LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 132 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
"McVay: "What did you think when you saw that we traded for Stafford?"

Shanahan: "You don't want to get me started, dude. That was frustrating."

Why would Shanahan be frustrated that McVay traded for Stafford if Shanahan didn't want to trade for Stafford?

Lol with quotes like this I really dont know what else needs to be said.
"I was trying to get involved in it. Someone who had knowledge on the situation—I remember us talking to (Stafford's agent Tom) Condon, everyone just to find out when it was happening. I remember Saturday, I was so stressed out, and finally we talked to someone—it was like seven at night—and they're like, 'No, nothing's happening. At the earliest, til tomorrow, so you can finish your night.'"

Yep, definitely not interested in trading for Stafford. The cognitive dissonance is both amazing AND hysterical.

Let's call it a wrap peeps. This staff did what they could to upgrade.

It's over and it's on to TC.....we got a young stud in Lance and I'm sure out coaching staff and FO are quite happy. They spent for him for a reason.
Originally posted by random49er:

Why would Shanahan be frustrated that McVay traded for Stafford if Shanahan didn't want to trade for Stafford?

Lol with quotes like this I really dont know what else needs to be said.
Frustrated that he waited so long ?
"I was trying to get involved in it. Someone who had knowledge on the situation—I remember us talking to (Stafford's agent Tom) Condon, everyone just to find out when it was happening. I remember Saturday, I was so stressed out, and finally we talked to someone—it was like seven at night—and they're like, 'No, nothing's happening. At the earliest, til tomorrow, so you can finish your night.'"

Yep, definitely not interested in trading for Stafford. The cognitive dissonance is both amazing AND hysterical.
Shann said he would also try to throw a wrench if they were going after Julio

Tell me why the delay in trying to get a hold of Det ?

Haven't you heard? mInD gAMeS
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by K1ngAsD3rek:
Sure it is. If they actually tried there'd be an offer. There wasn't. There never was.

Context, got listen to the pod when Kyle explained it in detail. He was told by his agent that they didn't have to make an offer until after the weekend.
Kyle spoke to who's agent ?

if it's that same pod cast.. i didn't here the word agent at all. Lynch usually handles that stuff, so the "people" he said they talked to were most likely his own (Lynch & Co) who relayed/talked to Detroits People.

Kyle said he was interested. It's over.
that has nothing to do with the claim of trying to trade for him

Kyle is interested in everyone.. as he and lynch expressed since day one

The latter sentence is b******t and there is no doubt that you are aware of that. You know, as does everyone here, that Kyle was actively looking to upgrade the starting QB position. Hence the discussions about Stafford. Hence the call about Rodgers. Hence the trading of two first round picks+ for the right to choose Trey Lance.
lol it's not BS. They have said that. You are trying to make interest into officially trying to trade for someone is false

We were tied to every avail QB.. it doesn't mean we tried to trade or sign everyone is the point

No, I'm not, and neither is anyone else here. This is what I'm saying: Kyle Shanahan wanted to upgrade the starting QB position. In doing so, he investigated opportunities to upgrade the starting QB position. One of those opportunities — one in which he obviously had intent to consummate if the intended negotiations would prove advantageous, according to the obvious inference from his own words — was with Matthew Stafford, who by said inference, he clearly believed would have been an upgrade.

Additionally, it is clear and obvious he viewed Aaron Rodgers as being a superior choice, both over Jimmy and Trey (and anyone else they might have considered to be draftable at 3). And rightfully so, as all video evidence suggests that is the case.

But at no point was my argument or anyone else's argument that we "officially attempted to trade" for anyone. Kyle has said that he wanted further opportunity to negotiate a trade, and that he lost the opportunity to do so due to incorrect information he was given. There is no other possible reasonable interpretation of the words that came out of his mouth.

"No, we just talked to people. I can sleep on this."

He would have nothing to "sleep on" if he didn't think Stafford was an upgrade. He wouldn't have even considered it, because no trade would have been worth it, short of Detroit giving us extra pics for Jimmy. Likewise with Rodgers. No call would have ever been made. And likewise with Trey. No trade would have been made.

But once again I must qualify this post: Just because Jimmy hasn't been good enough for our coach to be fully satisfied with in the past does not mean he hasn't made significant strides this off-season. Unlike 2019, when he threw 5 pics right off the bat, all signs indicated that he finally got better. The better he has gotten, the better our chances of winning a Super Bowl, and higher pick we'll get when we trade him next season.
please show me where he said in his own words he wanted to negotiate a trade ?

You keep throwing jimmy fan stuff, but it's not going to work with me. The 49ers kick the tires on everyone every year. There was plenty of time to get the trade done if they needed to.

I wanted Watson and i feel the 49ers wanted him also. I also feel that is the reason Stafford wasn't an urgent need as we had options to upgrade QB still ahead of us with the possiblity of Watson and the draft (which was my offseason hopes at QB)

"A half an hour later, my buddy calls me. He's like, 'I'm just telling you, if you want Stafford, you need to get a hold of him right now.' I'm like, 'What do you mean? No, we just talked to people. I can sleep on this. We'll talk to him tomorrow."

Why would THEY be talking to "people" about Stafford, and why would THEY want to talk to him tomorrow, if the intent was not to attempt to negotiate a trade? And what other player have they done that with, since they "kick the tires on everyone every year?" The implication you are making is that they ALWAYS do exactly what they did here with respect to Stafford. Because you're trying to equate that with "kicking the tires," even though it's patently obvious the intent was to discuss trade parameters.
because we talk to all options that can help our team. That doesn't mean anything more

We've talked to Texans about Watson, we've talked to GB . add all other avail players that we've talked to and nothing happened. talk is talk

This is a shameful cop-out, and I'm not gonna lie, your desperation to avoid reality is, uh, peaking my interest, so to speak.

