Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
NFL.COM QB Index

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-week-3-2021-season-rankings

Don't shoot the messenger, not me saying it

Lol that list is garbage!!!

D.Jones is 16th for the 0-2 Giants...enough said.

Yeah too bad there isn't team rankings to reflect that.

Compare their records and personal stats this season...Jimmy is posting better numbers across the board and has his team at 2-0 vs 0-2. But because of that east coast bias you can be an avg QB completing 63% of your passes and be seen as a better QB.

Don't die on this guys hill..

PFF has Daniel Jones as the 6th best QB so far this season, but the team around him is garbage.

And so is he, have you seen the type of decisions and throws he makes. If it were Jimmy you would crucify him twice!!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Hey I'm team Lance but...

Taylor, Bridgewater, Big Ben, and D Jones have no business being above him.

This. Instant credibility alert.
it's all about air yards, forget the dubs
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
For my part, I'm not defending Jimmy at all. People take it that way with how I'm presenting the argument about the deep ball. I'm defending my view on the offense. I just don't see the shots there to be made. So, for examples, I'm working through the film and so I just took pics with my phone but here's 4/5 pass plays in a row that weren't screens. The 5th had no route deeper than 9 yards.

This was a dagger concept - streak is doubled. Jimmy got hit as he was throwing and this sailed too high for Aiyuk on a DIG.

Go route is triple covered

Tampa-2 coverage bracketing the fade

C-4 palms, corner is in perfect position and safety help inside as well. This was JG's worst throw, IMO. He had Sanu on the out and just missed him.

These aren't cherry picked, they're sequential - who here thinks Jimmy G should've thrown the deep ball in these situations? Anyone?

Just bumping this. I just don't see the defense not respecting our deep routes.

Jonnydel destroying false narratives one play at a time...

This feels like a bit of a bump and I'll already admit this is actually quite the strawman, but I feel like there are people out there that would say that "good quarterbacks" would have "attempted the deep shots and completed them anyways" and that there's a notion out there of supreme arm talent vs taking what the defense gives you.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
NFL.COM QB Index

Lol that list is garbage!!!

D.Jones is 16th for the 0-2 Giants...enough said.

Yeah too bad there isn't team rankings to reflect that.

Compare their records and personal stats this season...Jimmy is posting better numbers across the board and has his team at 2-0 vs 0-2. But because of that east coast bias you can be an avg QB completing 63% of your passes and be seen as a better QB.

Don't die on this guys hill..

PFF has Daniel Jones as the 6th best QB so far this season, but the team around him is garbage.

PFF's QB ratings are a joke. They literally give style points. That's what it measures. QB's are given a zero for executing the play as they think it was meant to be.

OL is a little better, but even then doesn't account for scheme. Trent Williams called it out last year, said they had him credited with sacks given up on the year when the 49ers in house analysis unit - that actually knows the scheme of the plays called, had him with 0.

danny dimes lol
PFF's QB ratings are a joke. They literally give style points. That's what it measures. QB's are given a zero for executing the play as they think it was meant to be.

OL is a little better, but even then doesn't account for scheme. Trent Williams called it out last year, said they had him credited with sacks given up on the year when the 49ers in house analysis unit - that actually knows the scheme of the plays called, had him with 0.

Tells me all I need to know about PFF's QB ratings.
NFL.COM QB Index

"Kyle Shanahan's ability to problem solve and find Garoppolo open throws in the second half is why the 49ers can still win with him, even if the passing game is slants to Deebo Samuel and screens to everyone else."

Does Rosenthal even football? He's clueless. Rewatch all 6 Deebo catches from Week 2. Where are the slants?
Drag, Curl, Curl, Dig, Flat, Dig.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by boast:

that last sentence shows this guy is full of s**t.

Like I always say, numbers lie and liars use numbers. You can say he had the lowest air yards - we ran like 12 effing screens. Why? How good was our run game? Serious question. How good? We had one big run to Hasty - late in the game AFTER we ran about 11 screens and before that we were at about 2 yards per carry.
PHI's D line was penetrating aggressively every. single. play. It was an attempt to slow them down. It worked. It opened up a big run to set up a touchdown late in the game.

But sure, "lowest of any week 2 starter" without any context to the chess match of the game. It's why I don't give 2 rat farts about these kinds of "analysis".

I keep saying that air yards is a function of the offense/gameplan, not the QB. Especially when using that stat for one game. Screen passes take the decision making process out of the QB's hands because he has to throw the screen pass - he has no choice, he's executing the playcall. If Jimmy attempted a hail mary, would that bump the air yards up to 5? Is that how that stat works? If so, that illustrates how silly that stat is.

The game plan shouldn't impact CPoE.

His AYPA in this game is not that different from the last 3 seasons where he's been near last in AYPA each season.

