LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 178 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by K1ngAsD3rek:
Nice to see him being a mentor to the rookie. I think letting Trey sit and learn like as a 21 year old kid behind someone who has no problem helping his understudy improve and get to know the basics is beyond extremely important.

He's only going to sit for a sustained period this year if he's not ready. If he's ready,....he's going to get into games because he brings a different element.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
Tried to trade for Stafford? That's a lie

No it really isn't a lie. McVay just beat him to the punch before he could make the trade:
Kyle Shanahan recalls the weekend he tried to trade for Matthew Stafford - Pride Of Detroit - okay no idea why that won't post as a link. The story is out there and it is very clear. Kyle didn't get the chance to make an offer cuz McVay beat him to the punch and he did it just a few doors away in Mexico to throw salt in the wounds

McVay didn't beat him to anything because Shanahan never wanted that career loser from Detroit. He was just being polite when talking about that scrub but that's it.

"A half an hour later, my buddy calls me.He's like, 'I'm just telling you, if you want Stafford, you need to get a hold of him right now.' I'm like, 'What do you mean? No, we just talked to people. I can sleep on this. We'll talk to him tomorrow.

And then 10 minutes later, it was all over."

Come back to reality.

Just random talk, the reality is he didn't want that overrated QB and got a much much better option in the draft. What a relief the niners didn't get that loser.

Just random talk? He's specifically talking about trying to get Stafford. That's exactly what they are talking about. More specifically, they are talking about discussing a trade with Detroit. There is nothing random about it.

Note: Presumably everyone here is glad McVay beat him to the punch (which is exactly what happened), allowing him to get the QB he wanted all along anyway: Trey Lance.

It's still random. Something like: "We want Buckner to be a 49ers for a long long time" while they were already discussing a trade. Or what about "Joe Staley said he will be back in 2020" when he alread told them he was going to retire.
What they say doesn't reflect reality. Just talk to make the Rams coach thing they actually wanted their bumass QB.

No it really isn't a lie. McVay just beat him to the punch before he could make the trade:
Kyle Shanahan recalls the weekend he tried to trade for Matthew Stafford - Pride Of Detroit - okay no idea why that won't post as a link. The story is out there and it is very clear. Kyle didn't get the chance to make an offer cuz McVay beat him to the punch and he did it just a few doors away in Mexico to throw salt in the wounds

McVay didn't beat him to anything because Shanahan never wanted that career loser from Detroit. He was just being polite when talking about that scrub but that's it.

"A half an hour later, my buddy calls me.He's like, 'I'm just telling you, if you want Stafford, you need to get a hold of him right now.' I'm like, 'What do you mean? No, we just talked to people. I can sleep on this. We'll talk to him tomorrow.

Come back to reality.

Just random talk, the reality is he didn't want that overrated QB and got a much much better option in the draft. What a relief the niners didn't get that loser.

Just random talk? He's specifically talking about trying to get Stafford. That's exactly what they are talking about. More specifically, they are talking about discussing a trade with Detroit. There is nothing random about it.

Note: Presumably everyone here is glad McVay beat him to the punch (which is exactly what happened), allowing him to get the QB he wanted all along anyway: Trey Lance.

It's still random. Something like: "We want Buckner to be a 49ers for a long long time" while they were already discussing a trade. Or what about "Joe Staley said he will be back in 2020" when he alread told them he was going to retire.
What they say doesn't reflect reality. Just talk to make the Rams coach thing they actually wanted their bumass QB.

Why would Shanahan go out of his way to be nice to Stafford? What does it gain him or the 49ers? He could have simply chosen not to talk about it. The situation with Buckner is entirely different, as saying something like that inflates his trade value. Same thing with Staley. There was a strategic advantage for the team in how Staley and the 49ers handled the situation.

You don't make an offer until after you negotiate. They were in the process of talking about it. Here's a direct quote from Shanahan on the matter:

"A half an hour later, my buddy calls me," Shanahan continued. "He's like, 'I'm just telling you, if you want Stafford, you need to get a hold of him right now.' I'm like, 'What do you mean? No, we just talked to people. I can sleep on this. We'll talk to him tomorrow."