Let's just be clear though: You believe Shanahan talking to the Lions, or Stafford's people, about possibly trading for Stafford, and then being undercut by the Rams, and Shanahan lamenting that fact, is exactly the same as whatever alleged inquiries we had about Watson, correct?
We both agree we wanted upgrades, correct ?

I disagree on how bad Stafford was on Kyle's list. Due to not contacting Detriot until a week later when the Rams were already negotiating with Det

When the 49ers want someone, they don't wait. We either get them or find out we were outbid later

He wasn't originally interested in him. The interest came late (according to what he said). He said in that same interview I'm quoting that he had studied Stafford a bit coming out, but not really much since. He also said that after other people told him it might be possible to get him, that he did study Stafford and realized he had underrated him (his exact word), and that he was "the man" (again, his exact words). So, originally, he wasn't interested. Then he (clearly) was, but it appears that all along his heart was set on drafting a QB. After all, if you follow the timing, he wanted Lance in January, and the Stafford thing just kind of happened haphazardly from the 49ers' angle, so it suggests (although I can't prove this), that the Stafford situation was just an unexpected turn of events, and upon studying is when he realized he would have interest. And it was, of course, too little too late. Which I think is better for us, because Lance can do things neither Jimmy nor Stafford can do, and is much younger.

He also explained that in the interview (and I think I mentioned it in my last response to you): he didn't originally have interest in Stafford until he found out it might be possible to get him, and upon finding that out, studied film, and upon studying film of Stafford, he realized he had "underrated him" (his own words) and that he was "the man" (his own words).

The correct events seem to be that Shanahan originally was set on drafting Jimmy's replacement, then got side tracked by the Stafford situation (and upon watching film, attempted to get involved in trade discussions), and then later got side tracked by the Rodgers situation, and then finally settled upon his original choice with Trey Lance.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime
When the 49ers want someone, they don't wait. We either get them or find out we were outbid later

For a guy that stated he keeps going on with this Stafford stuff because of "reality and facts" are important,...gotta say that you just pulled this out of nowhere.

Unless your last name is York or something, you haven't a clue in the world what the 49ers do when they want someone. You just flat out purported a falsehood that you wouldn't in a million years be able to back up.

You don't always bid or "TAKE" players that you want. This is just blatantly false. You do know that the vast majority of players you'd probably want are pretty much under contract, right?

I tell you what. Go by your own suggestion and return towards the facts and the facts only if you must continue dragging this ended subject on forward.
[ Edited by random49er on Jul 29, 2021 at 1:17 PM ]
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Wtf are you guys even arguing about? Training camp is here and as of now Jimmy is QB1. Move on

yeah seriously. we have actual content to talk about and they're still going back and forth about s**t that doesn't f**king matter all the way from the spring

You've taught them well.

they have nothing to do with me. i dont respond to them. you've lurked more consistently this offseason more than I have, so no doubt you've wasted more time out of your life in these types of conversations 100%

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Wtf are you guys even arguing about? Training camp is here and as of now Jimmy is QB1. Move on

yeah seriously. we have actual content to talk about and they're still going back and forth about s**t that doesn't f**king matter all the way from the spring

MaTT STaFfoRD….

cAbO
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime

For a guy that stated he keeps going on with this Stafford stuff because of "reality and facts" are important,...gotta say that you just pulled this out of nowhere.

Unless your last name is York or something, you haven't a clue in the world what the 49ers do when they want someone. You just flat out purported a falsehood that you wouldn't in a million years be able to back up.

You don't always bid or "TAKE" players that you want. This is just blatantly false. You do know that the vast majority of players you'd probably want are pretty much under contract, right?

I tell you what. Go by your own suggestion and return towards the facts and the facts only if you must continue dragging this ended subject on forward.
i keep going on due these posts above

I don't need to be jed york, the reports come out if we placed a bid or lost a trade to add players or not.. Like this stafford thing on us not getting an offer in

He also explained that in the interview (and I think I mentioned it in my last response to you): he didn't originally have interest in Stafford until he found out it might be possible to get him, and upon finding that out, studied film, and upon studying film of Stafford, he realized he had "underrated him" (his own words) and that he was "the man" (his own words).

The correct events seem to be that Shanahan originally was set on drafting Jimmy's replacement, then got side tracked by the Stafford situation (and upon watching film, attempted to get involved in trade discussions), and then later got side tracked by the Rodgers situation, and then finally settled upon his original choice with Trey Lance.
That Mcvay pod cast has Kyle and Mcvay studying film since Stafford got into the league. They both loved him back then. not sure where this underatting him is about, unless he is underrating his trade potential
I don't need to be jed york, the reports come out if we placed a bid or lost a trade to add players or not.. Like this stafford thing on us not getting an offer in

You linked wanting a player directly to getting the player, or making an offer to a player. This just doesnt make any sense at all.

Aaron Donald for example,...you're claiming that we'd have him if we wanted him by now. Or if not, you're certain that we've made trade offers for him. The 3rd category if it's not 1 of these 1st two is we simply would not want Aaron Donald on this team.

Without realizing it (because you dont know what you're saying),...you took that situation and applied it to every single player on all of the other 31 teams in regards to the 49ers. It's just nonsensical.
Share 49ersWebzone