hit hardest and the NFLPA's push for % of revenues is what created this problem(not saying they shouldn't have, that's just the reality of a revenue based salary cap). Both parties weren't planning on COVID wrecking revenues. It can't be one sided or even half the players in a "well, we have our contracts and screw the rest of you" stance. If there isn't some sort of move from both players and owners to create more cap space, you're going to end up with at least half the players in the union unemployed come the start of the new league year.

You're telling me that if 500 players of a union are unemployed and staring at minimum contracts for every single one that the NFLPA is going to be ok with that? Like I mentioned earlier today, on 2nd year minimum contracts the league still couldn't fill all the roster spots that will be open in the league - which they can't even do because of the CBA's rookie wage scale.

My point through all of this is, we can't assume we'll be in cap hell because of Jimmy G's contract and it's why we need to move on from him. We're 17th in cap space next season and, like I've pointed out, the league as a whole is in a terrible position with current contracts and the cap. So, we can't sit here and say, "we have to move on from Jimmy G because we don't have x, y and z signed and we won't be able to extend Warner".

You yourself are saying that nearly everyone would have to accept minimum contracts if the cap isn't adjusted, so why are we worried if we could afford guys if everyone's going to have to sign minimum contracts.

We have to have logical harmony.

Either our high value FA's are going to cost a lot of money and the cap is going to adjusted by either % cuts by the players union or the market will crash and contracts will be dirt cheap. Either way, there's no reason why we move on from Jimmy for cap reasons.

Because I don't see it as a good faith gesture, just negations. Not sure why you would make it out to more than that? Meet in the middle.

Most of the players in the NFL are lower end paid players (vet min, yr to yr smaller deals etc) you think they're gonna agree to take a pay cut when in fact they're the ones that WILL be playing (have jobs) because their salaries are already low. Nah dude I can't see that.

There are still teams that have a good amount of cap space even with the covid issues. I don't know how many of them have massive FAs leaving BUT theres money.

Yes guys will take shorter deals (like this past yr) It will work itself out...they need to revisit Jimmy's contract regardless.

1st bolded: Because the owners didn't HAVE to do it. There was nothing contractually obligating them to paying above the CBA's salary cap. The owners had to initiate that, not the players. The negotiations were that the players wanted more but really didn't have any power to demand more. But, the owners have shown good faith in the negotiations that they're willing to pay their share and go above a 47% revenue benchmark and so now they will expect the players to take cuts. That's what has to happen for the league to function.

2nd bolded: Yes, because if they don't, many will be unemployed for even cheaper options in an extremely cash strapped year or facing playing on short-term contracts for minimum with no guarantees against injury and a complete market re-set for their next contract.

3rd bolded: There's only 5 teams with 50+ mil in cap space and the Jaguars top the list with 82 mil in space. Their LT is their biggest FA. If we don't see an adjustment to contracts, a LT of his caliber would bring 14-15 mil per year, leaving them with 67 mil in space. Seems like a lot, but again, if contracts don't adjust, you eat that up with Shaquille Barrett/Aldon Smith, and 3 other top guys at their position and their cap space is all gone. That's 5 of the high profile free agents signed

Considering you'd also see at least 10 teams dump multiple big contracts, you could expect to see 50-60 high profile free agents on the market. There's not enough cap space in the league. That's my point.

Again, there's no way that Jimmy G's contract is the reason we can't keep guys. There are TEN teams in the RED for 2021 right now.....TEN.... There's only 9 teams with 30+ in space. There's no way contracts aren't either dirt cheap or players take a pay cut. No way.

Either the cap is adjusted by player cuts or contracts are dirt cheap - that's my whoooooole point. I believe players are going to take cuts to try and stabilize the market, but if they don't, don't tell me Trent Williams is getting a 15 mil/year contract in a year when you have 6 starting LT's hitting FA and very few teams with money.

Let's just look at this, the league as a whole has 217 mil in cap space for next season if players don't take cuts
The top 25 - just the top 25, FA's, based upon this years APY take up 383 mil in cap space. The players will take across the board cuts or contracts will be dirt cheap. There aren't any other options. So, again, why do we need to move on from Jimmy for cap reasons?

I don't even understand where you're going with this argument. If anything that Rams game was Jimmy's worst. If anything I'd think you'd want to point to that game as why we shouldn't have signed Jimmy since he couldn't keep turning the ball over even against their backups...but then again we know you were all about that deal at the time.

So why change the narrative on why he got the deal? It changes nothing. He got it and we have to figure out what to do with him because he is overpaid based on his production.

The question is the good that he brings this team under Kyle is it worth going with an unknown just to cut down that contract?

He turned the ball over regardless of the game.

Explain to me how you're being objective? It's been nothing but excuses on when he doesn't play well and Jimmy is the reason when we win.

Ive brought up the ALEX score to show how much he actually contributes to 3rd conversions...hell yeah 1st downs are 1st downs but you can't simply acknowledge that our playmakers played a massive part in that in 2019. Why? What's the excuse for being top 8 in INT % yet throwing the ball shorter than most QBs in the league? That's not a good thing dude.

