There are 199 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Jimmy is injured, coming off a horrible game, and has to okay a trade to happen. I just don't see how it favors us at all..... If any team was interested they would just wait till he gets cut, but I could be totally wrong so theres that.

Actually, I'm pretty sure he doesn't.

If we tried to trade him today? Yeah he would have to agree to it. But I believe sometime next year, I want to say end of March, that no trade clause goes away and he doesn't have to give his okay about being traded or to whom he's traded. This has been reported and it's hard to imagine that they just made something like that up. It's I'd presume pretty atypical and very understandable that probably almost no one is aware of that.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Jimmy is injured, coming off a horrible game, and has to okay a trade to happen. I just don't see how it favors us at all..... If any team was interested they would just wait till he gets cut, but I could be totally wrong so theres that.

Actually, I'm pretty sure he doesn't.

If we tried to trade him today? Yeah he would have to agree to it. But I believe sometime next year, I want to say end of March, that no trade clause goes away and he doesn't have to give his okay about being traded or to whom he's traded. This has been reported and it's hard to imagine that they just made something like that up. It's I'd presume pretty atypical and very understandable that probably almost no one is aware of that.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by jcs:
He didn't lose his thumb, he'll be healthy in just over a month.

He'll also be healthy in the offseason and there are plenty of teams that desperately need a QB who wins nearly 70% of the games he starts. I'm sure most of those teams won't also hamper him with a POS Oline and poor pass protection like Kyle has in their 4.5 seasons together.

Here we go again with this nonsense of attributing team stats to the QB.
Which team wants an injury-prone, 27+ million QB who is a statue, a turnover machine while offering next to zero downfield or big play upside, while also unable to read defenses consistently in year 8 in the league ?

Um, well Denver was mentioned and a team that can't draft one at all and kept giving guys like Brock Osweiler, Paxton Lynch, and Drew Lock might be interested.

A team that George Seifert coach a long time ago that thought Sam Darnold and Cam Newton could be rehabbed might be interested.

A team that hasn't remotely successfully found Big Ben's replacement might be interested.

A team that replaced a Hall of Fame QB with a gimmick QB and arguable bust of a #1 overall pick, and given his draft status is a bust who also has a offensive minded head coach might be interested.

Injury prone, sure.

The next team is not necessarily going to pay him that much money and likely won't. Yes they take on his contract but that's also why there are negotiations even on that during trades where we perhaps would stay be paying a portion of that.

A statue, unfortunately

A turnover machine is an exaggeration and just an emotional "I hate Jimmy" or at best "He frustrates the heck out of me" rant.

That said there is some truth to your critique of him. But that still nonetheless ignores just how many QB's in this league aren't that great and are all kind of bunched in the roughly equivalent to Jimmy and even not as good as Jimmy category. As well as how many teams have for years and years and years now not adequately or successfully addressed the position whether in terms of finding a quality starter or finding a replacement for their long time starter. Can't draft one worth a crap. Can't/won't commit to signing one worth a crap.

Jimmy is certainly at this stage not anyone's future at the position. But if a team views him as indeed a Alex Smith type or even peak Andy Dalton type good enough placeholder for however long they'll take him.

I guess it's just a fanbase thing. We almost always look harder at our own players's faults than other teams do. Especially other teams who are really really bad or have a bigger need in a spot than we do.

Jimmy is certainly no one's future
Originally posted by OhioNiner:

A team that replaced a Hall of Fame QB with a gimmick QB and arguable bust of a #1 overall pick, and given his draft status is a bust who also has a offensive minded head coach might be interested.

What team is this?
Originally posted by a49erfan77:

What team is this?

sounds like new orleans
Originally posted by swaccmac1:

What team is this?

sounds like new orleans

Toronto Argonauts
Originally posted by swaccmac1:

What team is this?

sounds like new orleans

Ah right. I was reading gimmick QB and #1 bust as the same person, not as two. Thanks.

What team is this?

New Orleans. Lost Drew Brees, replaced him initially with a combination of Taysom Hill and Jameis Winston. Mostly Winston
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
There is no conspiracy.

The only way the injury is fake is if Jimmy is in on it. And if Jimmy is in on it that says a lot about his character and Im glad were moving on.

With that said, I absolutely do no believe that is the case. As much as I have not been happy with Jimmys play, I dont think hes a quitter like that. And if it turned out the Niners were lying about the injury the backlash and accompanying lawsuit would be insane.

The guy is hurt. Theres a million reasons why he may not have had issues opening that bottle. Lets move on from the stupid conspiracy talk.

I'm not sure with him anymore and what he says. Remember earlier in the year when he hurt his calf? He said right after the game, before even an MRI was taken, "looks I may be out a few weeks ". Steve Young the next day commented that he's never seen an NFL QB declare himself out like that before getting doctors opinions. Next thing we know it was just a bruise.

So if Jimmy or his agent are just saying to lay low and sit out, this is pretty much like the college players preserving themselves and their draft stock instead of playing in bowl games. CMC did it, as well as other notable players not wanting to risk their value.

The Texans defense sucks and he owns the Rams. He would increase his value by starting these last two games.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
The Texans defense sucks and he owns the Rams. He would increase his value by starting these last two games.

With a ligament tear and a bone chip his chances of being able to play are about as close to zero as it gets. I agree it would incr his market value, but with his two injuries to the thumb, i just don't see it.
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
This injury removed any possibility of him being traded. The cap number, limited ability, and injury history will necessitate him being cut.

He didn't lose his thumb, he'll be healthy in just over a month.

He'll also be healthy in the offseason and there are plenty of teams that desperately need a QB who wins nearly 70% of the games he starts. I'm sure most of those teams won't also hamper him with a POS Oline and poor pass protection like Kyle has in their 4.5 seasons together.

Yeah, Jimmy will have a much better chance to succeed away from Shanahan.

This could make a inter divisional trade to Sea even better. Can you imagine Jimmy G with the Seahawks O line?

Even the weaker DLines would rejoice.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

With a ligament tear and a bone chip his chances of being able to play are about as close to zero as it gets. I agree it would incr his market value, but with his two injuries to the thumb, i just don't see it.

I agree, I was disagreeing with the idea that he is doing this to protect his value.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Dec 29, 2021 at 8:23 AM ]
Jimmy value isn't improving or decreasing over any 2 game stretch. The whole league knows who he is and what his value is at this point.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Jimmy value isn't improving or decreasing over any 2 game stretch. The whole league knows who he is and what his value is at this point.

Exactly right. His injured thumb shouldn't have any bearing on whatever trade value he has either since full recovery is expected in 6-8 weeks if he has surgery.
The no trade clause expires in March, 2022. That would allow the Niners to trade him to anyone prior to or after the 2022 draft.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The no trade clause expires in March, 2022. That would allow the Niners to trade him to anyone prior to or after the 2022 draft.

I thought I saw there's an $8M cap hit for next year on his contract. Do we eat that as part of making that trade ? Does that amount reduce what his new team would have to pay him?
Share 49ersWebzone