"We just talked to people."

Why were they talking to people about Stafford unless their intent was to make an offer for Stafford? The degree to which you people will willfully abandon reality is incredible.

Now do the part where he was told that night to act and he didn't please.

Come back to reality.

Why would Shanahan go out of his way to be nice to Stafford? What does it gain him or the 49ers? He could have simply chosen not to talk about it. The situation with Buckner is entirely different, as saying something like that inflates his trade value. Same thing with Staley. There was a strategic advantage for the team in how Staley and the 49ers handled the situation.

Who knows? The fact is that it was just talk without any context and they never wanted that garbage QB from Detroit. Maybe just trying to make McVay feel good with their new trash QB? who knows
Sure it is. If they actually tried there'd be an offer. There wasn't. There never was.

Context, got listen to the pod when Kyle explained it in detail. He was told by his agent that they didn't have to make an offer until after the weekend.
Sounds like Jimmy had a good 1st practice and some good clips….love to see it.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

He's on a mission this season mostly because he knows he actually has some competition unlike last year with Beathard and BDN.

You don't make an offer until after you negotiate. They were in the process of talking about it. Here's a direct quote from Shanahan on the matter:

"A half an hour later, my buddy calls me," Shanahan continued. "He's like, 'I'm just telling you, if you want Stafford, you need to get a hold of him right now.' I'm like, 'What do you mean? No, we just talked to people. I can sleep on this. We'll talk to him tomorrow."

"We just talked to people."

Why were they talking to people about Stafford unless their intent was to make an offer for Stafford? The degree to which you people will willfully abandon reality is incredible.

Now do the part where he was told that night to act and he didn't please.

"No, we just talked to people. I can sleep on this."
Sure it is. If they actually tried there'd be an offer. There wasn't. There never was.

Context, got listen to the pod when Kyle explained it in detail. He was told by his agent that they didn't have to make an offer until after the weekend.
Kyle spoke to who's agent ?

if it's that same pod cast.. i didn't here the word agent at all. Lynch usually handles that stuff, so the "people" he said they talked to were most likely his own (Lynch & Co) who relayed/talked to Detroits People.
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jul 29, 2021 at 9:54 AM ]

Originally posted by Sickaa:

He's on a mission this season mostly because he knows he actually has some competition unlike last year with Beathard and BDN.

Seems so odd that that would be the thing that motivates him to finally get to his potential, since he's a professional athlete. I can see it, but he also took a lot of criticism last year, so maybe that has also really motivated him. Regardless, as long as the product on the field is improved, I couldn't care less about the why.

Come back to reality.

Who knows? The fact is that it was just talk without any context and they never wanted that garbage QB from Detroit. Maybe just trying to make McVay feel good with their new trash QB? who knows
Sounds more like you're grasping at straws because you desperately don't want to have to put your Limited Edition Jimmy G Super Stud Briefs in a yard sale.

EDIT - and before you get your feelings hurt, I already have my Limited Edition Trey Lance Superhero Silk Briefs. I also have the heart-monitoring bra that came with them. It provides support without causing discomfort, and is also stylish without being scandalous.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Jul 29, 2021 at 9:54 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

if it's that same pod cast.. i didn't here the word agent at all. Lynch usually handles that stuff, so the "people" he said they talked to were most likely his own (Lynch & Co) who relayed/talked to Detroits People.

Kyle said he was interested. It's over.

Not sure why it matters. The point was there was intent to acquire Stafford. Clearly and obviously.

This will all be moot if Jimmy G really has gotten better. But only the cultiest of the cultists will deny that Shanahan was actively looking to upgrade the starting quarterback position. Watson would have been in this discussion as well, if not for his legal troubles. Also Aaron Rodgers.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Jul 29, 2021 at 9:57 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by random49er:

Kyle said he was interested. It's over.

and they also called the packers around rodgers.. its over.. move forward please
Share 49ersWebzone