There are 160 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

that last sentence shows this guy is full of s**t.

Like I always say, numbers lie and liars use numbers. You can say he had the lowest air yards - we ran like 12 effing screens. Why? How good was our run game? Serious question. How good? We had one big run to Hasty - late in the game AFTER we ran about 11 screens and before that we were at about 2 yards per carry.
PHI's D line was penetrating aggressively every. single. play. It was an attempt to slow them down. It worked. It opened up a big run to set up a touchdown late in the game.

But sure, "lowest of any week 2 starter" without any context to the chess match of the game. It's why I don't give 2 rat farts about these kinds of "analysis".

I keep saying that air yards is a function of the offense/gameplan, not the QB. Especially when using that stat for one game. Screen passes take the decision making process out of the QB's hands because he has to throw the screen pass - he has no choice, he's executing the playcall. If Jimmy attempted a hail mary, would that bump the air yards up to 5? Is that how that stat works? If so, that illustrates how silly that stat is.

Exactly. The Eagles were also playing tons of soft zone, forcing short throws underneath - that was their game-plan. Unless Jimmy G was just gonna YOLO it, it was gonna be a lot of short completions for most of the day.

Like I always say, numbers lie and liars use numbers. You can say he had the lowest air yards - we ran like 12 effing screens. Why? How good was our run game? Serious question. How good? We had one big run to Hasty - late in the game AFTER we ran about 11 screens and before that we were at about 2 yards per carry.
PHI's D line was penetrating aggressively every. single. play. It was an attempt to slow them down. It worked. It opened up a big run to set up a touchdown late in the game.

But sure, "lowest of any week 2 starter" without any context to the chess match of the game. It's why I don't give 2 rat farts about these kinds of "analysis".

I keep saying that air yards is a function of the offense/gameplan, not the QB. Especially when using that stat for one game. Screen passes take the decision making process out of the QB's hands because he has to throw the screen pass - he has no choice, he's executing the playcall. If Jimmy attempted a hail mary, would that bump the air yards up to 5? Is that how that stat works? If so, that illustrates how silly that stat is.

Exactly. The Eagles were also playing tons of soft zone, forcing short throws underneath - that was their game-plan. Unless Jimmy G was just gonna YOLO it, it was gonna be a lot of short completions for most of the day.

I really appreciate you and thl408 for seeing the entire picture and not doing a "fantasy football" approach to players and the game.

The game plan shouldn't impact CPoE.

His AYPA in this game is not that different from the last 3 seasons where he's been near last in AYPA each season.

Even the Announcers made note during the game that the Niners adjusted their offence to take advantage of the Eagles D attacking up the field. Moved from direct handoffs to more toss plays. Went to a heavy Screen game to RBs, TEs, WRs & more quick short passes.

Did this clown even watch the game? Fox Broadcast team could see what was happening.

What's next? a Blazin' Hot Take about how low JG's avg yards per rush is?

His AYPA in this game is not that different from the last 3 seasons where he's been near last in AYPA each season.

yet his ANY/A is top 5 so far this year

the Jimmy haters are still holding onto air yards?
  • thl408

What is CPoE?
I don't need to see an Air Yards stat to know that Jimmy does not take deep shots on traditional dropback passing plays. We all see it when we watch the games. But we have to understand why that stat is skewed - because of the playcalls in this SF offense that asks for screens, and bootlegs to Kittle/Deebo etc. Those playcalls skew the stat to make it look like all Jimmy does is check it down, which we know isn't true from watching the games. 3.6 air yards is pathetic if all we do it look at that stat without watching the game to understand the playcalls being dialed up.

This stat probably belongs in the Deebo thread since he's either 1st or 2nd in YACoE.
This stat probably belongs in the Deebo thread since he's either 1st or 2nd in YACoE.

What is CPoE?
I don't need to see an Air Yards stat to know that Jimmy does not take deep shots on traditional dropback passing plays. We all see it when we watch the games. But we have to understand why that stat is skewed - because of the playcalls in this SF offense that asks for screens, and bootlegs to Kittle/Deebo etc. Those playcalls skew the stat to make it look like all Jimmy does is check it down, which we know isn't true from watching the games. 3.6 air yards is pathetic if all we do it look at that stat without watching the game to understand the playcalls being dialed up.

Completion Percentage over Expectation, essentially the difference between the QB's completion percentage vs. the probability of those passes being completed.

Nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#completionPercentageAboveExpectation
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Sep 22, 2021 at 12:50 PM ]

Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Tman:
Originally posted by Sinsation:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Jimmy Garoppolo pocket mobility >>>>> Trey Lance pocket mobility

Jimmy has greatly improved that this year I've noticed.

Jimmy looks more nimble, but Trey is by far the better runner.

Pocket mobility is not the same as being a runner. Tom Brady might be the slowest player in the NFL but has great pocket mobility.

Yeah, I shouldn't just say better runner, Trey is also more mobile in the pocket.

Is he? That would be awesome if true, not sure I can definitively say that right now though

From the tape he looks real mobile, I don't know what you've been looking at.

Do you have tape on his pocket movements vs nfl defenses? He sure did take a lot of sacks in the PS but I know he was mostly behind the second string.

Not sure what you have been looking at but if he has better pocket mobility the Jimmy right now then we are stoked

What is CPoE?

Yes...
People are arguing that we should use less Deebo and Kittle.

KaThump Kathump you hear that. Oh it's the goal post's moving again.
Completion Percentage over Expectation, essentially the difference between the QB's completion percentage vs. the probability of those passes being completed.

Nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#completionPercentageAboveExpectation

Sounds very subjective.
What is the formula used to determine probability?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sinsation:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Jimmy Garoppolo pocket mobility >>>>> Trey Lance pocket mobility

Jimmy has greatly improved that this year I've noticed.

Jimmy looks more nimble, but Trey is by far the better runner.

Pocket mobility is not the same as being a runner. Tom Brady might be the slowest player in the NFL but has great pocket mobility.

Yeah, I shouldn't just say better runner, Trey is also more mobile in the pocket.

Is he? That would be awesome if true, not sure I can definitively say that right now though

From the tape he looks real mobile, I don't know what you've been looking at.

Do you have tape on his pocket movements vs nfl defenses? He sure did take a lot of sacks in the PS but I know he was mostly behind the second string.

Not sure what you have been looking at but if he has better pocket mobility the Jimmy right now then we are stoked

I'm mainly going by his college tape. He navigates the pocket pretty good. I don't know why people don't see it.
Share 49ersWebzone