Yes it will. When teams start getting up by a lot, the coverages change and because CPoE isn't based off coverage, it's purely based off distance of throw based off averages, it won't take that into account. Not every 12 yard throws is the same depending on down and distance, lead in the game or coverage.

CPoE has Teddy Bridgewater ahead of Patrick Mahomes right now - are we really going to believe that's a highly reliable metric? Teddy Bridgewater is 2nd in the league. Why? Matthew stafford is ranked 18th, 4 spots behind our own Jimmy G - yet a whole ton of people here said Matthew Stafford was lightyears ahead of Jimmy in arm talent.

Air yards per attempt - No, it wasn't the same....In this game it was almost half of what his AYPA was in 2019 - might have something to do with the bajillion screen plays called - that's why I hate that metric. It's literally a fantasy football metric and has shown zero correlation to wins/losses.

NFL's official next gen stat does account for how open the receiver is, but even if you use the publicly available version of the stat, the impact of variance in different situations will be filtered out over time.

Stafford is ahead of Jimmy by about 3.5 percentage points in CPOE. Jimmy is 26th. Stafford is 20th.

Also, regarding Teddy Bridgewater vs Mahomes, Teddy has played well so far this season, but relying on any single stat is not going to tell the whole story and nobody would ever claim that a single stat does.

Jimmy's AYPA was half of his 2019 avg, but he ranked 31st in 2019 and so far is headed to a similar ranking.

Nothing I've seen in their explanation of CPoE shows accounting for proximity of defenders. CPoE is a tool, but will still not tell you more than film will. That's why, even with all these advanced metrics, Kyle's not going to come out and say, "well, we see that their QB is ranked "x" in AYPA so we know we need to focus on this area of the field - no, he's gonna say, "you see on film what they're trying to do". There's not as many secrets as you'd think in the league in terms of what guys want to do and how they operate their stuff. That's why the chess match is so close each week. We're talking master chess players. Each one knows what move will counter what and it's all about precision in move making.

I've never seen anyone correlate CPoE to wins/losses, I've never seen anyone correlate AYPA to points scored and game-winning drives. It's a tool used by fans to try and prove points or evaluate players. I'll keep saying it til I die. Numbers lie and liars use numbers. Every cable news program says they are the "most watched". yeah, ok, "most watched by rural landowners who own 2 or more pickups between the ages of 52 and 60 who use John Deer tractors". Numbers tell part of a story but, IMO, should never be used in any sort of real analysis of how good/not good a player is. If we put all the numbers together over a long period of time the aggregate can tell us something but using CPoE in week 2 of the season and AYPA to prove anything is just using numbers to win an argument.
Originally posted by 5Jan2003:
Jimmy's girlfriend gave him a dart and a poster of a world map.

She said, "Throw this and wherever it lands I'm taking you on vacation when this season is over."

Turns out they're going to be spending two weeks behind the refrigerator.

Originally posted by Heed49er:

Even the Announcers made note during the game that the Niners adjusted their offence to take advantage of the Eagles D attacking up the field. Moved from direct handoffs to more toss plays. Went to a heavy Screen game to RBs, TEs, WRs & more quick short passes.

Did this clown even watch the game?

Anyone with All-22 access care to post the 1st half misses passing the ball before we got into rhythm on that last drive? All-22 or it didn't happen.

It's amazing how our own fans can erase out of their minds whatever they wish...even stuff only a couple days old.
NFL.COM QB Index

Lol they had Winston ahead of Jimmy after only 1 week.
[ Edited by random49er on Sep 22, 2021 at 9:52 PM ]
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
no one is minimizing Deebo tho. nice false argument.

but youre clearly minimizing Jimmy

It's what some of these posters do, either subtly or not so subtly, and in the process it reveals some things about actual football knowledge.

look at Ring's post history in this thread. 99% of the tweets posted are an attempt to put Jimmy in a negative light

How is this related to the 49ers? DM him if you have issues with his post history percentage or whatever else.
Just rewatching some plays from the game...

The sneak with 25 some odd seconds left in the 2nd quarter where he got hit at the line and pushed back--10/10 times the old Jimmy would have given upright there and hit the dirt for the loss and 4th down.

But he plowed forward for more than enough yardage for the obvious 1st.

I loved seeing that.
Originally posted by TyCore:
Just rewatching some plays from the game...

The sneak with 25 some odd seconds left in the 2nd quarter where he got hit at the line and pushed back--10/10 times the old Jimmy would have given upright there and hit the dirt for the loss and 4th down.

But he plowed forward for more than enough yardage for the obvious 1st.

I loved seeing that.

Jimmy learned from Brady on QB Sneaks. He's never given up on a QB sneak
Share 49ersWebzone