I simply do not agree with your takes on him as a QB. It's nothing against you, we for he most part are on the same page...clearly not on this topic.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 2, 2020 at 3:05 PM ]

He turned the ball over regardless of the game.

Explain to me how you're being objective? It's been nothing but excuses on when he doesn't play well and Jimmy is the reason when we win.

Ive brought up the ALEX score to show how much he actually contributes to 3rd conversions...hell yeah 1st downs are 1st downs but you can't simply acknowledge that our playmakers played a massive part in that in 2019. Why? What's the excuse for being top 8 in INT % yet throwing the ball shorter than most QBs in the league? That's not a good thing dude.

I simply do not agree with your takes on him as a QB. It's nothing against you, we for he most part are on the same page...clearly not on this topic.

You really cling to this ALEX stat. When I brought up TDs and Passer Rating you countered with the ALEX stat.
Yds/Pass Att
2019 NFL 8.4 (3)
Yds/Pass Cmp
2019 NFL 12.1 (6)
Adj Yds/Pass Att
2019 NFL 8.26 (9)
Net Yds/Pass Att
2019 NFL 7.31 (6)
Adj Net Yds/Pass Att
2019 NFL 7.22 (10)
Pass Completion %
2019 NFL 69.1% (4/28)
Passing TD %
2019 NFL 5.7% (7)
  • CJ75
  • Veteran
Anyone notice how quiet Jimmy is in comparison to Kittle lately? Kittle sounds like he wants to come back and make a run. Don't think we should rush them back but saw someone point out how Jimmy is one of the lesser vocal players in the locker room while being thee highest paid.
[ Edited by CJ75 on Dec 2, 2020 at 5:26 PM ]
Originally posted by CJ75:
Anyone notice how quiet Jimmy is in comparison to Kittle lately? Kittle sounds like he wants to come back and make a run. Saw someone point out how Jimmy is one of the least vocal players in the locker room while being thee highest paid.

Kittle has always been the more louder big personality, Jimmy isn't like that nor is he on social media much. Almost every player if not everyone has stated how Jimmy is not like your average qb wheres he's more boxed in but how he's just like one of the guys. There's no question Jimmy wants to play and he showed that by coming back too early from the high ankle sprain. Plus I'm sure he wants to show Kyle and the front office he's the guy.
Anyone notice how quiet Jimmy is in comparison to Kittle lately? Kittle sounds like he wants to come back and make a run. Saw someone point out how Jimmy is one of the least vocal players in the locker room while being thee highest paid.
And?

JImmys always been a man of few words even when we went to the SB. Not sure what your point is.

If youre insinuating that Kittle wants to come back and Jimmy doesnt, thats gotta be one of the dumbest hot takes ive read in a while. Both are doing exactly what theyve always been doing since day 1. Kittle is out there being the "Peoples TE" and Jimmys being Jimmy. This dude finished out a half after having his ankle rolled over by fat ass Quinnen Williams. He seen his team struggling and tried to come back when his ankle still clearly wasnt fully healed.

Question his ability all you want but to insinuate whatever it is youre insinuating makes no sense.

• CJ75
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
And?

JImmys always been a man of few words even when we went to the SB. Not sure what your point is.

If youre insinuating that Kittle wants to come back and Jimmy doesnt, thats gotta be one of the dumbest hot takes ive read in a while. Both are doing exactly what theyve always been doing since day 1. Kittle is out there being the "Peoples TE" and Jimmys being Jimmy. This dude finished out a half after having his ankle rolled over by fat ass Quinnen Williams. He seen his team struggling and tried to come back when his ankle still clearly wasnt fully healed.

Question his ability all you want but to insinuate whatever it is youre insinuating makes no sense.

I'm not saying Jimmy doesn't want to come back at all. I'm saying that you would expect Jimmy to show a little more leadership as a highly paid game manager. I'm fine with him not being elite, he just seems to also lack the intangibles.
And?

I'm not saying Jimmy doesn't want to come back at all. I'm saying that you would expect Jimmy to show a little more leadership as a highly paid game manager. I'm fine with him not being elite, he just seems to also lack the intangibles.

Being all rah rah! is an intangible?
  • CJ75
  • Veteran

Are Sherman & Kittle's leadership in the locker rooms not valuable? No i'm not talking about the rah rah nonsense.
[ Edited by CJ75 on Dec 2, 2020 at 5:38 PM ]
This thread is like surfing the tv channels and seeing "The View" is on.

I try to skip past real fast but I see Whoopy is talking and listen for a sec.

Then I have to see what the other peeps are saying and then I have to snap out of it and leave.

Lol love you guys

Are Sherman & Kittle's leadership in the locker rooms not valuable? No i'm not talking about the rah rah nonsense.

Players have been very vocal about Jimmy's leadership. He doesn't need to be super rah rah to be a good leader.

His contract also has nothing to do with how vocal he should be.
Share 49ersWebzone